What's new

Official Playstation 3 Blu-Ray player Thread (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It's coming up on two days since the old TV resurrected itself, and it still seems fine.

So I took a look in the manual, and noticed a "MonitorLink" jack on the back of the set. According to the manual, this can be used as a DVI input:

When used as a DVI input, MonitorLink input is compliant with HDCP and the EIA-861 standards for standard, extended, and high definition video. This input is not intended for use with personal computers or devices outputting video signals with computer resolution.

Caution: To ensure continued FCC compliance, the user must use a shielded video interface cable with bonded ferrite cores at both ends when using the MonitorLink/ DVI input.
Do I understand correctly, then, that I can use one of those HDMI->DVI cables to get 1080i out of the PS3? If so, then will the PS3 upconvert DVDs to 1080i via that connection?

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Have any other parents in this thread tried to set parental controls for DVD, BD, and games? We restrict our daughter from watching anything rated R or above. In the PS3 settings, there are limits numbered 1 through 9, but no indication of how they relate to actual USA ratings. The online manual refers me to the Sony Playstation site, where a search fails to find any more info. I can experiment w/ different discs, but if anyone has found better info, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Doug

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Thanks, Cees!

Doug, trying to find technical information in the included booklets and online manual has been a disturbingly painful experience. The online manual talks about levels 1-8 for DVD and 1-11 for games (and doesn't mention the numbers for BD), but doesn't say anything about the numbers beyond "lower is more restrictive."

Sony should be embarassed.

Real Name
John Parry
The reason that the PS3 uses number ranges rather than age settings is quite simply because each region has different ratings across the globe and because you can play region free Blu-rays on it.
All you need to do is set against a film that you don't want your kids to be able to watch.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Evolution-One said:
All you need to do is set against a film that you don't want your kids to be able to watch.
How?
I understand *why* they do it that way; but the fact that they don't document how it works is unacceptable.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
It seems like it wouldn't be hard to document in a chart that, for example, number 5 = R in USA, etc. Anyway, Aaron, I'm guessing John is suggesting what I was thinking I'd have to do: set the rating at an arbitrary number, put in an R-rated disc, see if it traps it. If not, keep changing the settings until I find the boundaries. Peculiar...

Doug

Franklin

Agent
so i jumped on the PS3/BR band wagon yesterday. i think i'm pretty happy i did.

however i'm having a problem i think. i noticed that there is a slight "double image" when i'm going through HDMI. for example, its very apparent when i go to the PS store and it says "please wait" while it connects. generally the drop shadow is off the one side, but on mine it has a "shadow" on both sides. i tested out component cables and this clears up. (however, i also noticed that i had to wiggle the plug in the back here to get it to go from a B&W picture, to a weak color, then to finally giving a good signal).

i'd like to use HDMI to free up a component input on my receiver. does this sound like a problem with the PS3, the HDMI cable or possibly the HDMI input on my set (A toshiba 46HM84)?

Real Name
John Parry
Yeah, that was what I meant Doug. It does take extra time to do it but it gives us more control over what we do and don't allow.
Doug, It now seems the Paramount deal is 18 months only and excludes all of Spielberg's films...it's no wonder this place is busy! lol
It seems that Michael Bay is refusing to make Transformers 2 unless the first one gets a Blu-ray release??? I think he's taking a risk with a threat like that to be honest...
EDIT:
Franklin, I've not heard of that before. As you are able to correct it by adjusting the cable it sounds like a fault on which ever end you are adjusting.

Joe_G

Second Unit
Franklin said:
so i jumped on the PS3/BR band wagon yesterday. i think i'm pretty happy i did.
however i'm having a problem i think. i noticed that there is a slight "double image" when i'm going through HDMI. for example, its very apparent when i go to the PS store and it says "please wait" while it connects. generally the drop shadow is off the one side, but on mine it has a "shadow" on both sides. i tested out component cables and this clears up. (however, i also noticed that i had to wiggle the plug in the back here to get it to go from a B&W picture, to a weak color, then to finally giving a good signal).
i'd like to use HDMI to free up a component input on my receiver. does this sound like a problem with the PS3, the HDMI cable or possibly the HDMI input on my set (A toshiba 46HM84)?
It could be a faulty cable/connection. Also make sure that the resolution setting is set correctly on the PS3. If you're trying to pass a signal from the PS3 that the display isn't capable of displaying, (example: you're tv is capable of displaying resolutions up to 1080i and you have the PS3 set at 1080p), this will also cause a somewhat distorted, shadowy image.

Franklin

Agent
i HOPE its not the connection on the PS3's side. the only reason why i would think that was because the strange B&W and off-color image i got when i hooked the component cables up to it and i had to wiggle it to get it display properly. i havent touched it since, and its been fine in that respect.

the settings are correct. my HDTV can display up to 1080i which is what i have the PS3 running at. this "ghost" image issue is still aparent when ran at 720p through HDMI as well.

im going to bring my PS3 and cable to my bro's who has one running on a sony bravia. i'll switch the stuff out and check the HDMI cable with his and see what i can find. i'm hoping its just a faulty HDMI cable.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Evolution-One said:
It seems that Michael Bay is refusing to make Transformers 2 unless the first one gets a Blu-ray release??? I think he's taking a risk with a threat like that to be honest...
That's awesome.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
So I'm thinking about getting a PS3 but the problem is our Z4 has only one HDMI which is being taken by the DVD player. Question is can I still get close to the HD quality with component cables? I know, I know simple question I should know the answer to but its my first forey into HD gaming.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
The PS3 plays DVDs... so why not use that instead for both? Definitely use the HDMI for the PS3... whatever you do.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
Because our DVD player is the Oppo and I LOVE that thing to death! I guess I'll have to upgrade the receiver with HDMI. Arrggg..more money I didn't wat to spend.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I have the Oppo too. After using the PS3's upscaling for a week or so, I now prefer it to the OPPO. The picture has more depth, fewer digital artifacts, and looks a tad more film-like, when upscaled with the PS3. The Oppo sits on the shelf with no cables hooked to it most of the time.

Have you run the latest update to get upscaling working on the PS3 for DVD?

The only reason I still have the OPPO is for the occasional R2 DVD.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Make sure you upgrade when you get the PS3 -- I got a PS3 directly from the Sony website last week, and it came with firmware v.1.51! (It's up to 1.90 now.)

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
I've sent the Sammy back to Amazon because I'm none too thrilled with the audio limitations of the 1200. So after doing some research, I'm pretty convinced that the PS3 is the way to go. The HDMI output means that I'll need to upgrade my receiver. My question concerns hi-def audio streams over HDMI. Do I need to buy one of the newer Onkyo receivers to take advantage of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD? Or will any receiver that passes audio by way of HDMI do the trick?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks