What's new

Official Playstation 3 Blu-Ray player Thread (1 Viewer)

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I picked up a PS3 some time back in October, use it 85% for blu-ray 15% for games.
The only thing I don't like is that it won't scale 720p games to 1080i (as my TV won't do 720p)
Anyway looks like I have a lot to read :
You last visited: 03-06-2005 at 05:29 PM

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Updated to 1.90 and the system locked up before the actual install. Turned the unit off for 30 minutes and back on and it did the update fine. Customer service told me it was toast and to send it back when it locked. That is when I decided to cold reboot and then turn on the box normally. The unit may have been confused on which remote to use.

runnersdialzero

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Saxon
I know this has been asked a million times but I'm getting conflicting answers.
Does the PS3 upconvert SD-DVD's to near HD quality or no?
Thanks!
Saxon

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Strange ps3 problem last night. I was watching an upconverted regular DVD, and I noticed that the audio was about hald a second out of sync. I'll have to confirm on another player, but has anyone else noticed a problem like this? I'm using optical audio and 1080i over HDMI (this was on Oz Season 4 disc 1 ep 3 if it makes a difference).

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
runnersdialzero said:
I know this has been asked a million times but I'm getting conflicting answers.
Does the PS3 upconvert SD-DVD's to near HD quality or no?
Thanks!
Saxon
As David said that update came in 1.8 but is only accessible if you are using HDMI. You can not upconvert over component cables.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
FedEx brought my console a day early, too. :) I just had time to hook it up to the old bedroom TV (I don't have an HD set at the moment) and make sure everything was working. Forgot to check the firmware version. I need to figure out a wireless network setup anyway -- I only have a single DSL modem for my PC.
My 2-year-old got a kick out of ATV Off-Road Fury 2 though. :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
OK. . .I really don't know much about wireless networking. What do I need to get the PS3 to talk to my DSL connection? Bizarrely, the PS3 documentation doesn't say squat about this.

The PS3 has a Wi-Fi logo on it. Do I need to specifically find a wireless Wi-Fi router? Is that compatible with any 802.11 wireless router, for example, "Wireless-G?" Will I need to upgrade my DSL account for home networking if I only plan on using one piece of equipment at a time? Can anyone recommend an inexpensive box that will get the job done?

Thanks!

Real Name
John Parry
Aaron Silverman said:
OK. . .I really don't know much about wireless networking. What do I need to get the PS3 to talk to my DSL connection? Bizarrely, the PS3 documentation doesn't say squat about this.
The PS3 has a Wi-Fi logo on it. Do I need to specifically find a wireless Wi-Fi router? Is that compatible with any 802.11 wireless router, for example, "Wireless-G?" Will I need to upgrade my DSL account for home networking if I only plan on using one piece of equipment at a time? Can anyone recommend an inexpensive box that will get the job done?
Thanks!
I don't think you actually need anything special!
I upgraded my PS3 (can't remember which version) and it flashed up on my PC screen as a media center without me doing anything at all.
I can't really offer any advice as mine did it all without any help from me but have a look at the DLNA guide here: http://uk.playstation.com/help-suppo...lient-feature/

Jim Rondeau

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron Silverman said:
Thanks!
Do you have any kind of router currently? Or is your DSL modem just plugged directly into your PC? Either way you need a wireless router and a 'G' would be preferable as it's much faster than 'B'. I use the Netgear WGR614NA. It works great with my PS3, Wii, and DS. You can usually find it on sale for $40 at Best Buy, CC, or Staples. I use cable and not DSL, but I don't think you'll have to do anything on that end anyway. Just hook the router to the modem, your PC to the router, follow the configuration steps and then your PS3 should be able to find it.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Perfect. . .thanks guys, that's kinda what I thought. Right now my PC is just plugged directly into the DSL modem, and I haven't been online with my ancient laptop in a long time.

CompUSA has a LinkSys Wireless-G kit with a router and laptop card on sale for $30 today. Think I may head over there at lunchtime.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
One more question. . .should any USB keyboard and/ or mouse work with the PS3? Do they just plug into the controller jacks? I'll probably just get one of those PS/2 - USB adaptors since I have various old keyboards and mice floating around anyway. . .

Jim Rondeau

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron Silverman said:
One more question. . .should any USB keyboard and/ or mouse work with the PS3? Do they just plug into the controller jacks? I'll probably just get one of those PS/2 - USB adaptors since I have various old keyboards and mice floating around anyway. . .
Any USB Keyboard and mouse should work and they do plug into the controller jacks which are just USB ports. You could also use wireless keyboards and mice by plugging the receiver into the controller port. You can use Bluetooth keyboards and mice without having to plug in anything (but they are expensive).

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Thanks!

Hm. . .I'm seeing a lot of negative reviews of that Linksys bundle. . .anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive wireless router for PS3 use?

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Not sure how important thing this is etc, but I found this from the AVSforum and by paidgeek. PS3 is again mentioned in a good light:

"Blu-ray players first manufactured after Spring of this year are required to support BD-RE v3.0 media (AACS enabled) for playback of recordings where copyright has been asserted (e.g. digital broadcast, managed copy from a Blu-ray movie and similar).

These same players may playback authored content from other sources (e.g. home movies) where copyright is not asserted from either BD-RE V3.0 or v2.1 (currently available) media.

An exception was made for players produced before Spring this year such that they may playback authored BD movie content from BD-RE V2.1 media, even though they may not support V3.0 media. ****The PS3 is already fully compliant with the latest requirements.**** Other players may or may not be depending on current firmware revisions.

The simple summary is that a consumer can author their own content as they wish using currently available media and play it back on any player that was released prior to Spring 07' as well as any player released since that time, provided that the player can support BD-RE V3.0 media. If a newer player cannot yet support that media type, then BD-RE 2.1 support can be enabled as soon as firmware allows the player to do so.

The specifications are designed not to inconvenience any customer who wants to author content they own."

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I can't remember if this is the thread where it was asked. . .my PS3 that arrived the other day (directly from Sony) had firmware version 1.51 (or something in that neighborhood). I upgraded to the latest with no issues (got the Buffalo router, and that seems to work fine).

JustinHEMI05

Agent
Real Name
Justin
Hey just a tip looks like Amazon has that IR remote dongle on sale for 10 bucks. Glad I waited because I almost bought it yesterday for 20 :)
Justin

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i did a search on amazon for ir remote dongle but still couldnt find it.
got a link.
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks