What's new

*** Official RED Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
What happens to old government-sanctioned hitmen who grow old? They get retired, with a month pension check, and try to blend in with a house in suburbia. That's Frank Moses' new life after being a deadly and effective asset for the CIA. But things quickly take a turn for the worse when Frank finds himself on a hit list and he has to take things into his own hands and quell the threat on his life.

I thought "Red" took a little while to get going in the beginning, as it seemed to try to find a workable tone given its source material from a 3-issue comic series from 2003 (which has similar beginings, but the film diverges from the source material rather quickly), but as more and more supporting players join the ensemble cast in the film through its plotline, it does gain a foothold and builds up plenty of momentum going into the last act, though it's a bit on the predictable side, the cast has a lot of fun with the material and it shows on the screen.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I loved it, mainly for the dialog and the way it arranges the set pieces. Sure it doesn't reinvent the wheel, and the action isn't groundbreaking. But the balance between the low-key, understated one-liners and the over-the-top action was targeted squarely at my funny bone. The opening scene, with Frank's home getting invaded, is a masterpiece of editing and pacing. Every beat hits exactly right. So, no, it's not going to win any Oscars. All of these great actors could do these roles in their sleep. But all of that talent isn't wasted, and the result is a lightweight piece of entertainment that delighted me at just about every turn.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Red". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an
[COLOR= #44708c]Official Discussion Thread[/COLOR].

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I liked this action spoof film. Sure, the screenplay could have been better, but the one liners in the script were pretty funny and it seem this excellent cast of actors were having a good time making this film. My film audience appeared to love it and were very entertained by it. I'll give a film grade of a solid "B".

Crawdaddy

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I saw Red this morning and I really enjoyed it. I'm not even that big of a fan of any of the cast but you can tell they're having lots of fun and it spreads to the audience. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any 'big summer action movie' from this year that I enjoyed as much as this movie.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The fact that every studio passed up on this film and

it landed in the hands of Summit Entertainment had me

concerned from the start.

There were times that I thought the film was very clever

and quite funny. However, when things got good it sort

of suddenly spiraled down into scenes that loused up

the pacing of the film.

Two great cameos here.

In all, it was a good movie. Very uneven at times,

but you can tell the cast was having a lot of fun with it.

neli

Grip
Real Name
neli moss
I have watched red movie and it is too wonderful.This movie is thriller based and i like to watch this category of movie a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation483
Recent bookmarks