What's new

Official Playstation 3 Blu-Ray player Thread (1 Viewer)

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I exchanged my PS3 last night with the hope that I had one with especially bad fan noise. I had it for over 3 weeks, and was waiting to see if I was exaggerating its impact, and if I'd get used to it. I think I can live with 2nd gear, but when it kicks in to 3rd gear, it's like a jet engine. I've tried the unit horizontally in an open rack, and vertically in the open. When playing a game, or upscaling a DVD, after 15-20 minutes, it starts roaring. I don't think I can listen to music with even 2nd gear going. I can hear it from the opposite side of the room, about 12 feet.

So, I'm going to test the new one for a week or so. Last night, after setting it up & updating to v1.9, I let The Birds play for about 20 minutes. I think it stayed in 2nd gear, but there was too much ambient noise (crickets, neighbor's AC), for me to tell. The real test is when all the windows are closed.

If this one has the same symptoms, I'm going to exchange it for a standalone BD player.

Regards,

Doug

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I'm thinking of buying the PS3 60gb machine. My Yamaha receiver is old so I only have the optical input that does DTS and Digital 5.1. My Sanyo Z4 720p projector has HDMI input but I just have RGB component cables running through the wall up to the ceiling. Will I have any problems with the picture - able to do 720p, or sound - able to do DTS and/or digital 5.1 ?

Thanks,

Roland

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Earl Simpson said:
Cool, anyone try go to different sites on the internet than the Sony ones?
what do you mean.
you have always been able to do that.
you can go to htf if you want.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Is there a gossary somewhere on what each of the display and BD settings represent ? for example what's the difference between RGB (full and limited) the settings for HDMI (RGB and YPBR) Color crossing filter, Super-white and all the other things.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Does the PS3 still have problems upscaling SD DVDs. I recently bought a Samsung LNT-4665F. I knew the model had some HDMI issues, such as signal dropouts. But I knew they could be fixed with firmware or Samsung would send someone out to replace the board if the tv was affected. I was getting flickering or dropouts with my set over HDMI. However, it only seems to be happening when I am using the PS3 with upscaled SD-DVD. Everything seems to work fine when I am watching Blu-Ray. I would hope it's not something wrong with the PS3 instead of the TV which is easilly fixable. But I know that the PS3s did not upscale SD-DVD until one of the recent software updates. I was wondering if there were still any known issues. Does anyone know?

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I have a 1 week old PS3 with the 1.90 update, I've played about 4 or 5 SD-DVD discs with no issue....check the settings for DVD upscale on the player to see if there's something you might need to change.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I have WMA enabled under the 'system settings' tab but when I try to play one it says it's 'unsupported' or somesuch.

Here is the help I get from the online manual...

Enable WMA Playback

To enable music data in WMA format to be played, connect to the Internet and perform an authentication procedure.
Any help appreciated.

Real Name
John Parry
BrettB said:
I have WMA enabled under the 'system settings' tab but when I try to play one it says it's 'unsupported' or somesuch.
Any help appreciated.
All WMA files are not the same.
What format WMA are they and where are they as you try to play them?

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Not sure what you mean by 'format'. It's just an audio file. On the computer under properties it does say that it's 'protected'.
It's a medley from POTC:AWE that I got thru the Coke Rewards website before the movie came out. Plays fine on the computer. I copied it to a cd and transfered it to the PS3 HDD and no go.
I case you can't tell I don't have any experience with burning/ripping or whaterver this is called. :laugh:

Real Name
John Parry
BrettB said:
I case you can't tell I don't have any experience with burning/ripping or whaterver this is called. :laugh:
Don't tell anyone but...I don't either lol!:laugh:
I've got a 320GB hdd in my PS3 and was hoping to get some lossless* music on it but the PS3 doesn't support any lossless yet.
*You may already know but lossless (FLAC, WAV, ALE etc) music means that it sounds exactly the same as the CD you ripped it from when it's compressed as opposed to lossy (MP3, Vorbis, AAC etc) in which you cut out some of the data to make the file smaller.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Doug Otte said:
I exchanged my PS3 last night with the hope that I had one with especially bad fan noise. I had it for over 3 weeks, and was waiting to see if I was exaggerating its impact, and if I'd get used to it. I think I can live with 2nd gear, but when it kicks in to 3rd gear, it's like a jet engine. I've tried the unit horizontally in an open rack, and vertically in the open. When playing a game, or upscaling a DVD, after 15-20 minutes, it starts roaring. I don't think I can listen to music with even 2nd gear going. I can hear it from the opposite side of the room, about 12 feet.
So, I'm going to test the new one for a week or so. Last night, after setting it up & updating to v1.9, I let The Birds play for about 20 minutes. I think it stayed in 2nd gear, but there was too much ambient noise (crickets, neighbor's AC), for me to tell. The real test is when all the windows are closed.
If this one has the same symptoms, I'm going to exchange it for a standalone BD player.
Regards,
Doug
Reporting back after exchanging the 60GB for an 80GB...the 80 was actually louder than the 2nd 60. In 2nd gear, the fan was about the same loudness. However, it then went into 3rd gear (the 2nd 60 never did this). So, I just decided to avoid any further aggravation, and I returned it.
I'm back to SD for now. Maybe later down the road, I'll dip into HD again. Thanks to everyone who made suggestions and tips. I hope you all enjoy your PS3s.
Regards,
Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks