What's new

Official Playstation 3 Blu-Ray player Thread (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Yep. You were watching in 480p. Set your PS3 to 1080i. When the 720P-scaled-output becomes available, I'm sure you'll hear about it here!
Thanks -- I changed it to 1080i and it did make an improvement in resolution. Funny...if you specify 720p, you would think the system would configure the best picture for that spec. I don't know if I ever would have figured it out on my own.

Jaboo

Auditioning
Real Name
Randy White
Got my PS3 a little over a week ago. Hooked it up to my TX-SR803 with HDMI cables then to my new Mits WD-65732. When I change it to 1080p, the screen goes black and won't display a picture at that mode. I've tried different cables settings all kinds of stuff and nothing works. If I plug the PS3 directly into the TV, 1080p works just fine, but I don't want to lose the audio that the HDMI will give me. Anyone else having issues? The 803 is HDMI 1.1 compliant and it states, or stated on their website that it would do 1080p. Thanks

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Just got my PS3 today. I must say I'm really impressed with the quality of the image and the audio.
A quick question though........I was watching Million Dollar Baby and went to the supplements and everything is stretched. I am assuming this is because the material is 480p, but I'm surprised there isn't a 4:3 flag somewhere on the disc. I have an older TV that locks into "full" on 480p so I've got no option to change the format. Am I just stuck here when it comes to the supplements? This is pretty annoying considering my non-upscaling JVC DVD player doesn't have this problem.
The performance of the feature films is outstanding though.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Guys, I have a small question and I wonder if anyone could give me the answer.
Everytime I pop in a DVD, the film plays fine until I decide to stop playing said DVD. The screen goes automatically green and I can eject the DVD but I can't get back to the XBM unless I actually turn off the system. Playing Playstation 2 and 3 games along with Blu-Ray films, the PS3 is perfect. I just have this one little glitch when stopping DVDs. In all honesty, I'll never use it to play DVDs because I have a HD-A2 but I was curious with the quality of the DVD playback and I noticed this glitch....
Anyone have any ideas on what that's about?

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
I figured out a way around it. Instead of pressing stop on a DVD, all I have to do is hit the PS button and it asks if I want to exit the DVD. And when I do, it takes me back to the XMB and all is good.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Phone Booth is on the way and is the first BD I'll play with a DTS Master Audio track. Over optical I will get the 5.1 core at 1.5 mbps and this is a compressed track that still sounds very nice?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, I tried Kingdom of Heaven which also has a Master Audio track via optical and it sounded great.
Cory S. said:
I figured out a way around it. Instead of pressing stop on a DVD, all I have to do is hit the PS button and it asks if I want to exit the DVD. And when I do, it takes me back to the XMB and all is good.
I guess that is why I've never seen that problem, since I always just use the PS button to go back to the menu or turn off the system when I am done watching.

Joe Cortez

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, so I've got a lot of research under my belt (thanks mostly to this thread) and think I may be ready to pick up a PS3, but, I do have one question that I saw someone raise earlier in the discussion...
BrettB said:
Receiver
Would there be any problems with that?
I'm going to have a similar setup with my PS3, that is connecting the system to my TV through HDMI and passing the digital audio through my monitor's coaxial output to my receiver. My set, one of Mitsubishi's DLP screens from last year, has a built in PCM and DD decorder, however, I want to be sure whether or not this setup will yield full 5.1 PCM (from BD media and SACD), DD and DTS output through my receiever. Any help?

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to have a similar setup with my PS3, that is connecting the system to my TV through HDMI and passing the digital audio through my monitor's coaxial output to my receiver. My set, one of Mitsubishi's DLP screens from last year, has a built in PCM and DD decorder, however, I want to be sure whether or not this setup will yield full 5.1 PCM (from BD media and SACD), DD and DTS output through my receiever. Any help?
Ummm, say again? :eek:

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Joe Cortez said:
Okay, so I've got a lot of research under my belt (thanks mostly to this thread) and think I may be ready to pick up a PS3, but, I do have one question that I saw someone raise earlier in the discussion...
I don't think coax has the bandwidth to pass the full PCM signal too the receiver. I believe that can only be done over 5.1analog or HDMI. All others are downmixed.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
coax SPDIF only supports 2.0 digital audio in PCM form (up to 24/192).

to get full 5.1 PCM you'll need HDMI (1.1 or higher).

Or you can run analog multi-channel if your player and receiver are equipped.

Right now I downmix all my BD PCM lossless streams to 2.0 over SPDIF (optical) while I wait to upgrade to an HDMI receiver.

If you're asking if you can run HDMI to your dispay sending audio as well, and then HDMI from your display to your receiver, that should work as long as your dipslay isn't doing anything that it shouldn't.

Joe Cortez

Stunt Coordinator
DaViD Boulet said:
coax SPDIF only supports 2.0 digital audio in PCM form (up to 24/192).
to get full 5.1 PCM you'll need HDMI (1.1 or higher).
That's the answer I was looking for, thanks DaViD. Sorry if I made you pop your monocle, Peter.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
The PS3 does not have multichannel analog outs, so 2ch PCM is what you will be limited to.

Correct. My comments were regards to BD in general, as other players (like the Panasonic) do offer mutlichannel output via analog. That's an omission on the PS3. The PS3 compensates by future-proofing with HDMI 1.3 for deep color and native streaming of advanced audio bitstreams.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I have a question that also relates to the Toshiba HD A1 too but since I saw some posts here with similar issues....here ya go. :)
DaVid's projector is 720p. My monitor is as well. Sometime later this year, I'll most likely get back in the PJ game. Once you have one...it's REALLY hard to go smaller.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
There's no way I can afford a 1080p model even if they come down to around $2500 which is rumored by the late fall.
So, how is the resolution handled by the HD players? Right now I have my A1 set to 1080i. Looks rather fabulous actually. When I read about the PS3's upconversion issues it just really confused me.
I could me in the market for a PS3 sometime later this spring and wanted some clarification on how it resolves the resolution issue. Obviously the reviews are stellar for it's image so I shouldn't worry. But those guys may have 1080p or 1080i monitors. I don't and won't for another 2-3 years more than likely.
Thanks for any light on this issue. :)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
With the PS3 you want to set it to 1080i output. Depending on the monitor or projector, it may even accept a 1080p signal if you select that output. Then the TV will downconvert from there to 720p.
If you set the PS3 to 720p, however, you will get 480p instead. This may be fixable via a later firmware (much like the hoped for DTS MA decoding). I keep hearing that March is when Sony will start pulling out the big gun updates, supposedly: DTS MA decoding (to go along with Dolby TrueHD already there), 1080p/24 output, better DSD to PCM conversion (multi-channel DSD to 24 bit/192 kHz rather than 24 bit/88.2 kHz now), perhaps a fix for BTB and WTW video levels and/or DVD upconversion, etc. It does make some sense since that's about when the European release will launch, and they've hinted at improved feature sets when they arrive there.
Dan

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Yep. Output 1080i to your 720P set for now.

I'd try it both ways with your Toshiba A1 as well and see what looks better.

Since the A1 doesn't have internal 3-2 pulldown for 1080 sources, it's probably dropping the 1080i to 540p and "bobbing" to 720p for 720 output. That's what my PJ does with 1080i input. One device may do a slightly better job so try it both ways with your A1.

But for the PS3, for now, run 1080i until they get their firmware fix. At that time, running 720P out will be better bcs the PS3 will downscale to 720P directly from the 1080p source frame data (ie, no bobbing)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks