What's new

Official Playstation 3 Blu-Ray player Thread (1 Viewer)

Jim Rondeau

Stunt Coordinator
With the recent price drop of the PS3, I've been thinking of picking one up. The main purpose would be for games, but since it appears to be a fine Blue Ray player I figure I could finally give High Def a spin.

I really haven't been following High Def DVD much, but one thing I was under the impression of was that High Def players would only output via HDMI/DVI for copy protection reasons. As I have an older 65" Mitsubishi TV with only component inputs I assumed I was out of luck. It appears though from stuff I've read that the PS3 does output High Def via component.

Just looking for confirmation that I can playback Blue Ray disks via component on the PS3. Also, one thing I thought I saw somewhere was that the output could be disc specific meaning certain titles will allow output via component and others wont. Is this true? Thanks.

DavidUL

Agent
curios as to what settings some of you are using the in video / audio set up of the PS3 ?

i am trying to figure out the difference in RGB and the other cpyb(??)

dave

Eric F

Screenwriter
Romier S said:
Yes, you can.
With one caveat. You will be able to output full resolution Blu-Ray until a software company enables protection on their content (2010?) and then you'll only be able to get 540p output. As it stands now you'll get full 1080i/720p ouput over component. Also, you cannot upscale a DVD over component (which is a shame because it does this really well).

Jim Rondeau

Stunt Coordinator
Eric F said:
With one caveat. You will be able to output full resolution Blu-Ray until a software company enables protection on their content (2010?) and then you'll only be able to get 540p output. As it stands now you'll get full 1080i/720p ouput over component. Also, you cannot upscale a DVD over component (which is a shame because it does this really well).
Thanks for the responses Romier and Eric.
Right now I have a 65" Mits rear projection TV I got back in 2001. Hopefully by 2010 I'll have upgraded so when component output starts being restricted I should be all set.
I'm planning on pulling the trigger on the PS3 today. Sony has a great deal on their Style website where if you get their Sonycard they will credit you $150 with your first purchase of $299 or greater so I'll be able to get it for $349 which is an incredible deal.
One other question. My current receiver isn't HDMI capable. Do I need a receiver with HDMI to take advantage of the higher end audio? Is one with TrueHD/DTS-HD necessary (looking at Onkyo TX-SR605)? Thanks.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Hi, All. I just joined the club last weekend. For DVDs, I'm comparing the PS3 to my Pioneer DV-59AVi. The Pio does a great job upconverting to 1080i, and has very detailed picture settings through HDMI (IRE, color saturation, etc.). My TV is 768p.

The PS3 has the latest firmware and it's upconverting DVDs to 1080p. The TV downscales to 768p.

When I compare, the PS3 image is close, but has a great deal of grain in the picture. I used "Charlie X" from Star Trek as a test disc. Of course, I need to try a few more discs. I don't know if the PS3 is revealing a lot more detail where the Pio smooths it out, or if the PS3 is introducing noise into the image, or if 1080p is not ideal for DVDs.

Any thoughts? How do I set the PS3 to output SD DVDs at 1080i while still outputting BRs at 1080p?

Thanks for reading my long post.

Doug

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
David, how do I do that? In the PS3 settings, you can choose all the various outputs that are supported, but I don't see where to specify that DVDs are output at 720p. Everything (BR, DVD, game) is being output at 1080p.

Thanks,

Doug

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
You'll have to uncheck 1080i and 1080p settings, so 720p is your highest.

not sure how that will affect games though as I don'd have any gaming software.

Real Name
John Parry
DaViD Boulet said:
You'll have to uncheck 1080i and 1080p settings, so 720p is your highest.
not sure how that will affect games though as I don'd have any gaming software.
Something else that is worth remembering is that while watching the DVD press the triangle button on the controller/remote to bring up a menu on the screen, while in there go to AV Settings and have a play with teh Upscale options in there. It won't change the resolution but may improve your picture somewhat.
I hope that helps in some way?

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Evolution-One said:
Yes, it's a Panasonic TH42-PX600U. It quite nicely does its own automatic up/downscaling. It's 768P, so any standard resolution that I input will have to be changed by the TV. I had fun when I first bought it playing around with different settings on the DVD player. I couldn't really tell much difference, but settled on 1080i.
BTW, I also sampled the DVD of the Andromeda Strain last night on the PS3. In particular, there's a shot of a jet with bright but diffuse sun behind it near the beginning. When I first got the TV, the false contouring around the sun really bothered me. Last night, I hardly noticed it. Maybe the PS3 ameliorates this problem as well?
Regards,
Doug

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Jim Rondeau said:
I'm planning on pulling the trigger on the PS3 today. Sony has a great deal on their Style website where if you get their Sonycard they will credit you $150 with your first purchase of $299 or greater so I'll be able to get it for $349 which is an incredible deal.
Holy crap!
Granted, it's a $150 credit towards future purchases, but. . .zowie, that's a great deal!

Jim Rondeau

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron Silverman said:
Holy crap!
Granted, it's a $150 credit towards future purchases, but. . .zowie, that's a great deal!
Actually it's not towards future purchases. They just credit your card $150. So as long as you don't pay it below $150 before the credit (which takes 8-12 weeks) it comes right off the price of the PS3. Plus it's 0% interest for 12 months (and maybe no payments too), so you don't have to worry about accruing interest while carrying the balance.
I ended up doing this deal today. It should ship Friday and take around 4 days to arrive so hopefully I'll have it by next Thursday :)

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Has anyone discovered if the PS3 has disc memory? When I stop a disc, then press Play again, it starts the disc from the beginning (annoying copyright warnings, etc.). Most DVD players will resume the disc in the player. Better yet, I have an older budget Sony DVD player NS755V that would retain your position on up 30 discs even after they've been removed from the player.

Thanks,

Doug

Real Name
John Parry
Doug Otte said:
Has anyone discovered if the PS3 has disc memory? When I stop a disc, then press Play again, it starts the disc from the beginning (annoying copyright warnings, etc.). Most DVD players will resume the disc in the player. Better yet, I have an older budget Sony DVD player NS755V that would retain your position on up 30 discs even after they've been removed from the player.
Thanks,
Doug
Yes it does, it resumes from when it was stopped for me.
Once you have stopped the disc and are back in the XMB, press triangle over the disc and it'll give you options including Play & Play From Beginning.
If I just press play on the disc after stopping it and returning to the XMB then it starts from the point that it was stopped.
I don't know why yours isn't doing it!
Have a look here for details on what you can and can't do: http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...ons/index.html
You can also access than via the PS3:
>Network
>Online Instruction Manual

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Pulled the trigger -- got no payments or interest until 2009 along with the $150 back. Counting tax, I'll be paying about $382 in 14 months. :)
Also will get 4% back for going through ebates.com. :)
Thanks again for posting! Come to think of it, I'm going to copy this to the Coupons & Bargains thread for general consumption.

Joe_G

Second Unit
Does anyone know what firmware update the PS3's are coming with nowadays?

I sold my 20gb and will be buying the 60gb in the next week or two. I'm hoping that they're coming with 1.80 but I'm thinking it's too early for that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks