***OFFICIAL - Queen - Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Allred, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    For one of the greatest rock bands of all time;
    Freddie Mercury - lead vocals
    Brian May - Guitar
    Roger Taylor - Drums
    John Deacon - Bass
    This thread should be the one place at HTF where you talk about Queen. ANYTHING related goes here, Queen albums...solo albums...tribute bands, whatever. Please keep it all in this thread.
    So anyway, the biggest news of late is the upcoming musical based on the Queen catalog titled "We Will Rock You". I believe March 26th is the date for the official press conference which will be attended by May, Taylor, Ben Elton (who wrote the show) and....TA-DA Robert Deniro himself!!!!! Deniro's company, Tribeca, is producing the show. (God, I wanna see a pic of Queen and the GODFATHER!)
    Queen's official web site, http://www.queenonline.com should have coverage.
    I don't know if the show will be an good. Sure the music is a known commodity but will the performances kick butt? The storyline is incredibly cheesy but I only need to remind myself, this IS a musical afterall. If "Cats" can be a hit, so can "We Will Rock You". Let's hope it'll garner as much positive reviews as The Who's "Tommy" did and win a bunch of Tony Awards. I'd love to see Queen win awards in *America*!
    Of course, the big DVD-A release of "A Night at the Opera" is coming soon (well, hopefully) so I know some of you are excited about that. I'll be left in the cold so to speak, since I don't have the equipment to play such a disc. Maybe if the format truly takes off, I'll consider jumping into the fray.
    A friend recently told me of a recent "Rolling Stone" article about an animated film revoving around Queen music. Has anyone read it? Please give us the details.
    For those who haven't checked 'em out yet, I have the most complete Queen reviews site on the 'net. EVERY Queen album/video, solo album/video, tribute albums, etc are reviewed! Some are brief, some are long winded (and not all are positive. One *can* be a big fan and dislike some of their, erm, artistic...choices.) Visit....
    http://members.tripod.com/~evilbaby/Music_Reviews.html
    That's all for now!

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Well, yes, Queen rocks. I have expressed my frustration at not being able to acquire the DVD-A of Night At The Opera before, and am doing so again now.
    Frustration- [​IMG]
    I could never get into their later stuff, though. Their first 6 albums are lots of fun, with Sheer Heart Attack being my favorite by a milestone. I know lots of people like Jazz, but I just couldn't get into it. "Mustafah?" WTF? Then the 80s... the less said the better.
    I've heard Innuendo, and that wasn't bad. Probably the best Queen disc since News of the World.
    Queen II and Night at the Opera are just great albums. Absolutely no regard for self-constraint or taking themselves seriously- it's great! Totally 70s.
    Three favorite little-known Queen gems:
    Brighton Rocks
    It's Late
    Ogre Battle
    Freddie Mercury- greatest rock singer ever?
    NP: Tool, Salival, CD

3. Michael Allred

Michael
  4. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

5. Michael Allred

Michael
    that 'wembley' DVD is totally UNOFFICIAL, it's put out by some magazine down there.

6. Nick_G

Nick_G Stunt Coordinator

quote:

"Three favorite little-known Queen gems:

Brighton Rocks

It's Late

Ogre Battle"

How 'bout "White Queen" from Queen II?? Just a beautiful song and Freddie's vocals are just superb!!

Yeah "Brighton Rock" rocks. So does "Now I'm Here".

And then there is "Death on Two Legs" and "I'm in Love With My Car".

What about "Great King Rat" and "Jesus"?

My 16 year old son loves "Ogre Battle". I remember the first time I heard that song, I was just bowled over.

Sheer Heart Attack is probably my fave album and I still don't have a CD copy yet because I haven't seen it anywhere lately.

The one thing I still don't understand is why John Deacon didn't make an appearance when they got inducted into the Hall of Fame. There is no reason for him not being there.

I remember buying the first album without ever hearing it. I used to read "Melody Maker" magazine when it was imported over here. They were always talking about this band Queen. So when I first saw the album I just bought it. This was months before anyone else here had even heard of them. By the time "Killer Queen" became a hit here I told people I've been listening to this band for a couple of years now. To them it was a NEW band.

7. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Sheer Heart Attack is an amazing album. It's the first one I grab when I haven't listened to Queen in a while and need a fix.

I also really like A Day at the Races. IMO, it's a great album but it seems like no one ever mentions it. I listened to Teo Torriatte (Let Us Cling Together) over and over again right after I found out Freddie died.

though I'm gone

It's just as though I hold the flower that touches you

A new life grows

the blossom knows

There's no one else that could warm my heart as much as you

be not gone

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Yep, Nick, I dig pretty much everything on Queen II.
    Jim, it is funny how Day at the Races seems to get left out. I guess most people feel it's just a weaker version of Night at the Opera. I understand that, but it's still some good listenin'.
    I know I came down heavy on their later material, but are there some takers here for that stuff? So far, it seems like everyone is agreeing with me, and that just feels a little odd. [​IMG]
    NP: Brahm, Symphony #4, conducted by Bruno Walter, SACD

9. Brandon

Brandon Agent

Day At The Races tends to suffer due to an unfair comparison to A Night At The Opera. ANATO is probably their ultimate album, in terms of recognition and songs, but ADATR is great album in its own right.

Second in my book only to Innuendo.

10. tommy_t

tommy_t Extra

Id like to add,

You and I is one of the best Queen song thats never mentioned...

also i feel that A Day At The Races,Freddys voice is at peak performance,kind of rough sounding yet strong as hell.listen to sombody to love....WOW

ts

11. Zack Scott

Zack Scott Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone read the p;otline to that Queen Musical yet? It's on the queen website. It sounds a little too corny for my tastes. Actually it really sounds like Zappa's Joe's garage but with queen music. With a hero named Galielo (sp?) and being a boheimian and This clash between originality and blahness being called the Rhapsody? Who knows mabey the show will be good. Hopefully it comes to the states (or at least a dvd version of it in a couple of years) [​IMG]

12. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Ahh queen... childhood memories of when i was only half a decade old :p) Watching a queen laser disc (Queen Best hits or something.. shows a white background with the four band members in the boxes)... I WANT A LD PLAYER!!! [​IMG]
    Strange, just a couple days ago i started listening to my dads records, and i put in "Queen's greatest hits"... so nice... they got great music, even compared to today's bands (though you ppls will think todays music is crap)

13. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

how does we will rock you look and sound in dts

14. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

I actually prefer Day at the Races to Night at the Opera. Sure, Opera has some fine songs, but I feel that Races has more fine songs. As for the later stuff, I really dig Innuendo. It has such a heavy sense of foreboding, and wanting to do one last great album. The title track is stunning, as is Show Must Go On. The Miracle also has some good songs, most notably Was It All Worth It. That tune ranks up with Queen's best.

As for their best album, I'd have to say Queen II. They just played whatever the hell they wanted to on that one! The arrangements and sheer musicianship are top notch.

15. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter