*** Official "ROLLERBALL" DiscussionThread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Crawford, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for Rollerball. Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
    All HTF member film reviews of Rollerball should be posted to this thread.
    Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
    Crawdaddy

2. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

100 MILLION! Why did this dung of a flick cost so much??? And I think the biggest disappointment is that one of my favorite actors is in this, Jean Réno. Mr. Réno seems to have a history of picking very bad movies to say yes to. Rollerball (pending), Just Visiting and Godzilla stand out as a few. This guy has a DeNiro type screen presence and needs better material. That’s just my $.02!

3. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    reno was in the origional version of the visiters called Les Visiteurs.
    this was a very good movie and also funny.
    look here

4. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

he'll always be "victor. nettoyer" to me...

5. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

6. Aaron Croft

Aaron Croft Stunt Coordinator

WOW.. After seeing the trailer several times I can allready tell you that I'll never see this movie at the cinema or on DVD.

OUCH! This is going to flop bad. Where do you find out info on how much a movie cost? Especially before it even hits theaters.

7. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

Internet Movie Database is a good source for all information regarding films Aaron.
    This was a mistake from the get-go, McTiernan is going from bad to worse by the look of it.

8. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Read Ebert's Review ...it's another classic. I particularly love how he refers to the location of the film as Podunkistan and Bankruptistan. Funny stuff.

9. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Yeah, that Ebert review is great...
    I liked this observation:
    the Locker Rooms of the Future are co-ed. Alas, the Women Athletes of the Future still turn their backs to the camera at crucial moments, carry strategically placed towels, stand behind furniture and in general follow the rules first established in 1950s nudist volleyball pictures.

[​IMG]
    This was a movie that, when I first saw the trailer for it in front of LOTR, I knew I would never want to see (that was the worst trailer I've seen in years), but at least now it provides for some really funny reviews. [​IMG]
    /Mike

10. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

The worst part of it all is that I'm compelled to see this one. I can't stay away from the train wreck this film looks to be. I'll let you know how the lobotomy goes.

11. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

It's gonna be tough for another "major" studio film to get the kind of reviews this one is getting for the rest of 2002. Two dogs in one day, with "Collateral Damage" coming up a close second. These are the "dog days" of winter for fims I guess. [​IMG]
    P.S. Fims? What the hell is fims? I got Inspector Clouseau on the brain?

12. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Good pun, Peter.

See, the original was highly flawed--and fatally possessed of a 1970s look for its "future" (as were Logan's Run and The Omega Man). But the film is fun, a hoot. (As a motorcyclist, I knew the bikes in the flick were going to look dated before another year went by; my own bike of the time looked more "futuristic.")

But Rollerball was not good enough to be revisited in any way.

However, Hollywood has never been known to listen to reason. This will be a flop to remember--maybe on the order of Battlefield Earth.

13. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I would give the original more props than that Jack.
    Sci-Fi made a fundamental change from the pre-space program/CPU world of the 50's/60's to the cyberpunk era of the 80's/90's.
    Cyberpunk (early examples are Gibson's Neuromancer novel and Scott's Bladerunner film at the forefront) deals with some key issues:
    1) A.I. vs human thought. What is "human" intelligence?
    2) Cyborg body parts vs flesh. What is "human" period?
    Those 2 lead to the famous "More Human than Human"
    3) Dystopian society. The future run into the ground with overpopulation, etc.
    4) Governments replaced by global CORPORATIONS. The common man dominated/owned by these corporations.
    5) Designer drug abuse becomes rampant, often being used to enhance a human's ability to function more than as simple escape, although escape is also a popular use. The masses are subdues by drugs by corporations as well.
    So what we saw was a change from the optimistic future of earlier sci-fi in which the future would be CLEAN and PERFECT, robots would enhance human life, PEOPLE would be truly free, and "good" governments would win out a rule the universe fairly.
    Think Star Trek and tons of 50's sci-fi in which we soared through the galaxy. All the dangers came from outside sources, aliens, and sometimes even the aliens were friendly. War of the Worlds and Day the Earth Stood Still.
    But once we saw the outcome of the space program and computers, that these things were NOT helping society become utopian we started to see a backlash.
    I always have called it the "Future Shock" era named after the book from that era. People became disillusioned with what technology would bring to their lives. The extrapolation of this eventually became Cyberpunk.
    But this in-between phase in the 70's, the future shock sci-fi era was rife with films that started to touch on 1 or 2 of the cyberpunk elements without bringing it all together yet.
    2001 - AI runs amock
    THX 1138 - False utopia, drugs used to subdue society.
    Soylent Green - Distopian, overcrowded society.
    Logan's Run - False front of utopian society gives way to the true anti-technology utopia of the outside world.
    And many others like Apes, Andromeda Strain, Silent Running all touched on these concepts.
    And one of the first films to truly depict CORPORATIONS run amock and to question the future utopian societies:
    Rollerball
    While we find the 70's art design to be corny, the premise underneath it all is very much a perfect forefather to Blade Runner or Neuromancer.
    John E represents the common man of course, battling the corporation. We see drugs in common use helping to subdue the public, along with the game itself. John's success undermines the game's ability to subdue the masses, and therefore he undermines the corporation itself.
    In the meantime we also have supercomputers running most of the show and a question of whether or not Moon Pie is still "alive".
    In the end, in what would become a fundamental Cyberpunk theme, John USES the system against itself. He beats the system by playing the game better than the game could handle.
    That is the true theme of the original, man versus the corporation and the undermining of the false utopia. Not unlike battling the Tyrell Corporation a few years later or pulling people out of the false utopia that is The Matrix by actually going into the Matrix.
    And this is the biggest tragedy of the Rollerball remake. All those concepts are apparently pissed away, the things that made the film great, and instead all the focus shifts to the most superficial aspect of the film, the violence of the game.
    Oh, isn't this the discussion page for the original Rollerball. [​IMG] Anyway, I wanted to throw out that defense of the underrated original. By the way Jack, Zardoz obviously falls into the future shock/pre-cyberpunk era as well.

14. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

15. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

Ok! Everyone repeat after me. “I should not expect anything from a movie with Chris Klein as the lead!” Repeat it three times! [​IMG]

16. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

That's one of the great things about Ebert.
    He writes so well, his 1/2 or 1 star reviews are usually more entertaining than the run-of-the-mill 2- or 2.5-star movie review, from him or almost anyone else.
    He sure took some good shots at this disaster. Boy, $110 million doesn't buy what it used to, I guess [​IMG] - and for a retread in the first place. Wonder if any heads will roll for greenlighting this, and/or letting that much get spent?
    I especially liked Ebert's crack about the Instant World Viewer Ratings - and how the meter always went up right AFTER the most exciting, violent move was made in the game - so viewers managed to suddenly tune in as soon as they missed what was supposed to draw them in!
    This one's gonna battle Battlefield Earth, it sounds like.

17. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian

18. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

The only reason why I am going to see this film is because of the appearance of SLIPKNOT and that is it.

19. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

20. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    Under Matthew Chmiel's name reads "Say hello to my little

Member"

Uh.... no thanks.