What's new

Official Playstation 3 Blu-Ray player Thread (1 Viewer)

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator
Craig_Ehr said:
Now, if only Sony would update the firmware to apply the same performance for 480i/p content on BDs...
I agree, that's something I really wish they'd address. I hate that the PS3 will upscale 480p content that's on a DVD, but it won't on 480p content from a BD.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Agreed. Upscaling of "standard def" shouldn't depend on what format the inserted disc happens to be.

Add to my wish-list good anamorhpic-conversion for non-anamorphic DVDs.

Larry L

Agent
AFter spending the past two days reading this entire thread (and much other research) I decided to finally go pull the trigger on a 40G PS3 today, bought mostly to watch Blu Ray movies....gaming may come at some point. Anyway, excitedly, I opened box up, scanned the directions and got started connecting it. Step 1 was to disconnect my Panny upconverting DVD player....the whole thing should have taken 5 minutes. Disconnect power of DVD player, disconnect Optical Cable and HDMI cable, slide player out, re connect everything to PS3......DOH!!! All this time I thought my DVD player had an optical cable but it's Coax!!!! GRRRR...I don't have another optical cable just laying around....damnit, why do these things always involve multiple trips to the store! This will have to wait until tomorrow.

Two questions while I'm at it (that I either couldnt find answer for or didn't understand what I was reading): 1) I'm curious to know how compatible this device will be with my 22gb music library, ripped using iTunes on an iMac (all aac/mp4 files). I gather that it will play some files, those that weren't purchased from iTunes. Will the others play? With limited data displayed on the TV? What's the best way to get these files onto the PS3's hard drive (assuming it makes any sense to do so)? Everything is backed up on a portable hard drive, can I simply copy them over? I do have a wireless network with router....would streaming be better? 2) With regards to my audio connection options, my A/V receiver is a bit dated at this point, an Outlaw 1050, no HDMI, the aforementioned Coax, optical and 5.1 channel analog inputs. is the optical connection my best option at this point (pending a receiver upgrade)?

Thanks!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
hmm, so how do i get the music on my macbook or pc onto my ps3?
i have a wireless router too.
i see an option on the ps3 to search for media but it doesnt find anything.

Real Name
John Parry
It probably has it's on thread on here somewhere but just to make sure that everybody realises that blu-ray was the way to go...Warner are now blu-ray exclusive!

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator
As I've only had the time to read a few pages of this thread, perhaps someone would be nice enough to answer the following questions for me (referring to a PS3 with the latest firmware):

1) Can NTSC DVDs be upscaled over HDMI? 720p or 1080p?

2) If so, is reverse-pulldown employed to output a 24p signal from film-based 60Hz material?

3) Can both SD and HD XviD files be played back in addition to DivX and WMV?

4) If so, can 23.98fps DivX/XviD/WMV files be output at 24p for judder-free playback? Or does the PS3 always add pulldown and output them at 60Hz?

5) Also, if the PS3 is configured to output 480i to a widescreen SDTV, is there an option to output a widescreen DivX/XviD/WMV file anamorphically, rather than having to zoom in on the TV?

6) If connected via HDMI to a receiver and plasma TV - both with HDMI v1.3a - can the PS3 automatically adjust audio delay for perfect lip-sync?

7) Does using the slot-loading mechanism scratch discs in any way? I know Blu-Ray discs are slightly more robust, but I'm talking about DVDs as well.

8) Does the PS3 play SACD? If so, what sort of connection to the receiver does it require? Also, what is normal CD playback like?

9) How noisy is the PS3 during normal operation? Does it get very hot?

10) Am I right in thinking that using an optical connection to my receiver, I'll get regular Dolby Digital and DTS and PCM? I need HDMI for the other formats, right?

Cheers!

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
1) Can NTSC DVDs be upscaled over HDMI? 720p or 1080p?

2) If so, is reverse-pulldown employed to output a 24p signal from film-based 60Hz material?

3) Can both SD and HD XviD files be played back in addition to DivX and WMV?

4) If so, can 23.98fps DivX/XviD/WMV files be output at 24p for judder-free playback? Or does the PS3 always add pulldown and output them at 60Hz?

5) Also, if the PS3 is configured to output 480i to a widescreen SDTV, is there an option to output a widescreen DivX/XviD/WMV file anamorphically, rather than having to zoom in on the TV?

6) If connected via HDMI to a receiver and plasma TV - both with HDMI v1.3a - can the PS3 automatically adjust audio delay for perfect lip-sync?

7) Does using the slot-loading mechanism scratch discs in any way? I know Blu-Ray discs are slightly more robust, but I'm talking about DVDs as well.

8) Does the PS3 play SACD? If so, what sort of connection to the receiver does it require? Also, what is normal CD playback like?

9) How noisy is the PS3 during normal operation? Does it get very hot?

10) Am I right in thinking that using an optical connection to my receiver, I'll get regular Dolby Digital and DTS and PCM? I need HDMI for the other formats, right?

Cheers!
1) Yes. Upscaling is supported via HDMI up to 1080p (and it does a rather stellar job of it)

2. Full 1080p24 playback was added via firmware. As far as converting 60hz material, I am not sure if the PS3 is capable of reverse pulldown to be honest. I'll have to do some digging on that one if you don't get an answer sooner.

3. Xvid files do work (I've only done SD). However, they do have a bitch of a time streaming through WMP11. However, you can place the file on a USB stick or copy it ONTO the actual PS3's HDD and most Xvid files will work without flaw. Or you could use something like Tversity which is a third party media server program that is known to function just fine. Hopefully a future firmware upgrade will correct the streaming issues with WMP11.

4. I'm sorry, I do not have an answer on this particular one for you.

5. The PS3 has multiple viewing options for any DivX/Xvid/WMV file you throw at it. You can display it various options via the display panel on the system.

6. I'm currently not connecting my PS3 in that type of setup so I cannot answer that one for you.

7. I've never had an issue at all with my discs being scratched. I peronally love and prefer the slot loading drive.

8. Depends on the model of the PS3. The 20GB, 60GB, and 80GB model do indeed support SACD playback and many features to help enhance both SACD and CD playback. The 40GB model, however, does not support SACD playback.

9. The PS3 is whisper quiet for me. I'd have a hard time knowing it was on if it wasn't for the green LED showing it has power. The bottom right hand corner where the drive and other components sit do indeed get quite warm but the system is well ventilated and built like a MAC truck.

10. Correct.

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info - very helpful! I also had a thorough read of the instruction manuals on Sony's website, and it looks like an incredible machine. Just gone and ordered a US 40GB model!

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I just got a new PS3 yesterday and I have one quick question. Which unit would be better for upscaling my standard DVD collection: the PS3 or my Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD player? I've been very happy with the A1 so far, but I was just wondering if the PS3 might do the job even better. Any thoughts or opinions?

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I had both the A1 and the PS3 running in my setup for a time and while the differences were fairly minimal I preferred the PS3. Not sure if I could really quantify why exactly. It just looked better to me.

Mark Gad

Auditioning
Just purchased a 60gb PS3 yesterday (last one I could find for hardware based backwards compatibility). First Blu-ray movie I played looked amazing. Then played a SD DVD, but the PS3 did not upscale (still played @ 480p, per my TV's display). Using a HDMI connection. If I understand previous posts, I need to update the firmware to upscale DVD's? PS3 won't upscale DVD's 'out-of-the-box'?

Thanks.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Mark Gad said:
Just purchased a 60gb PS3 yesterday... If I understand previous posts, I need to update the firmware to upscale DVD's? PS3 won't upscale DVD's 'out-of-the-box'?
True, a 60 GB PS3 will not upscale DVD over HDMI out of the box. The firmware it shipped with was ancient. Not only that, but it's even a lousy 480p player on that firmware revision. Version 1.80 changed all that, and 2.10 makes it a fully 1.1 Profile-compliant blu-ray player. So upgrading firmware is highly recommended.
The 40 and 80 GB players ship with 1.93, so firmware updates are less critical (but still highly recommended).
-Lyle J.P.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Chris S said:
I had both the A1 and the PS3 running in my setup for a time and while the differences were fairly minimal I preferred the PS3. Not sure if I could really quantify why exactly. It just looked better to me.
I have a PS3 and a Toshiba HD-A2. I was watching a rented SD DVD on the PS3 last night when it got stuck and could not play. I took it out and noticed there was a large scratch. I put it in the A2 and it played fine.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
TonyD said:
hmm, so how do i get the music on my macbook or pc onto my ps3?
i have a wireless router too.
i see an option on the ps3 to search for media but it doesnt find anything.
While not a direct answer to your question, take a look at this for the Apple:
Nullriver Software ~ Products ~ MediaLink for PS3
It looks very cool, but I have not tried it yet. I am going to have to send my PS3 off to Sony so I haven't installed it yet. Has any one here had trouble with their PS3 drive? Mine has stopped reading PS3 games. Strangely enough it still appears to play Blu-ray movies and it still plays SD-DVDs and PS2 games.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
RolandL said:
I have a PS3 and a Toshiba HD-A2. I was watching a rented SD DVD on the PS3 last night when it got stuck and could not play. I took it out and noticed there was a large scratch. I put it in the A2 and it played fine.
I suspect that kind of thing can work out either way on a case-by-case basis though I do think Toshiba SD players were always pretty good at properly handling minor issues and such w/ SD playback while I've never been as confident w/ Sony's transports. No idea if any of that has been inherited by their respective HD players/transports -- and of course, this is just my own opinion based on what I've observed over the years.
OTOH, I have at least one SD title that plays fine on the PS3, but would not load at all on my comparably priced, 1-yo Denon SD uni-player. The disc has no noticeable defects on it -- and other titles in that series work fine on both players as far as I can tell. Go figure...
_Man_

douwgza

Auditioning
Real Name
Douw Gerber
Hi all,

Quick question...

I have my Sony STR-DG910 AVR hooked up to a PS3 via HDMI. I am getting the blue multichannel light at all times. What I am trying to say is it is in multichannel mode (shows PCM 48) when I am just on the PS3 dashboard.

When I play music CD's or MP3's that are two channel it still shows mutlichannel PCM48 but I can hear that sound is only coming out of the main speakers which is what I want, but I cannot utilise the A.F.D. or any of the processing modes - I get a message "not used" when I try to use them.

Is this correct and normal operation?

Is there a STR-DG910 thread in this forum - if so please post a link as I cannot find it with a search?

Cheers

Douw

Russell B

Stunt Coordinator
I have my PS3 set to "normal" on the upscale and my LCD tv set to "just Scan" mode. When i play Pulp Fiction and Weird Science the picture appears in the center of the screen with black bars top, bottom, and the sides.

Anyone know what i may have setup wrong?

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
douwgza said:
When I play music CD's or MP3's that are two channel it still shows mutlichannel PCM48 but I can hear that sound is only coming out of the main speakers which is what I want, but I cannot utilise the A.F.D. or any of the processing modes - I get a message "not used" when I try to use them.
I have the 3300ES and have the same issue. I don't understand what's going on but I found a work-around. Go into the audio settings on the PS3 and manually turn off all the 5.1 and 7.1 LPCM settings. If I remember right you can leave the DD & DTS 5.1 settings on.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Russell B said:
I have my PS3 set to "normal" on the upscale and my LCD tv set to "just Scan" mode. When i play Pulp Fiction and Weird Science the picture appears in the center of the screen with black bars top, bottom, and the sides.
Anyone know what i may have setup wrong?
Sounds like non-anamorphic DVDs to me.

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
I just got this in an email newsletter. Interesting:
Nintendo Wins December Console Race
Here's news that should come as a surprise to no one. The Nintendo Wii outsold both the Xbox 360 and the PS3 in December 2007. It even outsold the PS2, which also happened to outsell the newer PS3. Check out this story and take notes because I think the console game story will be very different by this time next year.
Can't PS3 Catch a Break?
Nintendo Wins Dec. Console Race - News and Analysis by PC Magazine

Users who are viewing this thread