What's new

Official Playstation 3 Blu-Ray player Thread (1 Viewer)

rolla

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Ok, new member here so be gentle please.

Anyway, the missus just bought me a PS3 for my bday last week. Everything seems to be working normally but I did have a question. How many HDMI outputs are there on the actual device? I'm at work now and am not looking at it, but I recall seeing only one. If I have that one hooked up to my TV, how would I connect it to an audio device via HDMI?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The audio and video are both transmitted over the HDMI cable. You don't need 2 outs on the PS3 because you're no longer going to be going directly to the TV.
Here's what you do (note: This requires 2 HDMI cables)
What you do is, connect the HDMI output of the PS3 into the HDMI input on the receiver, then connect the HDMI output of the receiver to the HDMI input on your TV.
Obviously, the only downside to this is that the receiver has to be turned on in order to view the PS3 on your TV, but that's not really a big deal.
EDIT: Just for clarification, I think your confusion lies with plugging the HDMI into the receiver and wondering how to get video to the TV.....when you plug the HDMI cable into the receiver, the receiver will accept both the audio and video signals...it will process the audio and pass it to the speakers, then it will send the video to the HDMI out which gets sent to your TV.
Most receivers should have the ability to choose what gets sent via the HDMI output. With mine, you can choose to just send video, or send video and audio. The reason for the later would be if you wanted to turn down the amplifier and use your TV speakers (possibly for nighttime play?), but it's probably best to not send the audio to the TV since it's already being processed by the receiver.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Hello, and welcome.
If your audio receiver has HDMI input, you connect the PS3 (which yes, has one HDMI out) to the receiver, then run another HDMI from the receiver to the TV.
EDIT:
Mark beat me by a minute!

rolla

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Ahhh...I see. Thanks for the thorough explanation, Mark. Oh, and Nicholas, though late, your contribution is appreciated as well.

BobL - is there any risk of the signal getting weaker via the splitter?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
rolla said:
Ahhh...I see. Thanks for the thorough explanation, Mark. Oh, and Nicholas, though late, your contribution is appreciated as well.
If you read some of the reviews on Monoprice for some of the splitters (not sure about that model in particular) you do get reviews saying they experience some dropouts. I don't use one so I can't vouch for the validity of those claims, so take it with a grain of salt.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
rolla, do you have a receiver that accepts HDMI? If so, how many does it have?
I would assume that 2 HDMI inputs would be the minimum amount of in's on a receiver, so even if you just had the two, you still wouldn't need a splitter because the receiver does the splitting.
If I'm correct, you really only need the splitter when you've surpassed the number of inputs on the receiver. Here; read this quote from the web site:
While a well designed A/V receiver may possess this type of functionality, they are usually limited in the number of inputs and outputs. Also, the receivers with the greatest number of HDMI in’s and out’s are generally on the higher end of the product line.
So I wouldn't worry about getting a splitter just yet. Again, it really all depends on how many HDMI devices you have and how many inputs you have on your receiver.
Of course, if you are going to buy a new receiver (with HDMI inputs) make sure there are enough for future use. It would be best to put that extra $80 (for the splitter) and put it toward the purchase of a receiver that has 3 or more inputs.
I mean, other than a Blu-Ray Player (i.e. PS3), your cable box, and maybe a high end SD-DVD player, you may not need more than 3 inputs, which shouldn't be too expensive to find in a receiver.
I would imagine the only real need for an external splitter would be to upconvert non HDMI signals to 1080 signals via the HDMI output, but I'm not sure what the deal would be (or cost) of purchasing one of those.

rolla

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Right now, I have an old analog Yamaha receiver. :frowning: However, it is definately time for an upgrade. Not sure what sort of receiver I'll get yet, but I was already leanign against the splitter idea anyway, thanks.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
I haven't experienced this or dropouts and would have sent the switcher/splitter back to Monoprice if I had experienced it. I run a 30 foot cable to my front projector, so if there was going to be a signal strength problem, I think I would have encountered it.

When my PS3 switches between modes (from game to PSN to Blu), I'll sometimes have signal interruptions but the switcher fairly quickly locks back onto the signal.

