What's new

Official Retina 5k iMac Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Johnny Angell said:
I had to sign in with my Apple ID and I will be selling this computer and already have a buyer. Since I'm downloading the OS with my Apple ID, does that effect the future owner?
No.

But be sure to be fully signed out of all services before passing it on to the next owner.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
DaveF said:
No.

But be sure to be fully signed out of all services before passing it on to the next owner.
I did some research elsewhere and according to that info, it does make a difference. Here's a link: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6785378

I learned about signing out and deauthorizing. Did all that and then reinstalled original OS the mac came with. I've got it all ready to be boxed up (still have original box) to ship to buyer. Got it sold already.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
BTW, does anyone remember what are the applications that the iMac comes with? I thought iPhoto and GarageBand, but I didn't see either of those two when I reinstalled the OS on the old iMac. If anyone can point me to a list of in the box applications, I'd appreciate it.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have been reading elsewhere that the "standard" apps that come with an iMac like iPhoto and Garageband don't really come that way. I have been told that the new owner will have to buy those apps and the other standard apps if he wants them. So I've bought 2 iMacs and really only have one license to iPhoto? What would happen if I kept the old mac, would I be entitled to iPhoto on both macs?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Johnny Angell said:
I did some research elsewhere and according to that info, it does make a difference. Here's a link: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6785378

I learned about signing out and deauthorizing. Did all that and then reinstalled original OS the mac came with. I've got it all ready to be boxed up (still have original box) to ship to buyer. Got it sold already.
I'm dubious about the practicality ofthe advice you're getting in Apple discussions. It's different, practically, from the days of purchased, limited-license DVD versions of os x. When we had to keep those bought discs for our next computer --or even sell them used -- and restore the Mac back to factory with its in-Box install media.

I'm not deeply expert on this, but my experience is that system updates don't require my icloud id and password. They only require my os x user account password, which is set, if at all, per user account.

Second, you can download and create a usb drive os x installer and then install os x on a computer without ever giving you icloud id. You can use it in your home to install multiple computers with OS x easily. I don't think they must all then be administrated by your specific icloud id.

Also, note the apple support page doesn't say explicitly to install nothing but the originally installed version of OS x.

Finally, in all practicality, Apple doesn't care if Johnny Individual sells his used Mac with Yosemite installed.

So, choose the reinstall option that's easiest and gives most peace of mind to you for selling your Mac. But I don't think there's any problem with whatever is the latest version.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Just finished talking with a Senior Apple Advisor. iLife (iMovie, iPhoto, Garageband), iWork (Numbers, Pages, Keynote) belong to the computer. They belong to my apple id. They will not be installed on the old computer for free. Well, iPhoto is free, but that's it. It will cost the new user $80 to buy all the above apps.

The old iMac was my introduction the apple computers. I've been used to the pc model. If I sold or gave away a pc with Word on it, if it was a legal copy, it was ok to do so. If I wanted Word on my new computer I bought another license. So I guess the app does not "come" with the computer. But that relationship is explicit.

Here's a quote from the front iMac sales page on apple:
Every new Mac comes with iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. So you can be creative with your photos, videos, music, documents, spreadsheets, and presentations right from the start. These apps have been updated to match the beautiful design of OS X Yosemite. You also get great apps for email, surfing the web, sending texts, and making FaceTime calls — there’s even an app for finding new apps

Right under that quote, in the first row are the apps I'm most concerned with-Numbers, Pages, Keynote, iMovie, iPhoto, and Garageband. I see that sales pitch and I think those apps "come" with the computer and should be able to go with the computer.

I just finished talking with a senior apple advisor and find out it's not so. Those apps came , in essence, to me. They are attached to my apple id and not to the computer. A new owner will have his/her own apple id and will have to buy the apps at a total cost of $80. iPhoto is free.

I'm sure this is outlined in those terms of agreements or whatever they're called that we all agree to and don't read. This is really deceptive to say one thing in the big bold sales pitch text and change it in the fine print. the advisor told me it's also true for my new iMac.

This pisses me off.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That doesn't surprise me.

In thinking on it, the easiest thing to do is to wipe the Mac and reinstall from original install discs (if it's of that age) or from the recovery hard drive partition (if it's of the current age). But stop at the "Welcome" screen and don't sign in or set up any user account. Leave that for the next user. That's the cleanest and probably the easiest way.

If the recovery partition is a couple of versions out of date, the new user can download Yosemite for free and upgrade easily.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
DaveF said:
That doesn't surprise me.

In thinking on it, the easiest thing to do is to wipe the Mac and reinstall from original install discs (if it's of that age) or from the recovery hard drive partition (if it's of the current age). But stop at the "Welcome" screen and don't sign in or set up any user account. Leave that for the next user. That's the cleanest and probably the easiest way.

If the recovery partition is a couple of versions out of date, the new user can download Yosemite for free and upgrade easily.
That is what I did. I powered down the iMac at the Welcome screen for the setup process. Before that I had gone completely thru the setup process and set it up under my apple id and that's when I saw the various missing applications.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah...they're gonna have to seriously up the GPU horsepower to drive 8 million pixels, likely will have to transition to the full GPU rather than the mobile platform they tend to use for iMacs. That's why I doubt it's going to happen. Also the pricepoint for the iMac 5K is already high. Unless they find some magic formula to keep the pricepoint manageable I'm not sure an 8K iMac will sell well. Would love to be proven wrong, but I am going to guess that's an error. Or that they'll have an 8K monitor in terms of pixels but will only run in 4K upscaled mode.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm wondering when I can justify upgrading my wife to the Retina iMac (and the fact that I'll get her 27" i5 iMac has nothing to do with it... :) )

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The new retina iMacs have finally gotten me interested. One problem is, I really want to work with photos on a wide gamut monitor, which the iMac isn't. I'd be running two monitors anyway, even with a 27" iMac and I guess I could just let the smaller one be wide gamut, with all the menus and everything else on the iMac.

Any comments, Sam or Ron?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hi John!

A little confused.

By wide gamut, you mean a monitor capable of producing a wider range of colors?

The new Retina iMac would be capable of that, no? When you are talking of running two monitors you are saying the Retina iMac and your existing iMac?

Not clear.

I have a two monitor setup. I use the Retina iMac for browsing and everyday work. The older 27" iMac I use full-screen email.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I had to google it, but John is talking about a special class of monitor that has a larger color gamut.

http://davidjohnstone.net/blog/2013/06/be-careful-when-buying-a-wide-gamut-monitor
Compared to normal monitors, wide gamut monitors can display a wider range of colours; you get redder reds, greener greens and bluer blues. They’re useful for some people, because the real world isn’t limited to the colours that your computer monitor can display (and neither are printers).

However, for the majority of people who aren’t into calibrating their monitor with hardware calibrators and worrying about colour profiles when printing on $2000 printers, they have a major downside — the web.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks