1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

***Official*** Rotel RSP 1066 Fact and LOGICAL discussion thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steven Phipps, Mar 25, 2002.

1. ChristianVehorn

ChristianVehorn Auditioning

I have my rsp1066 since 2 month and it works fine, except of the mp3 decoding. When I send an mp3-stream to the digital input the display indicates the mpeg stream but there is no sound. My firmware is 1.45. Does anybody know this problem?

Christian

2. John LaCava

John LaCava Auditioning

How are you sending the stream? I also want to do this. I have found the HK DAL 150 which is a USB device and software program capable of sending mp3 bitstream over USB to Digital in on the 1066, but I have yet to find anyway to just use the digital coax or optical out on a soundcard to do this. Are you sending from a hifi separate (like a DVD player?) or from a computer. If from a computer I would love to know how.

Cheers,

J

3. ChristianVehorn

ChristianVehorn Auditioning

Hi John,

I'm sending the stream from a DVD player (from '5th element', german edition).The analog output of the player works well with this DVD.

I also tried to send an mp3 stream from my soundcard (game theater XP) to the rsp1066, but the soundcard converts an mp3 stream to a 48kHz/16bit stream.

Christian

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Guys Rotel's asking for our input again. Can you all please take part in this poll
    Rotel Muting Poll

5. Kevin_Graham

Kevin_Graham Stunt Coordinator

The 1066 represents everything I want in a pre/processer and I'd really like to purchase this piece with the 1075 amp. I've always loved Rotel's sound when matched with B&W speakers. However with the different issues that have been discussed with the 1066 (particularly the bass management issues) I am trying to wait patiently to wait for a resolution from Rotel. While I'm pleased to learn that they are listening to current owners on different HT forums if they are unable to resolve the major issues by next summer my dollars will go elsewhere.

6. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

Kevin, look what # post you are on this thread

7. Kevin_Graham

Kevin_Graham Stunt Coordinator

8. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

Wow !!! 1068 post in here!! Will receive my silver RSP-1066 tomorrow. Will I have any BM problem if my Denon DVD-3800 is doing BM on DVD-Audio? I can set time delay with this DVD-player and there is a simple BM, crossover fix at 80 in multi-channel output.

I don't want to go through all those post (LOL)!!!! I don't have the manual yet, so I just want to know if it's a problem for me. I still got my ICBM dusting-up somewhere in case...

9. Levesque

Bump. I'm still wandering what the best set-up would be with the Denon 3800, RSP-1066 and Rotel RMB-1095:

1) Denon DVD-3800 alone (no ICBM) doing BM (fix cross-over at 80) direct to RSP-1066 or

2) ICBM doing BM, between DVD-player and RSP-1066 (with ICBM screwing my time dealays set in DVD-player) or

3) ICBM between pre-amp and amp, between RSP-1066 and RMB-1095 (ICBM screwing time delays and 3db problem)...

I know there is a lot of RSP-1066 out there who could help me here...

10. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

I thought I'd post here before I put this in the Software section:
    I was watching The Hidden Fortress (Criterion) the other day and noticed that when I chose the "Spectra sound" option, the sound had a mild but noticable bass throbbing. Mono was fine. I have the Silver v 1.3.7 [​IMG]. I have yet to calibrate my speakers via a SPL meter. I have PSB Stratus Silvers L&R fronts Stratus C6 centre, Stratus Mini's L&R surround and a Subsonic 3. [​IMG]

11. Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser Second Unit

Levesque,

I cannot comment on the ICBM, but your solution 1) would give you bass doubling between 80 and 120 Hz. You can avoid that if you put the low pass filter on the sub at 80 Hz.

12. Trevor_J

Trevor_J Second Unit

What is 'Spectra Sound'? Is this a setting from the DVD or on the Rotel? If it's on the Rotel, I've never seen it before.

13. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

Sorry about that. It is indeed from the Criterion DVD menu. Acording tho the DVD menu it is a process that takes three frequencies(pardon if they are not 100% accurate) 30hz 35hz and 40hz then applies them to the mono soundtrack to spread the sound to the 3 front speakers, apparently it was used in some theatres I guess.[​IMG] I have no doubt it is just the limitations in the "Spectrasound " process because the mono track works just fine. The "Spectrasound" does indeed spread the sound across the front nicely but there is that Throbbing. Or maybe my 1066 just gets horney over Kurasawa[​IMG]

14. Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser Second Unit

As far as I know, Criterion took the Spectra Sound and encoded it in normal Dolby Digital, albight only the 3 front channels, because that is all, Spectra Sound can deliver.

15. Levesque

I solve the double-bass issue! I'm using a DVD-3800 with cross-over at 80, and a X-30 set at 80. Cool. Thanks Hartwig!

16. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Ok guys i need some help. I just ordered a 1066/1075 combo and would like to know how to check which firmware version i have. Also, could someone direct me to the instructions on how to update the firmware. I am pretty computer literate so i don't think that will be a problem. Also i read somewhere you could connect the amp and the pre-amp with a db25 connector. Is this true? Thanks for any help. I am looking forward to joining the Rotel club!

Dalton

P.S.

I apologize if any of the answers to my questions are elswhere in this thread but it is so long i didn't have time to go through the whole thing! Thanks Again!

17. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Earle Decker
    Dalton,

Just press and hold the mute button.

Hows the Acurus amp working out? The invite for a demo of the 1055/RB985 mkII is still open. LMK

Check out Andrew Pratt's website for instructions on updating the firmware. He's got multiple posts in this topic

Earle

18. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Thanks Earle! The acurus is a great amp! I am going to move it to a separate room for second zone operation. The 1075 and RB981 are going to handle the 7.1 duties. Your glowing endorsement of the 1055 is one of the reasons i decided to get the 1066/1075 combo! Aren't you running Klipsch speakers also? I am going to be running Klipsch Reference speakers in this setup. It will be:

Rsp 1066 Processor

RMB 1075 Amp(120x5)

Rotel RB981 2 ch. amp(130x2)

RF3II Mains

RC3II Center

KSF 8.5's Sides

RB3 Back Surrounds

SVS 20-39 PC+ Sub

I am pretty excited to get this combo setup!

Dalton

19. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Dalton go here for all the info you need on the Rotels.

20. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer