What's new

Official Playstation 3 Blu-Ray player Thread (1 Viewer)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
July 8, 2007 Sony confirms PS3 price cut and new model.

Today, Sony confirmed to the Associated Press what a fusillade of reports from US retailers had augured last week. As of July 10, the PlayStation 3's North American price point is going south. The next-generation console will cost $499 in the US and $549 in Canada, the same price as the discontinued 20GB model.
The price drop announcement was accompanied by more unexpected news: The 80GB PS3, previously only available in South Korea, is also headed stateside. The larger-capacity system will go on sale in August for $599, and will have all the functionality of the 60GB model. To help stifle complaints that $100 might be a bit much to pay for 20GB more of hard disc space, Sony is bundling the game with the off-road racer MotorStorm, which currently retails for $59.99.
The price drop further indicates that, after a slow start, Sony is now aggressively trying to expand its customer base in the US.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Weird, the page now says July 9. Guess they revised it.
Both dates are earlier than we'd heard before. I guess since some retailers were jumping the gun.
Guess there will be a lot more PS3 owners soon.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Hopefully game announcements at E3 this week is also help them move more units.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
One more question :)
Is there any specific HDMI cable that you would recommend for the PS3? There seem to be a lot to choose from...

Real Name
John Parry
As long as they are well made you'll not really get much of a difference between brands.
Certainly, avoid the $40 cables!!! I'd recommend paying just over $20 to get one which won't fall apart in a month. The official Sony PS3 cable seems to be a well made cable and is about that price!:)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I got mine from blue jean cable. I think I got a 10 footer, more than I needed, but seemed the best value for length. And it will give me flexibility in the future. Really nice cable. Stays in place nicely.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
High margins. Monster has a 50% or more markup. If you can buy them at a reasonable price, they do make a good cable.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Shane Martin said:
High margins. Monster has a 50% or more markup. If you can buy them at a reasonable price, they do make a good cable.
Ha!, good luck finding Monster at a reasonable price--- it's pretty much all price fixed at their retail centers.
Monoprice and Blue Jeans Cable are quality for the money. Also like Outlaw Audio's quality analog audio cables too. Much better prices than comparible Monster Cable.
Not only is Monster completely over priced, their whole business is disreputible with many shady selling practices and very aggressive lawyers that go after the most ridiculous and petty stuff.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
**Update**
So I bought a PS3 from Circuit City (came with another free controller, $50 value!), a DVD remote, HDMI Cable, MLB the Show 2007, and Superman Returns on Blu Ray and...
WOW
Not only is the game I bought superb, but the movie looks fantastic. Tim knows my admiration for that film, and I was severely disappointed with the standard DVD transfer. The clarity on this release is breathtaking and very much what I remember seeing in the theaters. It is almost as if a standard DVD could not handle all the colors that the pallet of S.R. offered.
Great purchase, very happy so far. Thanks to all for the help.

Nimrod

Grip
Real Name
Tony
In best Springsteen voice, "I got the Fever... Ohhh I got the fever" = new gear
Been lurking in this thread for abit... sure the answers are here, can't find them, sorry...
Setup is a Sharp Aqueous TV (HDMI / 1080) and a new Yamaha 5.1 AV receiver, speakers
Question # 1 How to "best" hook up the PS 3
HMDI Cable from the PS-3 to the TV; then an Optical Cable to the AV receiver? Difference? Benefits? Simply use the HDMI cable?
Question # 2
the PS 3's are now 60 gig; how’s if for storing (CD) music, then finding the music that’s stored? (I have allot of CD's)
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Question # 3
What should a HDMI 8’ cable cost (about) from one of the sponsors here cost? I'd like to support the people here, and not the Big "Box Stores"

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Evolution-One said:
Blu-ray players purchased. There is a similar offer with 5 free HD-DVD discs with all HD-DVD discs also.
As to upconverting DVDs...it's fantastic!!!:)
Anyone get the free BR DVDs yet?

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
the PS 3's are now 60 gig; how’s if for storing (CD) music, then finding the music that’s stored? (I have allot of CD's)
Well, that depends on your rip quality. I haven't ripped with the ps3, but it supports upnp for finding other network devices. I have a box running Windows Media connect that holds all of my mp3s, and the ps3 can see that just fine (as can the 360).
As for cables, I ordered an HDMI cable and optical cable from monoprice for 13 bucks shipped, and they work great!
I'm sure it's been asked before, but has anyone found a good remote control solution? I've seen that Amazon has an IR remote (the Nyko blu-wave), but it's only the US store that seems to carry it (not in Canada). I just want something that I can use to program my universal for BR playback.

Bill_Boston

Stunt Coordinator
Quick question about the PS3 (I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on one). My TV has HDMI/DVI inputs capable of 1080i. Am I correct in what I've been reading in that the PS3 has an internal setting that you would need to set to 1080i to mate with the TV? Or, is that a wrong assumption? Thanks!

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
From the xmb... Display Settings > HDMI > Automatic > (it will see max. res. of 1080i) Accept

You can also select 'Custom' instead of 'Auto' and select/deselct resolutions.

Real Name
John Parry
Or just switch it on using the standby switch (front right) but hold it down until the PS3 boots up, it'll auto set all those for you via HDMI.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks