What's new

*** Official "PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Vickie
I know exactly what you mean by watching a film in "fear" since I experienced the same sensation watching Punch Drunk Love too! I was constantly worried about what was going to happen next since PT Anderson is so unpredictable. I loved that aspect of this film.
And I am also seeing it again today with my fiancee so I can enjoy it even more without "worrying" what's going to happen next. Now my fiancee on the other hand....she's on her own;)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I thought this was interesting. Someone wrote it on rec.arts.movies.current-films.
Did a quick web search after seeing "Punch-Drunk Love" tonight. The number was 818-775-3993 was used in both this and "Magnolia". I tried calling it tonight and got the message "that mailbox is unavailable". Probably full with all the idiots like me calling it.
An earlier person had said that when Magnolia came out, they called the number and got a message "Hi, this is Paul, leave a message" and assumed that PT meant it to be a fan line. He left a message.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I was constantly worried about what was going to happen next
During our presentation, the film was spooled somewhat off center and during the 'still' scenes, the image was steadily bobbing left and right. Gradually this shaking slowed down but it was sure disorienting (on top of the film itself) and add a screaming child two rows down, and this is one movie I can't wait to see in the comfort of my own home.

The more I think about this movie, the more I like it and want to see it again.

Joseph

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
:star: :star: :star: out of 4.
I enjoyed it as well(coming from somone who really doesnt like Sandler-I thought he was great)
Vickie try Rotten Tomatoes, they should have lots of reviews.
Here a review by my fav critic.
Link Removed

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Saw it at a non-stadium theater :frowning: Loved it. I could identify with the protaganist and see him in my brother even more than myself. Sandler was brilliant, even moreso than Carey has been in serious films. Before I was wondering why they weren't peddling this to Sandler fans. After seeing the film now I know. Everyone was saying "weird" when walking out of the theater (luckily it was a positive weird). Kinda like PTA's take on a Joe vs. the Volcano story.
Holy Crap there were some good trailers before the movie too. The one with Nicholson directed by Payne looks *awesome* and the new Spike Jonze flick looks very good too.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
They had a preview of Spike Lees 25Hour at the showing I saw and advanced screenings were very favorable-looking foward to that one.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Edit - I moved my review to the official review thread.
Best film I've seen so far this year.
Mark said this in his review
Emily Watson may not fit the conventional definition of Hollywood beauty, but she is so radiant in this film it's impossible not to fall in love with her at the sight of her, not to mention through her actions.
I thought the exact same thoughts during the film, Mark. But not just in this film, I was in love with her in Gosford Park and Red Dragon as well. By definition she might just be average it would seem, it's hard to put a finger on what she has. But boy does she have it in spades. She could walk in a room and put you in her spell with a look. :)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Not only did I get to see one Oscar calliber film, but I also got to see the trailers for 3 other VERY promising films..

Spike Lee's 25th Hour

Confessions of a Dangerious Mind

Adaptation

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Same here, Seth...it was great seeing those trailers.
As for P-DL...wow...I mean, really...just wow. I echo the sentiments of Tino, Vickie and Seth here. I was completely blown away. I agree 100% with the fear statement...always lingering in the back of my mind was the thought "will this end tragically?" ...and as the phone-sex plot played out, I sure thought it would. I ended up with the biggest smile walking out of the theater...and I overheard a couple complaining about how "it was the worst film they'd ever seen." All I could do was grin a little harder :)
Emily Watson may not fit the conventional definition of Hollywood beauty, but she is so radiant in this film it's impossible not to fall in love with her at the sight of her, not to mention through her actions.
I echo that, as well. Radiance is definitely the correct word.
I'm definitely going to have to see this again. I'm still smiling!

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Radiance is definitely the correct word.
I love love love the scene in Hawaii when Barry watches her bound up the stairs and come toward him. The way her hair swings, and her arms swing and she practically dances toward him, it's all so adorable. And they don't run into each other's arms so much as bounce into each other, then they kiss in silhouette...at that moment, they're in their own little world as more and more people pass by them, oblivious to the wonderful thing that's just happened to these two people. My favorite scene in the whole movie is when they shyly and tentatively reach for each other's hands. That was just so very sweet, it nearly made me cry. Hooray for mushy love stuff, PT Anderson style! :emoji_thumbsup: :b

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Seth
Told ya!;)
One of my favorite scenes in the film is when Barry is in Hawaii and on the phone with his sister and he finally loses it with her and starts screaming everything we wanted him to have the courage to say. Powerful stuff! This film is full of such moments.
BTW, the actor who portrayed his sisters husband, the dentist who Barry confides in is none other than Robert Smigel of SNL animated shorts fame.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
You know I hope they start pushing this big for Sandler fans. I bet they could, PTA needs a success so he can keep getting these great projects. Budget was $25mil, if he gets Sandler fans onboard, I bet they could clear $40 million. Magnolia made $20 million or so in the US, if they can unite the PTA fans and the Sandler fans, they could make a decent profit. I'd love to see this film do well on it's own, but if they have to resort to getting Sandler fans into the theater, than so be it.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see so many enjoy PDL.

I saw it a couple weeks ago during it's first limited release, and was anxious to hear more comments from those in this forum as the film gets a wider release.

I've already ranked this as the best film this year, and truly believe it deserves and Oscar nomination for Best Picture. PDL is so fresh and original, and pushes the boundaries of romance and comedy into different directions. It's such an odd and beautiful film.

The Academy probably won't give PDL the recognition it deserves mainly because they seem to care more about Hollywood epics, formulas, cliches and promotion.

Eric Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
I too like so many of you am just still smiling and feeling all warm after watching this movie earlier today. Not just because of the content of the film but because it is such a great film. It feels so good to go to the theater and see something that is good enough for me to see, turn to my girlfriend and say, "that was just f***ing incredible." PTA is a genius in my opinion. Can't wait to see this one again and then the next thing he comes up with.

Oh and as a side note I love the fact that I can come on here and read people who are writing the same exact thoughts I have about the film and all that. Thanks for that. Without sounding really corny and sentimental and all that it means a lot to me to know I am not alone in my passions, even though most of you are miles and miles away. Have a good one.

-Eric

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Marc, I would say the "real" (ie general public) comments will come next weekend when it goes wide. What you are reading are PTA fans, and PTA has yet to disappoint. :D
Let's see how many "weird" and "horrible" comments we get next weekend.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
The Silhoutte scene was great, my favorite scene in the film.This guy is just amazing-a beautifully filmed movie.
I also loved after the car crash with the trickle of blood on Watsons head and Barry kicks everyones ass calm as can be
I was suprised that most of the laughs came from a older(60's I would guess)couple when I saw it.
Regarding a earlier post,Im still working on the piano thing and seeing it again will probally help.Any opinions about this?
I hate,loathe and despise sappy love stories but I saw this yesterday and Greek Wedding today and loved both. I must be getting soft in my old age. Gotta watch Requiem For A Dream and Apocalypse Now as soon as possible and get back to my normal self:D

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well, I am a Sandler fan, so some of them ARE on board, :)
I was telling Tino the other day that I was not surprised to hear that Sandler was great (before I'd seen it) because his whole comedy schtick is based around personality dynamics. He shifts from sweet and quiet to loud and aggressive for comedic effect all the time, it's one of his many "gimmicks". All PTA and Sandler did here was focus it in a different manner and often restrained any over the top comedic embellishment. But other than that I don't see that much new being brought to the table by Sandler in this film...and that's why I always have respected his comedy.
BTW, while his stand-up style comedy is not better than Williams (who is a master), his comedic and serious acting are better, IMO. He is harder to compare to Hanks because the just different. I don't think I could see either one doing the other's type of material/characters.
I sure hope to see Sandler doing more work like this. He's got a good screen presence.
As I said in the review, PTA dominates with this effort. To me this was direction as strong as Lynch did in Muholland Drive.
I was NOT really dreading a bad outcome for some reason. It just felt like to me the film had a path pointing toward redemption. I understand that with PTA things can come out of nowhere, but he just seemed to be laying out the groundwork for a positive Sandler transformation. He's going to get the girl because she is determined and comfortable with his volatility, he shows his ability for violence even though he is restrained early on, we see his attachment to Watson since he is at least willing to deal with her, and we know that a threat is coming not just to him but to her as well.
Also I think PTA makes the "villans" less dangerous than he could have (intentionally I think). He could have kept things more mysterious or had Hoffman be in more of a position of power himself. But a mattress salesman in Utah doesn't exactly invoke fear, nor does his rinky-dink "mafia" setup.
Sure they were able to touch his life and threaten him, but it never felt dangerous like Goodfellas, for example. I don't think we saw any guns or knives even mentioned as part of a threat.
One other thing regarding the suit. This is just the vibe it gave me, I have no idea if it was intended in such a way. It made me think "superhero". It was his costume. Is he ever out of his suit, basically? I don't think so. Also, there is no reason behind why he starts wearing it and continues to wear it.
So in some Unbreakable sort of way, this also felt like the birth of a superhero. His powers are manifesting themselves and when the time comes they emerge so that he can save the girl. He goes from Clark Kent to Superman. And he has that suit. :)
Could be nothing, just something it made me think of as I said.
I so loved the last line. Just as she said it my brain said "...and 'End'". I love when a film hits it's last beat like that with the right shot or dialog.
BTW, the fiancee HATED it. She also hates the Popeye song which didn't help. She didn't get the point of the film, as in why it was even made. I didn't think it was worth arguing over. But is there any bigger bummer than when you love a film and the person you see it with doesn't? :frowning:

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Marc, I would say the "real" (ie general public) comments will come next weekend when it goes wide. What you are reading are PTA fans, and PTA has yet to disappoint.
That's true, and I agree that PTA is on a helluva role.
BTW, someone posted on the PTAnderson.com forum that one dissapointed person made the following comment after PDL ended:
"Maybe if Meg Ryan had been the girl..." :rolleyes

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Okay, for some time now I have had the growing feeling that Ross Anthony, a reviewer who is allowed to participate at Rotten Tomatoes, was terrible. This makes it official.
, my recommendation is a pass on this odd little film.
Yet he knows PTA and enjoys his other 2 films and he knew this was a PTA film, so it's not just ignorance. He gives in a B- which is rotten on his scale.
Of course he also gave xXx an A and One Hour Photo a B-.
It's one reason you really can only use RT as a basic tool. You have to be careful who you are taking recommedations from. ;)
(Waterboy was okay, but it's Sandler's 2nd worst film behind Little Nicky IMO, so I have no idea why it even got brought up for comparison in the review).
So I guess some Sandler fans (insert insult here about them) ARE going to be dissappointed. I am one and I wasn't, so go figure.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
BTW, the fiancee HATED it. She also hates the Popeye song which didn't help. She didn't get the point of the film, as in why it was even made. I didn't think it was worth arguing over. But is there any bigger bummer than when you love a film and the person you see it with doesn't?
You feel my pain!!!! My wife hated the movie too. She thought it was dumb and weird. We then went to Best Buy and bought her favorite DVD of all time "Cave Man" *shudders*. It was a big downer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks