*** Official "REIGN OF FIRE" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Travis D, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Travis D

Travis D Second Unit

I saw it Monday night, here's my review.
    Great concept, heck it is a wonderful concept, but it falls short of the promises that it makes. For a movie about dragons there are surprising few that actually show up on screen and in action. There aren't grand battles with dragons nor anything that really stuck out as being stunningly awesome. If there is one thing that this movie lacks, it is scope. Even with a setting in the English countryside, the film feels claustrophobic and uncomfortably tight. The legend of the dragons is even breezed by and not realized into the large story that it is but only alluded to with mock up newspaper articles and publications. Allusion is the films main trick and it turns it too often. Film is a visual medium; I just wished this film had used it better.
    Harry loves the thing to death though.
    BTW - There is one scene that had everyone in the theater laughing and grinning from ear to ear. I won't spoil it for you, but it involves a "white knight and a black knight". Just thinking of it makes me smile. [​IMG]

2. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Marginal recommendation. I liked it but not without some reservations. Travis is spot on when he says it could use a larger scope. I had looked at clips on the EPK earlier in the day, and my hopes weren't very high on the basis of these scenes, which all essentially seemed about the same. McConnaughey brings a much needed breath of humor or just gets the joke of a movie like this. That said, Reign of Fire doesn't get overly silly; it strikes about the right balance.
    For my money (err, free pass) the best scene is when we see how McConnaughey's crew tries to handle the dragons. The climax and beginning are pretty good too. I would have liked to have seen more of the time when dragons come to dominate, but they do sneak in some interesting ideas about how the creatures existed and what made them go dormant.
    While it does feel a tad on the long side in parts, it didn't lose my interest. The effects don't overwhelm the rather basic story.
    It's a guy's movie, with all the positives and negatives that connotes, and I suspect it will be a favored fanboy movie too. One of my fellow critics said afterward that you can practically feel the masculinity dripping off the screen. (The opening line of my review, if it ever gets done for the web, is similar--it's as if they developed the film in testosterone rather than standard photo chemicals.)
    Generally speaking, I tend not to have much patience for movies I'd throw into the general category of "overly solemn films where you can almost smell the stink of the dirty characters". [​IMG] (Hopefully you know what I mean.) I wasn't troubled by that aspect so much here.
    Others are probably going to be into this a lot more than I was, but it's okay overall.
    Oh, and the scene in question that Travis mentions is sold so well by the reactions of the kids, which seem very authentic and not actorly. It's a funny scene, and I was really impressed how the filmmakers were able to get the kids' responses to it.

3. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I agree with Mark mostly, although I think I liked the flick a bit more. My review will be up later today, and I can't wait to see what all you guys think of the movie once you see it!
    I'm predicting that most of you will like it, but not love it, and a few may not dig it at all. But who will it be? [​IMG]
    Overall, I'd give it 3.75 out of 5. [​IMG]

4. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    What's the aspect ratio for this movie? Anyone know?

5. Anne M

Anne M Agent

I say yay. I wouldn't say I'm dying to see, but I just love Christian Bale, and I get in free since I work at the theater, so I'm definitely going to see it. I have no idea what it's about, and I plan to keep it that way till I see the movie. I look forward to reading all your reviews after I've seen the flick. [​IMG]

6. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

7. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Yay, haven't seen a good dragon flick in years.

8. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Reign of Fire". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
    All HTF member film reviews of "Reign of Fire" should be posted to this thread.
    Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
    Crawdaddy

9. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Ebert just gave this one a one-star rating (one of the worst of the year). Hmmm...

~Edwin

10. Brett Jason

Brett Jason Stunt Coordinator

What's your opinion on bringing kids to see this? Is it anymore intense or violent then let's say the Jurassic Park flicks or the Mummy/Mummy returns?

11. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

12. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I agree with Malcolm... Ebert seems to have completely lost it these days. I thought I'd be the last one to say that. [​IMG]
    Of course, I haven't seen "Reign of Fire" yet. [​IMG][​IMG]
    /Mike

13. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I'm looking forward to this and will be going tomorrow. However, I don't know how I can keep from comparing this with a movie that I want to see made. The problem is with Reign of Fire's premise as stated in the radio spot I just heard "They are older than the dinosaurs, smarter than mankind, and don't want to share the planet."

Maybe it's just me, but dragons are certainly not the first thing that comes to mind when I hear something like that. I like dragons well enough but damn, everytime I hear that I keep expecting horrors a lot more eldritch than dragons. I want The Call of Cthulhu: The Motion Picture very, very badly. *sigh*

Another small disappointment will be that I want to see dragons kicking human butt instead of humans kicking dragon butt. I'm sure we'll get some of the former on screen but there's no way such a picture will let humans go extinct. *sigh*^2

14. Chris Harvey

Chris Harvey Second Unit

Don't listen to the negative reviews -- this is a genre treat, along the lines of PITCH BLACK or THE ARRIVAL (although I think it's better than both). I too wish that the scale of the conflict was truly massive, but (as summer films go) this is a lower budget movie.

Many of the criticisms I've read so far seem to be that the film takes itself too seriously (I guess the critics didn't buy the concept) -- but I ask you, isn't that what genre films (particularly fantasy films) NEED to do these days?

15. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

16. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

You know, I liked this, marginally, but I don't doubt that some are going to hate this passionately.

17. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

The film is totally dull and humorless. Good special effects, though.

18. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

19. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I thought it was good overall but it is definately a film that needs a big budget prequel. I want to see what happened when these beasts first came about and the world's armies fought back, and ultimately lost. The dragons looked great in this one, we just needed more of them. I would definately pay to see an ID4 type air to air combat fight.

20. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I'd call it economical, but serviceable for its genre. It took itself seriously, and didn't go totally spastic to give us the ending it did. It's not bombastic, rather, even the ending is a bit on the intimate side. But the last hour is not boring at all (the 1st 30 minutes takes a while to set the table, so to speak).

I'd recommend it for those who enjoy this genre of film (man vs. large monsters).