What's new

*** Official "PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
According to Link Removed:
11 October - NY/LA
18 October - Wide
...and that's the extent of it. I'd be fairly surprised if most markets don't get it the 18th.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
And, according to ptanderson.com, here is the release schedule:
May 19, 2002 - Cannes Film Festival
September 14, 2002 - Toronto Film Festival
October 5, 2002 - New York Film Festival
October 11, 2002 - New York/Los Angeles
October 18, 2002 - Rest of U.S.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Punch-Drunk Love". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
All HTF member film reviews of "Punch-Drunk Love" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Certainly an enjoyable film, with a great ability to convey romance, frustration, and paranoia. It did, however, try a little too hard to be quirky sometimes; it felt rather quirky for quirkiness sake. That aside, it's certainly a much more honest film than Magnolia's pretentious attempt at being Short Cuts II: The Next Day. P.T. Anderson (and Bob Elswit) fans will certainly find something worthwhile, although I'm not quite sure if much of Sandler's fan base will find it to be of interest (even though his character actually isn't that far from the paradigmatic Sandler protagonist). As for the rest of the main cast, Emily Watson was radiant and Philip Seymour Hoffman was hysterical, but I only wish that Luis Guzman had been given some more dialogue to work with.
DJ

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Are you talking about "He Needs Me"?

"She Needs Me" is what she repeats over and over actually (unless you're talking about another song).

It's sung by Shelley Duvall and is from Robert Altman's Popeye.

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
I'm trying to find out if and where this movie is playing this weekend in Minneapolis. Its very frustrating. No ads, no websites, no information!

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
There is remarkably little information about the release dates for this film, even here in the San Francisco area. Those who are fortunate enough to live in LA and NYC have already got the film in several theaters. As for the 18th wide release date, I doubt it. [rant]edit: it IS opening on the 18th everywhere, i stand humbly corrected [/rant]
Magnolia's pretentious attempt at being Short Cuts II: The Next Day
Respectfully, point taken. :) However, since I had the crazy notion that Magnolia stands on its own feet despite the inevitable comparisons to the Altman deity, I have a feeling I will enjoy PDL slightly more than you did. :D PTA's films, like Altman's, express their inherent pretention with a contagious, unabashed ambition.
Joseph

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
It looks like it's opening really slowly. More theaters this weekend but by no means "wide". We're getting it the 25th, and although the following statement is likely to attract bad karma from other HTFers, I would like really like to see it again sooner. It appears that expansion may also go beyond that weekend into early November. Curious for a big studio release, although it makes some sense to me. This is an unusual film that will need to build strong word of mouth.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Here are the cities that'll have PDL playing on October 18:
New York (17 screens)
Los Angeles (20 screens)
Toronto (7 screens)
Chicago (4 screens)
Philadelphia (3 screens)
San Francisco (7 screens)
Boston (4 screens)
Washington, DC (3 screens)
Seattle (2 screens)
Dallas (2 screens)
Austin (2 screens)
Montreal (1 screen)
Vancouver, B.C. (1 screen)
I'm extremely glad I caught this gem in Toronto last weekend. I think another viewing is in order.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
despite the inevitable comparisons to the Altman deity
I never once thought of Altman while watching Magnolia. Not once. The sensibilities of the two filmmakers are so different that the comparison strikes me as pointless. Both Magnolia and Short Cuts are long films, and both have Julianne Moore. Other than that, they don't have much in common.

M.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Both Magnolia and Short Cuts are long films, and both have Julianne Moore. Other than that, they don't have much in common.
Really? They don't have a similar story structure? They're both a day in the life of a group of people in L.A., with often cliched L.A. troubles (marital troubles, substance abuse troubles), that culminates in a environmental event that somehow (we're meant to believe) ties them all together. I don't think I'm stretching at all with this comparison and I'm surprised that you don't see it.

DJ

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Four lousy screens in Chicago!! Damn, Damn, Damn, Damn!! I live all the way in the Southwest burbs which means, I'll most likely have a long drive to see this film. Why is it, that whenever a movie comes out that doesn't fit the prototypical mold, it doesn't get a big release? I can't wait any longer though!

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
It's also playing in Mountain View & San Jose, suburbs of SF, so I wouldn't be surprised if many of the suburbs of the cities listed also get the film on the 18th.

I don't think I'm stretching at all with this comparison
While I don't see it as a stretch to compare the two films, I simply don't agree that Magnolia's inherent similarities to Short Cuts et al. automatically make it the lesser film.

~j

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Here is the release pattern:

October 11: 5 theaters
October 18: adds 73 theaters
October 25: wider
November 1: everywhere else

~Edwin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks