What's new

Official Playstation 3 Blu-Ray player Thread (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Jari K said:
With "Weird Science", the old release is non-Anamorphic, but the newer "High School Reunion Collection" is Anamorphic.
With "Pulp Fiction", the original release is non-Anamorphic, but the newer CE/LE are Anamorphic.
What´s "just scan"-mode anyway? No overscan, or..?
Yes. The set must be a Samsung because mine has that setting too. It's for no overscan.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Sadly, with all it's great DVD upscaling, the PS3 won't convert a 4x3 lbxed DVD to 16x9 like my old Panny RP91 did. Hopefully a future firmware update will change that.

Kenneth Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Hi All,
(Apologies in advance if this was answered: I skimmed most of the pages in this thread but couldn't find the answer)
* Does anyone know if the Sony PS3 Blu-Ray Player has some sort of "Memory" function? (so you can bookmark / stop the disc and return to the same spot you were last watching from?)
Thanks,
Ken

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
if it is activated or not I think that depends on the disc?

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Got A PS3 as a Blu-Ray player and love it. Been having a blast with it for games as an added bonus.
A couple of questions mostly regarding the remote:
1) Is there a dedicated button on the remote for instant replay? You can get to it through the panel brought up by the Options button.
2) What are the colored buttons for?
Thanks!

Kenneth Lee

Stunt Coordinator
TonyD said:
if it is activated or not I think that depends on the disc?
Hey TonyD,
Thanks. Well if the "Memory / Bookmark" function is programmed into the Blu-Ray disc, how does one activate it on the PS3? Is it just "automatic" if it was programmed right? (so that after you Power Down, and turn it back on, it just returns to the last stop?)
Thanks~

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i havent been able to get a memory function to work.
some discs have the bookmark function.
i've seen it on some disney titles.
you have to press one of the color buttons to create the bookmark.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
DaViD Boulet said:
Sadly, with all it's great DVD upscaling, the PS3 won't convert a 4x3 lbxed DVD to 16x9 like my old Panny RP91 did. Hopefully a future firmware update will change that.
That's a great thought, but scaling nonanamorphic material became such a tough feature to find years ago that I ended up buying an iScan.
I do hope they add it eventually. Should I ever be able to take advantage of the PS3 upscaling on a larger display it would be a lot cheaper than buying one of the HD versions out there. DVDO won't even service the Ultras anymore. I had to buy a replacement on eBay when my original konked out.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
LinChen said:
Anyone found PS3 pretty noisy when playing a disc?
Mine's pretty quiet for a 60GB model, at least in the vertical position on the top of my stand. Was signficantly louder horizontal in the rack, even open behind it.
You can't hear my friend's 40 GB model even with your ear up to it. Well, you might hear the hard drive then.

LinChen

Agent
Thanks. I guess this is not a common problem with PS3 then. Mine (40GB)is pretty loud in vertical position, and louder in horizontal position. I might have to call their tech support service.

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
AaronMK said:
A couple of questions mostly regarding the remote:
2) What are the colored buttons for?
Thanks!
The colored buttons are part of the Blu-ray spec (though I don't believe they are mandatory.) They are assignable by the BD author, i.e. they have no specific purpose. The first BD I've seen to make use of them was "Monty Python's Life of Brian" where they are used for setting and retrieving bookmarks.
Edit: I also just noticed last nite that CE3K uses the color buttons for a bookmarking feature as well.

Kenneth Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Craig_Ehr said:
The colored buttons are part of the Blu-ray spec (though I don't believe they are mandatory.) They are assignable by the BD author, i.e. they have no specific purpose. The first BD I've seen to make use of them was "Monty Python's Life of Brian" where they are used for setting and retrieving bookmarks.
Edit: I also just noticed last nite that CE3K uses the color buttons for a bookmarking feature as well.
Hey Craig,
Thanks for the heads up! Did all 4 Color Buttons work for the "Bookmark" feature? Or if not, can you confirm which one was it? (I guess I can just press them all, but I just wanted to check :)).
Thanks~

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
LinChen said:
Anyone found PS3 pretty noisy when playing a disc?
There´s an older thread about these issues somewhere, but IMO it seems that there are "noisier" models out there.
I can´t think of other reason, since some people say that their PS3 is somewhat "noisy" (NEVER as noisy as Xbox 360, though.. ;) ) and then some say that their PS3 is almost "quiet". There are also opinions that are somewhere in the "middle".
For the record, my PS3 can be a bit noisy. Nothing *that* major (e.g. my Toshiba makes also some noise), but still.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
I just received my PS3 (40G), late last week.

So far I have been EXTREMELY pleased with it, for both upscaling and Blu Ray.

I have only run into one problem that I need some help with.

I am still awaiting my bluetooth to IR converter in the mail so I am stuck with using the controller to watch dvd's.

When I first got the PS3, I plugged in the controller to the USB port and fully charged it.

After it completed charging I removed it from the USB port and used it as a remote for a short while. It functioned as expected.

I put the controller aside and did not come back to it for ~30-40 hours. When I came back to it, the controller was seemingly dead. No red lights flashing and the PS3 would not recognize me pressing any buttons.

I then plugged it back into the PS3 via the USB and the PS3 immediately recognized it.

I assume the controller ran out of batteries but it seemed to short a period of time. Is there a way to "shut off" the controller when I am not using it that would help save the batteries or should I just leave it always plugged in to the PS3 any time I am not using it?

Also, what is the power on/off recommendation for the PS3? It looks like there are 3 levels: 1) On: 2) Stand-by (off from the front): and 3) Off (switch in back).

Can I just leave the unit on all the time or should I at least put it in stand-by? And will the controller charge in stand-by mode?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
After it completed charging I removed it from the USB port and used it as a remote for a short while. It functioned as expected. I put the controller aside and did not come back to it for ~30-40 hours. When I came back to it, the controller was seemingly dead. No red lights flashing and the PS3 would not recognize me pressing any buttons.
If you leave the PS3 on (which I'm assuming you did), the remote will stay on as well... and drain the battery. Keep in mind it's not just a device that uses current when you push buttons... it's in constant communiction with the PS3 so it uses juice just to sit there.

Yes, you can turn off the remote by itself while the PS3 stays on. Also, turning off the PS3 will turn off the remote even when it's disconnected.

p.s. I don't think the battery charges in stand-by mode. I'm pretty sure that the PS3 litearally needs to be "on" for that (bummer).

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Are you sure you completely charged it? I ask because later when it was dead you say there were "No red lights flashing". The ligths flash while it's charging. Once completely charged there is only one steady light for the port (or whatever they call it) that it is assigned to.

Press the PS button (center) to see charge level. Press and hold and you'll get the option to turn off the controller.

There are only 3 states that I know of....

1 off - switch on back turned off, no light on front

2 standby - switch on back is on, red light on front

3 on - green light on front

Not sure if that's the way Sony describes it but that's my take on it. I never mess with the switch on back, just leve it in standby mode.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
DaViD Boulet said:
If you leave the PS3 on (which I'm assuming you did), the remote will stay on as well... and drain the battery. Keep in mind it's not just a device that uses current when you push buttons... it's in constant communiction with the PS3 so it uses juice just to sit there.
Yes, you can turn off the remote by itself while the PS3 stays on. Also, turning off the PS3 will turn off the remote even when it's disconnected.
p.s. I don't think the battery charges in stand-by mode. I'm pretty sure that the PS3 literally needs to be "on" for that (bummer).
ok this sounds exactly like what happened to me. I will shut off the controller from now on. Thank you!
As a side note, is it harmful to leave the PS3 always on?

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
DaViD Boulet said:
p.s. I don't think the battery charges in stand-by mode. I'm pretty sure that the PS3 litearally needs to be "on" for that (bummer).
I think you mean the "controller", not the Blu-ray remote control, because the remote actually times out after a period. You are correct that the game controller must be "turned off" to conserve batteries (unless you shut down the PS3, in which case the controller is shut off automatically.)
And no, the controller batteries will not charge unless the PS3 is on (green light) vs. standby mode (red light).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks