*** Official ROBOTS Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by TonyD, Mar 7, 2005.

1. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i saw a previeew on fox the other night. this was shown in hi def and boy it looked amazing.
    i cant wait to see the movie in hi def in a few years.
    hope it looks that good on the big screen.

the public transportation in a bal flying around robot city was tremendous.

2. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    Has anyone seen this in an IMAX theater? If so: 1. is it in the correct ratio, and 2. is the Star Wars trailer before it?

Just curious.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Robots" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Robots" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

4. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    From the review thread.

I was beginning to think I wouldn't have to defend that remark.

I have nothing against Williams, I think he's a brilliant commedian and brings quite a lot to the table, and some of his lines are 900 words long themselves. However the strength of Robots isn't a script with narrative arc and clever, funny, and well written dialogue that adds to characters, their relationships and your understanding of them and the world of the film (read: Aladdin). The film is brilliant when the animators can just animate sequences of pure visual entertainment/storytelling; the best moments in the film lack dialogue: The robot/invention/thingy showing off its stuff, Britney Spears, the first half of the intro of the chop shop (before evil villainess--stock number three-eff-six-gee-four-four-four, thank you for using Studio System, THE source for all your screenwriting repairs, upgrades, and patches, thank you--is introduced), Ewan-robot repairing all the other robots, the flight through robot city, Ewan-robot background action of breaking into the extraneous-plot-boardroom scene, robot/invention/thingy dancing at the gala ball, Dominos with mel-robot etc... The dialogue, which is poorly integrated into the world of the film, almost always pulled me out. On the whole I felt the animators were much more interested in the world they've created FOR animation than in the standard real-life story they're handed to also somehow include. Would Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote be better suited if you had the Coyote stopping to consult with the evil-ACME-cohort-scientist that supplies him with all his gadgets, stopping to DIALOGUE with each other for several minutes of screentime about how all the gadgets are going to work? That's about what I feel's been done to Robots, I think the potential is there for a much better film, but its been ground into a boring conformity of 'the-elements-you-have-to-have-and-the-beats-you-have-to-hit -to-have-a-successful-[animated]-film'. Which puts the company just a step away from Disney's latest inhouse productions (former-Florida unit excepted).

Robin Williams had nothing to do with the quality of the film, he didn't add much, but he was occassionally a bright spot--but he was better used in Fern Gully than in this film.

Adam

5. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Just saw it, it was 'just OK' I would probably give it a D or **/*****

The pop music junk in it really ruined it for me.

The humor was hit and miss (I am fine with some of the vulgar stuff, but some of the stuff they did was flat out not funny, and I LOVE cartoons and such) Pixar's humor is always really good - kids and adults like it. The humor in this film was almost insulting bad at times.

The animation/technical aspects (physica) were pretty darn good.

This film is pretty lame compared to what Pixar is able to do.

They could have done MUCH better, but it seemed like a weak effort and fairly low quality.

For the record, I LOVE most of these animated movies (Incredibles, Shreck, Toy Story, Monsters inc., etc.)

6. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

But that doesn't it make a good film nor is a reason to give a mediocre film, if that, a recommendation, in my book, just because it succeeded in following a tired formula.

But you just gave the producers an excuse to make a sequel out of it, which I'm sure is going to be another hit much like Shrek 2. [​IMG]

~Edwin

7. Crosley Carpenter

Crosley Carpenter
    Robots looked to be in the correct aspect ratio. It certainly didn't fill the entire IMAX screen, but most of it.

No Star Wars trailer, but a great teaser for Ice Age 2.

Seen at the IMAX Theatre, Sydney, the film looked absolutely S-P-E-C-T-A-C-U-L-A-R in IMAX, well worth a look.

8. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Crosley:

I have been to that IMAX!

We lived in Tasmania for a year, and spent a few days in Sydney (if I was rich, I would buy a second home there, very cool place!), lots of fun.