What's new

***Official PSP Post-Release Discussion and Review Thread Thread*** (1 Viewer)

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Gamefly.com is already renting out PSP games, which is great.

Also, take a look at the future firmware updates:

Word Processor- in conjunction with 3rd party keyboards, you can use your PSP as a nice word processor/editor.
http://www.gameseek.co.uk/productdet...aqce6he5x223r/

Web Browser- Its already happening, with some games using their own browser (like Wipeout) but expect an official browser soon.

Camera- Wow, Id definitely want this.
http://www.gadgetmadness.com/archive..._accessory.php

All of this info was known a couple of weeks ago when a firmware update was leaked from Japan.

Cant wait!

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
Dave Scarpa,

Does that flip top accessory flip to the back of the unit when open, or does it get in the way?

-------

A 5-10 GB stick affordably/competitively priced would certainly increase the mass appeal of the product, especially with the video capabilities.

Speaking of video, there's a great freeware encoder for psp out there called PSP Video 9. Very customizable and also allows you to manange all your psp files. It seems to work nicely, indeed.

BTW, lovin' Ridge Racer! Can't get enough of that wonderful drift!

mike.

RichardK

Second Unit
as far as 1Gb stick pricing...can you really get a DUO for $150 MSRP? sounds more like the regular stick price even for sandisk... Please post a source thanks....
im gonna get a 512mb pro duo from newegg... $71

RichardK

Second Unit
Thanks for the tip on the 1Gb duo.

Also, for those who want a quick, super easy way to get non-dvd video on to your PSP, try PSP Video 9. It is excruciatingly EASY to use. It took me less than 5 minutes to figure it out and another 2minutes to get a quick test video on to my PSP...Oh Yeah!!! I will definitely be ordering multiple mem sticks...Peace out. Enjoy!

PSP Video 9

I'll be trying out the DVD Encrypter tool later to try for the DVD to PSP move.

Brian E

Screenwriter
AFAIK there is no difference. There is a difference in the Pro vs non pro sticks that being read times.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
W00t! Just got a video to work on the psp! I have had some files encoded using pspvideo 9 for a few weeks, but could never get them to work properly on the psp for some unknown reason. I just downloaded the new 3gpp converter and it works. Its amazing how much you can geek out from something as simple as seeing a movie on a little handheld.

And why couldnt sony make the movie playback as easy as photo sharing and mp3 playback?

Jeff*S*C*

Second Unit
Just read that SanDisk announced a 2GB Pro Duo last month so the 1GB's may drop in price when that's released.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Has anyone done a realistic analysis of what is needed in the way of capacity for a memory stick on the PSP? I realize that digital photos and movies would be big memory hogs, depending on the resolution and number of images or the size of the MPEG-4 files, so the Gigabyte sticks would be appropriate here.

But what about saving games? In the brief time I've used my PSP I've noticed that each new game disc sets up some sort of game save file for me with each new entrant. And it is obvious that different games take different amounts of memory for storing this stick that information. Sometimes a game will just say "save" and other times (I forget which one) I get a message such as "Saving 560Kb". My question is - assuming one user per game, what do you think, on an average, the capability of the "stock" 32Meg stick is in terms of how many different games can be "saved?" I realize that this is just a generalization because of the wide differences in games and saving requirements, but is there any rule of thumb that one could use?

I'm thinking that I'll use the 32 Meg stick that came with the PSP for game storage and go for a bigger stick for all the video and multimedia goodies that are popping up.

Any takers on all of this?

Thanks.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Yes, Richard is correct...but Wipeout Pure has a downloadable content feature, and they have stated that their downloads, over time, will be over 32 megs. So for some instances, you need a bigger card.

Dylan-M

Auditioning
Ebay has some good deals if you dont mind buying em used.

Sorry to get off topic but does anyone know the range for Adhoc mode? Every time I go on Gretzky NHL there is nobody on, so I'm wondering how close people have to be.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Ive been using 3gpp for my video encoding and it did a fantastic job. But now i am confused because some files compress down to REALLY small sizes, while others get insanely large. For example, a 5 min clip from MATRIX got down to 16mb, while a 8 min clip from MATRIX RELOADED got down to 43mb. Those I can deal with. But a 18 min clip from YOUNG MASTER only compressed down to 172mb! I know that the more fast motion in a scene the more space it takes up, but that is an insane jump. On all the clips there are black bars, which should if anything cut down on file size. And the funny thing is I compressed a whole episode of 24 down to 126mb. All these were done using the same program with the same output settings. Any clues as to why some files, mainly the martial arts movies, just climb to insane sizes?

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
Random question:

Is the setup screen on all new PSPs green? All advertising and even the box shows the background as being blue. Mine's green. Is this right?

mike.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Mike the Flip top Cover goes completely up and does.nt hiner the shoulder buttons, it can work on the glare screen, but overall it blends nicely with the PSP. For me it's just a temp solution until logitech releases their aluminum case in April

RichardK

Second Unit
Kinda long...PSP lock up and UMD movie playback tip.

Anyone had their PSP lock up yet? Well, I have. At about 3pm yesterday I turned my PSP off in between games of Wipeout Pure. I was in the Wipeout game, not Home, when I turned the unit off. My battery was 95% charged. When I went to turn my PSP on last night at around 10pm, it came on, but it was stuck on a screen in the game playing music. I couldnt turn it back off, even after holding power off for a few seconds...none of the buttons responded, not home, not any of them. I have not perused the manual to see if there is a way to reset the PSP with a button combination or if there is some out of sight hard reset button.

As a 'last' resort I went ahead and just popped the battery out. The PSP shut off immediately. I ejected the Wipeout game, waited about 30sec and put the battery back in. I turned the unit on and....everything was fine, phew. I didnt lose any of my settings and the game played fine. Battery was still 95% charged.

Also, a neat thing I found out is that after ejecting my SpiderMan movie, the movie will start up at the same place you left when re-inserting and playing again. Fluke? Not sure, try it and see if it works for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks