What's new

Official Playstation 3 Blu-Ray player Thread (1 Viewer)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I do wonder though, will the PS3 lose some of its specialness when Blu-ray releases are more commonplace? Right now, it seems like such a special occasion when I fire it up to watch a movie. Kind of like when I fired up the laserdisc player to watch Star Wars or Indiana Jones.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
DaViD Boulet said:
Exactly.
The PS3 offers full audio decoding for Dolby Digital Plus/TrueHD, HDMI 1.3, 1080p24 output for BD, has an incredibly fast load time, upscales DVDs beautifully, and has wireless web connetion so you don't need to run cables to your device to update the firmware. Not bad for $600.
Actually it doesn't do Dolby Digital Plus.
But it does SACD!

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
PeterTHX said:
Actually it doesn't do Dolby Digital Plus.
But it does SACD!
Yeah, aren't many gripes about lack of DD+ decoding right now, seeing as how there aren't any DD+ titles on BD right now.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, aren't many gripes about lack of DD+ decoding right now, seeing as how there aren't any DD+ titles on BD right now.
Dolby Plus will only be used when a title has more than 5.1 channels.
I think there's one...might be a typo though. A music title I think...
I'm surprised Lionsgate hasn't tried it since they seem so keen on remixing everything for EX. They use DTS-HD on those titles, why not Dolby Plus?

rbgrn

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert Green
btw - I finally had a chance to test firmware v1.80 and the PS3 now correctly scales everything to 720p for me! I was so excited!

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
So, as someone who is on the verge of jumping into the HD pool, is this the best Blu Ray player out there in terms of a combination of quality and bang for your buck?

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Hold Fast Bryan! Say NO! :D :)
No, I'm kidding....and I'm about to dive in to BD soon too and be bi-format. :)
The PS3 seems to be a great BD player that probably has the best chance for most future updates via firmware. But the real owners of these in this thread will be more useful to you. Another player that is the same price and comes with 5 bundled in movies is the Panasonic BD player, found here.
Good luck Bryan. :)

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Thanks for the advice Tim, I've really been going back and forth on this for a while now. I just bought my first home, and I figure what better way to make myself feel at home than to upgrade my home theater.
The PS3 would be great because it's a combo player and the games, but my concern is how good it is as an upconverter. Hopefully the folks in this thread will help me out.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Bryan Ri said:
So, as someone who is on the verge of jumping into the HD pool, is this the best Blu Ray player out there in terms of a combination of quality and bang for your buck?
Yes. Not only is the PS3 a very nice Blu-Ray player and upconverting DVD player, but, as far as I know, it is the only Blu-Ray player on the market that will be able to do picture-in-picture and the other interactive features that all Blu-Ray players will have by October.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Gregory Pauswinski said:
Yes. Not only is the PS3 a very nice Blu-Ray player and upconverting DVD player, but, as far as I know, it is the only Blu-Ray player on the market that will be able to do picture-in-picture and the other interactive features that all Blu-Ray players will have by October.
Thanks for the tip Greg, any idea how high up it converts standard dvd?

Real Name
John Parry
The 5 free Blu-ray discs apples to all Blu-ray players purchased. There is a similar offer with 5 free HD-DVD discs with all HD-DVD discs also.
As to upconverting DVDs...it's fantastic!!!:)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Upconversion is excellent. I've retired my Oppo upscaling DVD player which was my favorite conversion player up until the PS3 (though I hear that the Toshiba A2 and the new Sammy BD player are better still).

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
DaViD Boulet said:
Upconversion is excellent. I've retired my Oppo upscaling DVD player which was my favorite conversion player up until the PS3 (though I hear that the Toshiba A2 and the new Sammy BD player are better still).
Also, the Sony boys believe they'll yet be able to achieve like a 35% improvement in the upscaling (not sure if that's the exact figure they used, but it was a range around there).

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Grant,

what are you talking about?

The Toshiba A1 HD DVD player was triumphed as an excellent DVD upscaling player in addition to its HD DVD capability. Sony's new firmware update provides upscaling in the PS3 on-par with the A1. What's the "Sony boys" comment have to do with anything here?

Can we please leave the HD DVD/BD fanboyism out of this and just talk about what we were talking about... upscaling in the PS3???

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
In Grant's defense, what he's talking about is an interview with some Sony engineers last month. They mentioned that they believe they can still improve the PS3's upscalling capabilities in future updates.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Oh, I'm sure it has room for improvement. I just didn't want to see this informative thread descend down a path of Sony-bashing.
Sorry if I pulled the trigger too soon!
dave :)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
DaViD Boulet said:
Oh, I'm sure it has room for improvement. I just didn't want to see this informative thread descend down a path of Sony-bashing.
Sorry if I pulled the trigger too soon!
dave :)
Don't make me throw my PS3 at you, Dave.:laugh:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I totally mis-read that post of yours... DOH!
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks