What's new

*** Official "PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Four lousy screens in Chicago!! Damn, Damn, Damn, Damn!! I live all the way in the Southwest burbs which means, I'll most likely have a long drive to see this film. Why is it, that whenever a movie comes out that doesn't fit the prototypical mold, it doesn't get a big release? I can't wait any longer though!
Hey, be thankful for what you do have. There are people who won't get to see it for weeks or even months (depending on overseas distribution). I sure don't feel sorry for people who live within striking distance of New York whining that they have to "travel" to go see a movie I've been DYING to see and won't get to see for a while yet.
Since you're coming from the burbs, if you want to maximise your movie-going experience, Bowling For Columbine is playing at the same theater Punch-Drunk Love is playing, Piper's Alley at North and Wells. I've already seen P-DL (at the Chicago Film Fest) but I want to see it again, so we're going to go see both. You might do the same, if BfC interests you at all.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Are you sure about this Edwin. If so this is fantastic news. Ever since I heard it was PTA and saw the trailer I've been dying to see it.

~Kevin

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Boy, talk about being whooshed! I knew that this movie would be all over the place review-wise, but I didn't expect a reviewer to *willfully* not get one of the most important aspects of the film.
This is an excerpt of TIME magazine's review:
(There are some spoilers in the review, so beware if you click on the link.)
"Why does Barry every now and then destroy a bathroom or a glass patio door? Dunno. Won't even speculate. Probably just one of those inexplicably surreal accidents that writer-director Paul Thomas Anderson likes. Remember the frog shower in Magnolia?"
:eek: :rolleyes:How can this be? How can an intelligent, articulate, respected reviewer be so clueless, when the answers to his questions are right there in front of him?
(Edited to include spoiler box)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the link to the Times Magazine Review... I needed a good laugh.

Apparently Richard Schickel (and the majority of American audiences) are used to being spoonfed answers.
Amazingly, the answer to his question is given in the film many times and is quite obvious.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Vancouver, B.C. (1 screen)
Actually. Apparently it's opening on 2 screens in Vancouver. 1 Theater and 2 screens.

I saw the film last night and thought it was excellent. Not as good as Boogie Nights and Magnolia but still retained everything that makes a P.T Anderson movie.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
So I managed to see Punch-Drunk Love last night, and I really enjoyed it. But I'm a bit confused by a few things. First, what was the signifigance of the piano? I tried to link events occuring with the piano to changes in the adam sandler's characters life, but once he was with emily watson, he never really went back to the paino much (except to bring it to her). Secondly, was this movie supposed to be so choppy, or was Anderson forced to cut a lot of it? Or perhaps it's supposed to be just a little over the top emotionally? Almost like watching an emotional circus?

Looking forward to seeing more discussion on this film once more people have seen it. I love all of PTA's previous work, and I like PDL a lot, but it's not nearly as straightforward I think as his previous work.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
The release date schedule was certainly confusing. As stated before, it's in Top 20 markets right now (I ventured to Vancouver to see it at Cinemark Tinseltown, where it was playing in two auditoriums), and will most likely go wide next week.
I love all of PTA's previous work, and I like PDL a lot, but it's not nearly as straightforward I think as his previous work.
Well, GOOD! :) I like things non-straightforward sometimes, I enjoy puzzles, hidden meanings, symbolism. I don't like films where all the thinking is done for me. Also, I don't think that "Magnolia" is as straightforward as you let on. ;)
"Punch-Drunk Love" may be classified as "An arthouse Adam Sandler" film, but I think it's finally an Adam Sandler film where his talents can finally come out to shine. Who knew that Sandler could be so complex in his mannerisms, so brutal in his anger, and yet so utterly charming to Lena (played here perfectly by Emily Watson) at times.
And he's in a film that is more original, more beautiful, and more insanely joyous than anything he has ever done before. Paul Thomas Anderson may not have bettered Magnolia here, however that is easily one of my favorite films and impossible to compare to. He has, however, constructed the most perfect romantic/edgy/quirky/comedic masterpiece of the year, a true original in idea and in execution.
Perhaps that isn't as in-depth as you guys would like, but like Anderson's previous work, it lives in my mind and in my heart, and sometimes great things can not be discussed. :)
Jason

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
RE: Richard Schickel of Time Magazine
How can an intelligent, articulate, respected reviewer be so clueless, when the answers to his questions are right there in front of him?
Hmmm, this is after all from the same person who said that Moulin Rouge was the worst film of 2001. Meaning, he found more redeeming qualities in both Glitter and Joe Dirt.
Buyer beware: There are some critics who are out to get press for themselves.
~Edwin

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Secondly, was this movie supposed to be so choppy, or was Anderson forced to cut a lot of it?
Anderson deliberately wanted the film under 90 minutes.

