What's new

***Official PS3 Discussion Thread - E3 Launch Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Shawn C

Screenwriter

I remember Sony saying that we would have graphics as good as "Toy Story", but rendered in real-time. Ummmm...huh? Not even close.

They are all full of B.S. It's all marketing. 1 teraflop? 2 teraflops? Riiiiight. Look at how good the XBOX is with a stinking 733mhz Celeron! I don't believe any of the hype from anybody.

After looking at the screenshots (which are mostly just pre-rendered screenshots), it looks like they are BOTH going to be pretty awesome. It's all about the games and what developers can do with the available hardware.

These companies can blow themselves all they want. It's all hype.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Hype until they roll off the line.

Remember how much all the specs change at the last moment too? Always down.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

That's a lofty prediction. Chances are, those lining up for the PS3 will either a) pick up Halo 3 for an existing 360 unit at home, or b) have no interest to begin with and ignore it altogether. Halo 2 sold well in 2004 (placing just behind GTA: San Andreas for top-selling title last year), with more than 6.4 million units sold worldwide by the end of January this year. However, it didn't have the longevity or staying power of the original Halo, and according to NPD, wasn't among the top ten selling titles for the first quarter of this year (that distinction actually went to Mercenaries, placing seventh, and MVP Baseball 2005 took the tenth spot). The rumour is that Bungie is already hard at work on the third installment, and that would make logical sense.

Microsoft and its avid supporters are placing all of their proverbial eggs into Halo 3, which may be somewhat risky, particularly if there's little innovation in the franchise. At the end of the day, it's still just one title, and it's simply not enough to reverse a company's fortunes. Unreal Tournament is my Halo: it's one of those franchises I'll support, regardless of what others think, and something I play long after others have moved on. Halo's good, but it's no UT. ;)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
not bein an anti-PS fanboy or anything, but... anybody else remember the rumor about how saddam hussein bought a bunch of PS2's for their CPUs to control nuclear missiles? :D

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Saddam's mistake was his not getting in touch with Habib Marwan sooner. ;)

Can we not derail this thread? :)

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Here's a link to a number of trailers of PS3 games currently in development (resolution isn't that great and you'll need a broadband connection for the streaming video, but it's free)

Those who want to watch the Conference presentation (1 hr, 49 minutes) can check this link (it's 600+ MB saved or streamed)

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Hi,

From what I see, and as an impartial observer (I don't own an Xbox or a PS2 - just a Gamecube), I can't see how MS is going to compete with its 360. I always considered the Xbox to be fairly superior to the PS2, but this time, I see a Dreamcast-style fiasco in Microsoft's future. Hype or not, everyone (probably me, too) will simply wait for the PS3, and forget about the Xbox... just like what happened to the poor old Sega console.

I just don't see how Microsoft expects to compete, now that it's known Sony's console is twice as powerful as the 360.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The Killzone 2 video is amazing. There's another video of some Ubi Soft game that is AMAZING real-time gameplay footage.

Frankly, the PS3 is going to be the most powerful of the next-gen. The XBox 360 will probably have the best online features. Game-wise, we'll have to see.

Not digging the PS3 controller yet. Gotta feel it first.

And 7 controllers on one system? WOW!

Sure, it ain't that sexy, but its powerful and I'm content.

Brian Kaz

Second Unit

A long time ago, I bought a controller just like that for my PS1. It was actually pretty comfortable.

I'm all over the PS3 (1080p is a HUGE factor for me). My problem with the Xbox is that 99% of their games wind up on the PC and I have a kick-ass PC. I'm also not that big of an online gamer.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Looks like the Gamecube will be my last Nintendo purchase.

The specs on this thing are absolutely amazing. I'm stunned.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
I hate the Sony hype machine, it killed my beloved Dreamcast. Is PS3 2x as powerful as XBOX360...

NO

Were all those demos realtime? Like Killzone?

NO

Will they get there probably. But the hype is just ridiculous.

;)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Check this out:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/p...ps3_051605.asx

Go to the Technical Demo video. Simply stunning.

And while Killzone 2 might not have been real-time, some of the videos I've seen on GameSpot were. They looked gorgeous. Compared to what Microsoft had running at the MTV special, PS3 looks better. I have yet to really be wowed by anything Microsoft has shown in terms of visuals, but the PS3 has already done it for me several times today.

EDIT:Just got done watching the whole Sony Pre-E3 press conference. Just based on what they said was real-time footage, I'm sold. Simply amazing.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

Raasean , you need to let it go, just let...it
...go ...... ;)

I bought a Dreamcast at launch, but for me, it was little more than a stopgap for the PS2. Great games (Soul Calibur and Power Stone still rank as two of my favourites on any platform), but the controller was the worst accessory I have ever used in my 20+ years of gaming.

As for the links, the first was a forum thread comprised of PC pundits engaged in one of their neverending debates of GPU supremacy (in this case, ATI's R500 vs. nVidia's NV50). In the end, their lively discussion almost always degenerate into pissing matches between both camps; the second one didn't work for me (I suspect it's just more of the same).

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Those who are considering a PS3, I hope you have deep pockets:

PS3 to sell for under $500

Let's keep in mind that Sony officials haven't issued a formal statement to the press on the subject of price, but I won't be surprised if the N. American MSRP is between US$399-499.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I think it is hard to guess what the price will be almost a year from now.

My guess is in line with most others: $349-$399.
Over $400 and parents will balk. I may be bite up to $500, but younger folks may not be able to do so.

A

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Considering the NES was $200 when it came out, $350 for a PS3 now is not a big deal. Especially considering how powerful it is compared to even the most high-end computer, $400 would be a steal.
They're using Blu-ray, for sure. In Sony's press event, Ken Kutaragi made a point that PS1 pushed CD-ROM based games, PS2 pushed DVDs, and PS3 will push Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks