***Official "RESIDENT EVIL" Review Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Zawacki, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Robert Zawacki

I just saw Resident Evil at an advance screening in Tempe, AZ. Boy, was I and almost the whole audience dissapointed. SPOILERS - There was so much room for great kills/blood/gore and it almost seemed that it all was in the movie at one time. If the movie was going to get an R anyway, why not put the blood/gore back in. And YES, in this instance, it was needed. The movie is so CHOPPED up, you get the feeling, WHAT DID I JUST MISS.
    Examples : SPOILERS : When the hero faces 5 Hell Hounds, she points her gun at them, the point of view goes at the gun, we hear 5 shots fired, she then walks away, not once showing the dead dogs, the bullets hitting them, NOTHING. It was hard to assume exactly what happened. This happens to at least 40 scenes I counted. Your about to see what happened, then next scene?????? Lasers head toward a group of commandos, just as they reach them to cut them up, it cuts to there head or away and then we later see a pile of clothes on ground, and assuming body parts were there. Not quite knowing what was up? Once the zombies get going, we are treated to tones of them attacking and ripping people apart, but hey, it is all assumed as the camera always pans away.
    ROMERO would have done this movie justice. Maybe on DVD we will see the way it was meant to be.
    As for NUDITY, major chances also - one slight nipple shot at beginning and that was it, YES IT!
    If you see this, be prepared for a disjointed movie that could have been a major contender.[​IMG]

2. Matt Wooten

Matt Wooten Second Unit

3. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

This thread is now the offical review thread for the film "Resident Evil". Please direct all discussion for "Resident Evil" to THIS thread.
    Thank you!

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!
    Crawdaddy

5. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Saw it just now, and I think it is worthy of inclusion into the zombie movie pantheon. One thing to note, there are some extremely pained efforts to avoid gore in this film that I'm forced to conclude that they had some last minute battles with the MPAA. There are entire scenes set up for gore that never get realized. This is particularly disappointing, and I'm only hopeful the original movie will be made available through the DVD release.
    The movie has some very strong points to it. The opening setup is very effective, and somewhat ruthless as well. It does drag on through the center section, but does include a few effective scenes. The Red Queen/Computer AI issue is a real throw away though, and really just pads the movie out.
    The actors bring enough to it to keep it going, and Milla handles the physical part well enough. That said, Anderson could have shot this a little more clearly, especially shown how effective stationary cameras have been in zombie movies in the past.
    The ending is also much too drawn out, especially after enough of a link to the videogame story had been established throughout the movie.
    All in all, far beneath Romero's first two zombie movies, but better than his last. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Marty Lockstead

Marty Lockstead Second Unit

Just saw Resident Evil tonight, and although I didn't HATE it, I won't buy the dvd. I thought the lack of gore was quite surprising. I expected to see alot, so I could understand people being put off by that, but Paul Anderson's choice to focus more on suspense & an erie atmosphere was quite refreshing. I had no idea George A. Romero was the originol director of the film. The production design was nothing new but I couldn't help but think of scenes from ALIENS at times. RE isn't nearly on that level, but it had its moments.

Approx. 100 minutes, aspect ratio:1.85 to 1.

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I was surprised at the lack of gore, but the "hallway" scene in the beginning was pretty intense and was a little gory (not much blood, but still gory).

Even so, I thought the film was pretty good. There were times when I was surprised that they didn't elaborate on the violence (like the scene with the dogs) but overall it was still good. The zombies were good, the effects were good, but they should have established the licker as a meaner, more evil being earlier in the movie.

The story was pretty good. It unfolded itself piece by piece and was still worthy of the games. The whole thing was a little more sci-fi than the games (which were more horror) but it was still pretty good.

Since I had read reviews of it a while ago and already knew the ending (and had played the games) I was able to logically guess the ending. I really hope they make the sequel, because Nemesis would be badass, unless they screw it up and make him look really fake. I really hope they make the sequel more horror based than the first one was. I also want to see some damn crows!

I was wondering why the commandos weren't from STARS (a police group from the games). In the games, nearly all the main characters are STARS members. Oh well.