*** Official S.W.A.T. Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Robert Crawford, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "S.W.A.T." please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "S.W.A.T." should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This film wasn't a bad film until the last 30 minutes or so. It's too bad the screenwriters couldn't have come up with a much better plotline than the one that was used to bring this film to closure.

I've seen much worst, but I'm disappointed because it could have been much better.

Anybody else have any thoughts about this film?

Crawdaddy

3. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

What was particularly bad about the last 30 minutes?

I thought it was okay, nothing special. It was great to see Josh Charles, Reed Diamond, and director Meldrick Lewis (oops, Clark Johnson [​IMG]) on the screen again. However, I didn't care for Charles's dark turn, but I liked that he went out with bang. [​IMG]

I noticed that at least a few shots/scenes from the trailer were cut out from the movie, even ones that I think were in the commercials.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The last 30 minutes made you wonder if the bad guys really thought things through given their SWAT training. The "climatic" fight scene between Street and Gamble was average, not too much in terms of intensity or tension.

5. John Warner

John Warner Extra

The climatic Street vs Gambole [

6. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

7. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Overall, it was a pretty good film. It would have been nice to see the front side of the flasher though. [​IMG]

Dave

8. Bill J

Bill J Producer

Anyone else think this film could have been much better with an R rating?

9. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

10. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Supposedly there was a more violent cut that was shown in test screenings, but they tamed things down for the final PG-13 cut.

Did anyone notice the cameo by Steve Forrest ("Hondo" of the S.W.A.T. TV show fame)? He's the driver of the big delivery/holding truck at the very end of the film as the gang makes their delivery at the prison and are thinking about some downtime and then the call comes for another assignment, and they all head back into action.

12. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Yeah, noticed him right off. Rod Perry, who played Deacon on the TV show, also was there as "Deke"'s (James Todd Smith, aka LL Cool J) dad at the restaurant, but I didn't realize that until I read it somewhere.

Unfortunately, the movie continues a bad tradition when adapting TV shows for the big screen: taking one of the existing characters and turning him into a traitor
    . Of course, in this case, it's a minor character hardly anyone knows, unlike some higher-profile ones [cough]Mission Impossible[/cough]

What was the point of having the female officer getting hit in the gun battle? It's like they couldn't figure out what to do with her at the end.

I also noticed in the credits that Samuel L. Jackson had a personal hairdresser.

//Ken

13. david stark

david stark Second Unit

This one pretty much lived up to my expectations, i.e. pretty low. A very formulaic film, didn't bring anything new at all. It certainly did take some time to get going, I would have thought it better if they could have just got the 100 million offer out quicker because it was only after that that it became interesting.

14. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

i found it interesting that they made such a big deal that first swat guy that got shot in the neck (Boxer?) survived. i mean at that point did it really make a difference? the audience would have probably been completely indifferent yet they mentioned it like twice. maybe the movie tested a bit higher with him surviving?

15. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

The worst thing about this movie (beside the first hour) is how it insults the viewer intelligence.

when the swat team comes out of the sewers and the captain tells Samuel Jackson character he thinks they are in on it is just asinine. If the captain felt that way he would not tell them that and instead play along with the swat team.

Also someone in the movie says they will be crawling out of the woodwork to get this guy free for $100 million, yet only 2 groups even try, I was expecting a new bad guy around every corner.

And to throw salt in the viewer's eyeafter the swat team barely stops this guy from getting away and still having to complete the mission we see him at the jail and are supposed to assume the rest of the trip was uneventful, yeah right!

16. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S

17. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

That was a character point for T.J., because he genuinely cared. And for Hondo too because when he first answered, he didn't really know, he made it up. That's why you heard it twice.

//Ken