I saw it on Friday and I'm not sure yet what to make of it. It's definitely unusual, quirky and seems to be a good showcase for Sandler...I'm just not sure yet that it adds up to all that much.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
The shrieking baby in the theater during the first five minutes of the movie sort of distracted my attention from what was going on.
I was really interested by the film, had my share of problems with it, but I think PTA has crafted something special. Sandler has never been more three dimensional (although his performance in Wedding Singer had some charm) and sympathetic.
Regarding Schickel's confusion... I think he's just kidding. Right? I mean, he has to be kidding. He's not that stupid, is he? I mean, he writes for Time Magazine. Time would never hire a moron... would they?
:D
Joseph

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
I saw it on Friday and I'm not sure yet what to make of it. It's definitely unusual, quirky and seems to be a good showcase for Sandler...I'm just not sure yet that it adds up to all that much.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you right now. It is indeed a good showcase for Sandler but at the risk of sounding like a snob I'm still not convinced he has that much to showcase. Hearing that Anderson deliberately set out to make the film under ninety minutes long might explain some of the "issues" I had with the final product. I'll probably elaborate more in the review thread after I see it again, but then again, I may not! IT IS A MYSTERY!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I absolutely loved P.T. Anderson's Punch Drunk Love!
:star::star::star::star:
I thought it was a daring, original, provocative piece of bravura filmaking.
There were so many things that I admired about this film. The way P.T. Anderson uses music under a scene to build tension is amazing. I was practically on the edge of my seat during the entire 90 minutes waiting for another unpredictable occurence. That's one of the things I loved about it. I never knew what was going to happen next. That's rare nowadays and certainly welcome.
Adam Sandler was a revelation here. His performance is extraordinary with a range that I have never seen him show before. His portrayal of Barry Eagan was so deep and layered that I was rooting for him throughout the film.
PT Andersons style of filmaking is compelling. I like the way he uses the entire widescreen frame, edits the film for maximum tension, his use of music, and the quirkiness of his characters and his stories.
The supporting characters in the film were also good, such as Emily Watson, Luiz Guzman (who I wish had more screen time as someone has already mentioned) and especially Phillip Seymore Hoffman who is quickly becoming one of my favorites.
Punch Drunk Love is a one of a kind film and one of the years best films. Highly recommemded!:emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Since you're coming from the burbs, if you want to maximise your movie-going experience, Bowling For Columbine is playing at the same theater Punch-Drunk Love is playing, Piper's Alley at North and Wells. I've already seen P-DL (at the Chicago Film Fest) but I want to see it again, so we're going to go see both. You might do the same, if BfC interests you at all.
I did that last weekend. It was very convenient being able to see both films in one theater. The only thing that sucked was paying $12 for parking!

That list of cities for 10/25 has to be wrong. Indianapolis is not listed yet it is opening on several screens here this weekend. Maybe they decided to go wider than originally planned.

Jeff

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
This is one of the best films of the year, IMHO. I was practically grinning from ear to ear for the entire ninety minutes. Punch-Drunk Love is a sharp reminder of how routine Hollywood love stories have become. Also, only P.T. Anderson could actually make me root for Sandler (who I have always pretty much loathed) to get the girl!
I also adored the way that Anderson chose to film certain scenes, such as
the scene where Watson and Sandler kiss when the meet up in Hawaii. Very effective.
Link Removed

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
quote: Since you're coming from the burbs, if you want to maximise your movie-going experience, Bowling For Columbine is playing at the same theater Punch-Drunk Love is playing, Pipers Alley at North and Wells.
----------------------------------------------------------
Jeff Adkins: I did that last weekend. It was very convenient being able to see both films in one theater. The only thing that sucked was paying $12 for parking!
Wow, you came all the way from Indianapolis? Cool. Sorry about the parking situation. We take the el, so I didn't think to warn about the parking problems. It's a trendy yuppie area, and Pipers Alley is in the same building as Second City, plus the play/performance thingy/whatever-it-is "Tony n' Tina's Wedding" is playing in that building too. Needless to say, it's a hoppin' place, especially on the weekends.
Starting tomorrow, the Esquire on Oak at Michigan Ave. will also be playing Punch-Drunk Love and Bowling for Columbine too (as well as Real Women Have Curves and My Big Fat Greek Wedding). Theaters are slowly being added. I'll be glad when it's playing everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks