What's new

Official Samsung 1200 Blu-Ray player thread (1 Viewer)

John Lloyd

Second Unit
I had a lot of problems with the DVD of the movie "Fracture". It kept stuttering and freezing in the middle of the film. It was a rental disc but I could not see any dirt or scratches on the disc. After cleaning the disc, the problems continued. I switched to my HD-DVD A2 and it had no problems with the disc.

However I have been very satisfied with my player over the last few months so I am willing to overlook one disc that had problems.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Is the BDP1400 identical to the 1200 in performance?

Edit: looks like the 1400 lacks the reon chip. have to go to the 2400 to equal the 1200 performance.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I ordered my 1200 the other day. scored a used on for $350. cant wait for it to get here.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
I got this player over the weekend and watched Dracula in BD without any incident.

But I watched two SDs last night and experienced freezing with both of them.

I suppose I should try and grab the latest Firmware update off of Samsung's site before I return this, though. A shame really, becuase I was really happy with it up until last night.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
I ended up taking this back to Best Buy today, after trying to watch Someone's Watching Me and having it freeze up right at the layer change.

This disc was new, right from the package (as was Return of the Living Dead the night before) and without any scratches, etc.

I exchanged it for a Sony player which I'm hoping will give me better results.

So far, so good and my fingers are crossed.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Ok first problem... My player wont play ROBOCOP. It just continually tries to load with no result. gonna try it on a ps3... then a software update for the samsung.

Edit: Software updated, problem solved. Robocop now plays perfectly.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Im sure this has been addressed in other threads, but i thought I'd keep this specific to the BD-P1200.

I have a Denon AVR3806. According to the denon website, it supports PCM 5.1 via HDMI. how should I have my samsung set up? bitstream? PCM? what happens to Dolby TruHD and DTS HD tracks?

zuddal

Grip
Real Name
john
I would buy this player, but I'm waiting for a BD deck that does everything that BD is supposed to do. Until a unit like that arrives, I'll stick with the BDP1000(which isn't a bad player at all with the latest firmware).

John Lloyd

Second Unit
Is anyone else having problems playing standard CDs?

The Samsung "hiccups" every few minutes and makes it impossible to listen to music. It seems to happen on every CD I have tried.

My Toshiba HD DVD player has no problems with CDs.

genomovie

Grip
Real Name
gene
Samsung needs to get there firmware upgrades in order. I've had two new movies in the last four weeks that wouldn't play on my 1200. RESCUE DAWN & 3:10 TO YUMA.:frowning: Anyone else?

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
mine had trouble with IRON GIANT: SE. standard def. hiccups every few minutes. have not tried the titles you mention.

John Lloyd

Second Unit
I can't get Disc 4 of "Prison Break" to load. The first three discs worked just fine. This is really annoying.

After trying several things it finally started working.
1) Loaded the disc 5 times and it failed every time.
2) Loaded a DVD and tried again. It still failed.
3) Loaded a Bluray disc and tried one more time. It loaded immediately.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
I've had problems with some of the extras on Ratatouille. Let's hear from you Samsung! And while you are about it, it is surely not too much to ask for a fireware upgrade to pass high res sound streams to be decoded elsewhere than the player. It can't be too hard!

Real Name
Marty Troum
I am extremely disappointed in Samsung and the problems with the BD-P1200. The company has long recognized the problems with the DVDs "Pirates Of The Caribbean - At World's End" and "Live Free or Die Hard" but the promised firmware upgrades are not yet available (as of 2/4/08). When attempting to reach their technical group, the customer service people are just as much in the dark as I am! They also do not seem to have a way to contact Samsung to get answers to simple questions. This Blu-Ray player is a poor performer and I DO NOT RECOMMEND Samsung Blu-Ray players to anyone!!! When asking around, there seems to be a consensus that Samsung has really created a bunch of lemons in their Blu-Ray players.
Marty T.

Real Name
Marty Troum
Installed the new firmware update (version 2.1) and finally got to watch POTC-AWE. Still some minor glitches, but was able to get around them. I also was able to load and watch "Live Free or Die Hard" but it took quite a bit of time to load. No complaint.....just happy to finally get an update from Samsung.

John Lloyd

Second Unit
Something strange happened last night. I paused a DVD in my Samsung while I answered the phone. I was on the phone for 20-30 minutes and this caused several different screen savers to activate: projector and Bluray player. After a few more minutes the Bluray actually turned itself off.

When I tried to restore playback. I turned the Bluray on and it remembered exactly where it had been paused. Unfortunately there was no video. I watched the HDMI negotiate and the audio was played without any difficulty. I switched to HD DVD and got a picture immediately.

After power cycling the Samsung a few times everything started working again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks