*** Official ROBOTS Review Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by CraigL, Mar 5, 2005.

1. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

Saw Robots this morning and enjoyed it. It wasn't fantastic and as I said in another thread, it's hard to enjoy other animated films when Pixar sets the bar so high. The voices are very good but Robin Williams is doing his typical schntick again. They seemed to have everybody and their mother doing a voice but no Ewan and Robin get the most time out of all...along with Greg Kinnear. I'm happy to say that most of the bits in the trailer happen early on in the film and it leaves the ending to some surprise. The kids really enjoyed it and it was a very "audience friendly" movie. A lot of the action pieces don't make much sense but you just kinda go along with it anyway.

Funniest bit:
    towards the end of the movie, there's a huge war between the "bots" and the "bad guys" and Robin Williams' character gets dropped in the middle of the bad guys. Britney Spears' "Hit Me Baby One More Time" kicks in and he starts doing a dance with the other robots behind him. Funny because it's ridiculously random and unexpected.

No Star Wars trailer beforehand but we did get Ice Age 2. The trailer was very funny (as were the ones for the first) and the audience applauded after it. If only the movies were as entertaining as the trailers.

My grade: C+

2. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    I thought this was only so-so. Even though many of the jokes and sight gags are good, most are not laugh out loud funny. Many of the set pieces and their functionality are incredible, Robot City's transportation system being a real stand out, but set pieces alone don't make a good movie.

It seemed like they had all these great ideas for sight gags and jokes about robots and "gee-whiz" devices, with the film and plot being built around getting them all in there. That might work for a CG animated short, and there is a lot of material here that could have made many great shorts, but it does not come together to make a good feature length film.

[​IMG] [​IMG] out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    [​IMG][​IMG] out of four -- solid film
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] for when the animators got to use the capabilities of the animated form.

My biggest issue with Robots is not that the voice casting is over done and mostly uneffective. It's not the script with some appalling lines that really don't come off. It's not the fact that the antagonists villainy is incomprehensible even as we know the generalities of their nefarious evilness because it's so cliche.

My biggest issue with this film is that some (or a bunch) of assholes decided this film needed a plot and forced it onto a charming world and concept designed for amazing potential use of the animation genre into a stifling, painful and just plain cringe inducing.

The nonstop puns I can deal with (note the grace that pixar used in a similar situation with Monsters Inc, they never had to go to cheap puns). But when there are so many great moments when there is simply wonderful creative and incredibly fun animation (and almost all non dialog) sequences. It makes me wonder how effective this film could have been if it had been restricted to 900 words of dialogue like Bambi. Look at the sequence when he first tests out the little guy/invention (why doesn't the most memorable character in the film have a memorable name?) for his Dad in the kitchen. This is great work, really wonderful. Or the flight through Robot City, fabulous stuff. The dominos with fat Brooks robot. The first sequence in the chop shop before the evil cackling villainess showed up. The fixing montage. The gizmo dancing at the bar. Hell every damn thing the gizmo does is wonderful (in part because it does it all visually and with exaggerated, extremely effective animation because it can't talk).

I really want to rank this film lower because the villains are so incredibly terrible stock creatures that they destroy the charm and illusion and wonder of the rest of the film.

plus I was three minutes late to a film in a theatre notorious for a handful of commercials plus PSA not to steal movies before the trailers and when I walked in, it was halfway through Fever Pitch and then the ICE AGE II trailer, so no Star Wars on the big screen for me. [​IMG]

Adam

ps. why not just name that one character Eisner and the other Walt? sheesh!

4. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Sue me, I liked the film. It was no Pixar but then again...what is?
    I guess it was a lot easier for my expectations to be exceeded because I set them so low. I was going to this film to see episode 3's trailer and because I like animation in general.
    Yeah, I've seen the Williams Schtick before...but sue me it worked for me. I'd give this film a B+ or an 8 out of 10. Maybe I was just in an incredibly good mood while watching it, I really don't know but I had fun damn it and that's all I ask for in a film.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    This film will probably grow on me after some time. I liked it but I preferred The Incredibles so much more and I even liked Shark Tale more also. It does have a nice message in it though.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] 1/2 out of 5

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

This film is full of subtle bits of humor, and it never gives the audience time to catch up before moving to another bit, plus the humor is more intended for those up on pop culture and that isn't always going to be the kids watching the film, so the laughs aren't bust-your-gut funny, but for me, it was chuckle-worthy for daring to "go there" in certain scenes. The 3rd act was a lot of fun, visually, though.

Plus, how can you not like a film that incorporates a dash of 2001: A Space Odyssey with one of the robots doing the "Daisy" song as it's losing steam/power
    ?

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

7. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Robots". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

8. Dave Hackman

Dave Hackman Stunt Coordinator

Sonic the Hedgehog meets Marble Madness meets the Jetsons. The story takes a while to get its chemistry going with the beginning mainly focusing on family background and an acrobatic aerial look at robot city. Once the gang of robots gets together things pick up and the predictable ending unfolds in visual beauty.

I saw this at an IMAX theater and it was really impressive seeing this blown up on such a huge screen and part of my interest in attending this film was to visit an IMAX again.

The bad in my opinion is the predictable boring story that fails to provide a credible convincing foe and instead relies too heavily on brief comedic spurts of fart/butt jokes and a visual desire to shock and awe the viewer into mental ecstasy.

C-

9. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

This was terrible. The creators used every single tired idea in the Animation playbook – from the recycled jokes, bathroom humor and pop music references to the big musical in the end. None of the characters are memorable and the story is very disposable.

As far as the animation itself, well, one can only admire it to the extent that it is successful in encompassing an engaging story. But Fox is not raising any bars here. That is too bad considering the voice talents that were involved. They just have nothing to work with. The filmmakers might have an idea for a 15-minute short but even that is very questionable.

~Edwin

10. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    I thought it was a cute family film; saw it with my friends' 8- and 6-year olds and they loved it. It was not The Incredibles, but it was fun, and I enjoyed the look of the film.

11. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I took my kids and we all thought it was ok. The funniest was I thought the movie had "smell-o-vision". At the exact time they had the fart scene. My 2 year old went poop in his diaper and I started smelling it then. Funny timing. [​IMG]

12. Hank_P

Hank_P Second Unit

love it, and have already seen it twice. There is so much going on in the movie and behind the "action" taking place. I actually enjoyed all the puns and references to other movies, to old toys, games, etc. It was A LOT of references to other movies, wonder how many total??

And to the poster that wondered how it would be if they kept it to 900 words... oh come on, Robin Williams as a main character and trying to keep it to 900 words..now that would have been a disappointment to those that enjoy his quick wit and play on words.

13. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

(copy from 2005 Film List, with added comments for this thread)
    Robots
    6 of 10

While the CGI is nice enough and the characters and setting are interesting, fun designs, the film itself really lacks a spark. Sometimes it is funny, but not nearly often enough. The problem isn't that its formula, though it is. The problem seems to be in the editing, direction and writing, all of which kill most of the comedic timing.

The film COULD have lots of great gags, but too often they are stepped on or not set up right in the first place. Maybe they were on paper and the direction is bad. Maybe they got to "film" and then were edited bad.

All I could think of was "Spies Like Us", good talent, funny situations, but cut all wrong for the jokes.

Expanding here on my 2005 Thread review, I disagree with Edwin's view that they didn't have enough for more than 15 minutes. They make good 90 minute films out of this stuff all the time, and even in the film I recognized many standard/classic scenes following the formula.

The problem is that this team just didn't seem to be able to write up anything good to do with them, or as I said above they would chop up scenes in such a way as hit jokes before they were even setup. They even did it with drama, failing to cross-cut at times when it was called for to raise the tension (like at the end) or to allow moments to build before resolving them.

But GOOD filmmakers create 90 minutes of film about a small town guy coming to the big city and saving people from oppression all the time. These guys just didn't know how to fill in the skeleton well-enough.

14. AlexCremers

AlexCremers Second Unit

Funny? Funny? Is that what it takes? I thought the story was too tired to be absorbing.