What's new

*** Official PRINCESS DIARIES 2: ROYAL ENGAGEMENT Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I'll step up on the plate give a quick review of this followup to 2001's "The Princess Diaries".

I liked this film mainly for the characters, and their interaction with each other, plus there are many "throwaway" bits that made me laugh and contribute to the overall tone of the film. Many of the smaller roles produce good laughs (the maids, and the royal court "yeller") throughout the movie.

While not the most original of plots, I found the characters being more earnest and real enough to feel their pain and joy, director Gary Marshall finds a way for the audience to gain a foothold with the characters, and creates empathy for them.

Anne Hathaway has nice screen presence, and a nice comedic flair that seldom fails to amuse me. Julie Andrews and Hector Elizondo are good, but conflicted in their supporting roles due to the plotline, and a few characters from the first film also make their way to this followup.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I felt the same way about this film. Good, but not as good as the first film. Anne Hathaway is really so good at playing the character that you begin to forget she's not actually a princess and there is no such place as Genovia... at least until John Rhys-Davies starts to slightly chew the scenery. It was great hearing Julie Andrews sing again, even if she'll never be the Julie we remember.

I wondered, as I exited the theater, why they took such pains to wrap up all the storylines at the end of the film... that is until I saw Anne Hathaway on Graham Norton the following night. She absolutely refuses to do another film, even though she had a great time and loves the films. Apparently she doesn't want to get typecast for this sort of thing. Her next film involves nudity (that's certainly one way to wipe the image away :D )

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
I was so bored. The first part of this movie dragged on so long and was so boring, while the second half just seemed to quick and rushed. They repeated jokes from the first movie (I hate when movies do this) and when there was something funny they didn't execute the scenes very well.

I was disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks