Official Playstation 3 Blu-Ray player Thread

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Evolution-One said:
One thing that's always worth remembering if you are having AV difficulties with the PS3 is that it may be worth you running it through the auto set up mode to try remedying it.
To do this, make sure your PS3 is on standby with the red light on. Press the power button on the front of the PS3 and keep your finger on it until the PS3 beeps. It will test to see what you have connected to it and set it up with the maximum specs that your equipment supports.
I think the PS3 can only sense a HDMI connection and thus only if you have your 'display monitor' and 'sound processor' (television/reciever/pre pro etc) connected via HDMI, can it set things automatically. As for any other form of connections, the PS3 has absolutely no way to know what connectors you are using and/or what your equipment is capable of, thus it cannot set things up automatically for your system. By doing as you suggest, ie. "Press the power button on the front of the PS3 and keep your finger on it until the PS3 beeps.", the PS3 will only reset to it's default settings. What you have suggested is not an "auto setup mode", but rather a simple 'reset to default' procedure. By the way the default settings are, 480i video out (connections for this need to be made to the composite connector on the display monitor), Stereo analog audio out (connection needs to be made to the analog audio connector on your television/receiver/pre pro etc.). Both of these connections can be made with and only with, the standard cable provided with the PS3.

Real Name
John Parry
That's right, it's only HDMI enabled devices that carry the device signature and they should hand-shake when connected correctly.
What the auto setup does is hand-shake with the equipment to acquire the supported modes then resets your display to one that can be read on your screen and it also give the option to switch to any other resolutions that your screen does support.
This will work perfectly using HDMI irrelevant of whatever output the PS3 is currently using which leaves you with a black screen.
You can do this manually instead of via the auto set-up but it requires you to either know where the settings are on the PS3 due to a black screen or switching to another cable which supports that signal that it the PS3 is currently outputting.
What Sony recommend is to simply perform do the auto start up as it's far quicker and simpler to do it that way.
There are limited hand-shake issues between some HDMI devices but the vast majority will handle that perfectly with the PS3. Mine detected everything automatically as soon as it was connected to my TV but if you are having problems, as I suggested earlier, it may be worth you attempting to do it this way.

MarekM

Supporting Actor

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
yep. Finally here (tomorrow). And then in early 08 DTS-HD MA decoding comes on board. Good times...

MarekM

Supporting Actor
DaViD Boulet said:
yep. Finally here (tomorrow). And then in early 08 DTS-HD MA decoding comes on board. Good times...
I whish for DTS-HD MA under christmas tree hmm,....... any indications how early in 08 will it be here ?
Marek

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
I'd just be happy if this addressed the issues I'm having with PoTC AWE with 2.01

Tres cool that BD 1.1 is now official. Makes me glad I opted for the PS3 over a standalone BD player!

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
So I pulled the trigger and got an 80 GB PS3. I still have my Z1 which only accepts component. Bluray playback is great but for SD DVDs....I know it cannot be upscaled or upconverted due to the component's analog nature. I just want it to fit the whole of my screen and not be having white lines on top and be off center. Any work around this? Or am I just stuck like that till I get an HDMI pj?

Chris S

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
You could always leave your old SD player hooked into the system (or available for quick plug-up) as an alternative. I've had to go that route in the past. It's not optimal but I think the ~30 seconds it takes to unplug and replug items in is well worth it when getting ready to watch a 2 hour film.

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Sony did stop producing these, so ToysRUs is clearing inventory. Still a good deal, especially since I believe this version (just like the original 60GB version) has the Emotion Engine, allowing it to play virtually all PS2 games...if that's important to you. The more recent revs use an emulator and are not universally compatible with PS2 games, from what I understand.

pearlyred

Grip
Real Name
Lee
Yay, finally we have DivX and wmv playback also. Can anyone recommend a good media server for my pc that will stream files to the PS3?

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Evolution-One said:
To be honest, I don't post that before as I thought you was the obvious answer and that you'd feel insulted if I mentioned it lol!

I can't think why there would be any problems with SD stuff but if you do get any post here and I'm sure somebody will have suggestions.
One thing that's always worth remembering if you are having AV difficulties with the PS3 is that it may be worth you running it through the auto set up mode to try remedying it.
To do this, make sure your PS3 is on standby with the red light on. Press the power button on the front of the PS3 and keep your finger on it until the PS3 beeps. It will test to see what you have connected to it and set it up with the maximum specs that your equipment supports.
Bear in mind that this may not detect all your equipment but it can be usefull if your PS3 has reset itself for some reason and your not able to get a picture because it's reset it to a different cable type.
Ditto/the PS3 set up is a bear and has at least two places to set audio. Check all the menus out in the PS3. Also I discovered last night that I needed bitstream set for optical to the 7200. Otherwise only two channels.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wombat