However, because I have a profound disrespect for the HDMI/HDCP combination, I always add that different hardware configurations may easily yield less satisfactory results.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
rolla said:
Right now, I have an old analog Yamaha receiver. :frowning: However, it is definately time for an upgrade. Not sure what sort of receiver I'll get yet, but I was already leanign against the splitter idea anyway, thanks.
My point was, if you're going to buy an HDMI receiver, then why not use it to do the switching? That's partly what they're geared to do.
Of course, unless your peripherals are so far away from the reciever that it's worth adding a splitter closer to the sources.

rolla

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Well, that's just it, I have no idea what kind of receiver I'll be getting. Honestly, I haven't even begun looking for one yet. I was just looking for the PS3 output answer and I've gotten some good info from you guys and plenty to think about, thanks.

FranklinC

Stunt Coordinator
rolla said:
If I'm understanding you right, I don't think an HDMI splitter is needed in your case. If you are keeping your old receiver for now, use HDMI for your video only and connect audio to your receiver with the best option available. Do you have optical input on your receiver?
If you are getting a new receiver, hopefully one with HDMI input and output (not pass through only), you wouldn't needed a splitter anyway.
Know what I mean?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
rolla, your original question was about passing audio to the receiver via HDMI. In order to accomplish this, you first need a receiver that has HDMI inputs. Most HDMI receivers have more than one input, so you wouldn't need a switcher.
Unless you are confused and think that because you are using HDMI for the video, that you have to send audio to a receiver via HDM?? That's not true, you can still go directly to the TV via HDMI (for video) and (as Franklin mentioned) send audio to the receiver without HDMI cables. You can use the optical out. Of course, this won't allow you the high end audio codecs, but if you're receiver is old, then that won't be a concern anyways.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
The receiver I connected works fine but because it's an inexpensive one, it doesn't pass through component sources to the HDMI out.
However, I enjoy TrueHD and DTS-MA through PCM and everything works fine on it with no audio/video issues.

grnova

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim Watson
Hello all,

I have been lurking forever, my name is Tim , I just bought a Onkyo 807 receiver and cannot figure out why my PS3 will not send sound through receiver. I have run the HDMI cable through the 807 and from the 807 to the PS3 via HDMI why so sound? PS3 is fully updated 2.43.

Thanks

Tim

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
grnova said:
Hello all,
I have been lurking forever, my name is Tim , I just bought a Onkyo 807 receiver and cannot figure out why my PS3 will not send sound through receiver. I have run the HDMI cable through the 807 and from the 807 to the PS3 via HDMI why so sound? PS3 is fully updated 2.43.
Thanks
Tim
Is your audio output on the PS3 set to HDMI?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Nicholas, I just bought "Bee Movie" and threw it in the PS3 for a quick sound check of the TrueHD track. It worked fine; I saw the display say it was Dolby TrueHD and it sent uncompressed audio to my receiver.
So I'm guessing that there may be some sort of issue with the PS3 Demo disc. It looks like my system is in working order.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
MarkHastings said:
Nicholas, I just bought "Bee Movie" and threw it in the PS3 for a quick sound check of the TrueHD track. It worked fine; I saw the display say it was Dolby TrueHD and it sent uncompressed audio to my receiver.
So I'm guessing that there may be some sort of issue with the PS3 Demo disc. It looks like my system is in working order.
Does your demo disc have the "Blu-ray disc" presentation showing all those Disney/Buena Vista films during its run time, notably the Pirate movies? It's still funny to me that it's in 720p despite advertising 1080p resolution and how impressive it's supposed to be.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

If so, that's the one problematic title on that disc, as I played the disc from beginning to end for the first time a couple of days ago.
All the movie trailers and game trailers sounded normal and were all TrueHD, even though the game trailers were TrueHD stereo.
I always avoided the game trailers in the past but wanted to see the entire disc's contents...this thing is programmed to play on an endless loop!

grnova

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim Watson
Sorry it took so long to post. I found out it was the new TV. Crutchfield replaced it just yesterday everything works fine now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks