What's new

***Official "PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I haven't seen the film yet, but the very first movie I saw in a theater was Indy and the Temple of Doom. I was perhaps 7-9 years old. It scared the crap out of me, for a long time I thought it was a horror movie.
I was only 1 when this movie came out so I saw it on video probably when I was 7-9 as well, and I remember commenting to a librarian that it should've been rated R. I don't think I even finished the movie, not because I was freaked out I think, but I think it was past my bedtime by the time the last third or quarter of the movie started, and I never got around to finishing it until at least a few years later. Guess how much I liked the movie? :)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I assume the curse comes from reaching into the trunk and taking the gold (makes sense since the girl wasn't cursed).
Remember, Depp does take specifically from the chest and then puts all the coins back but one. He implies that he actually had to keep a coin he took from the chest, so I suppose you could dig into the coins as long as you put them right back in.

I assume that Will's dad took a coin that had already been taken by a pirate which is why he wasn't cursed. Again, the only thing that seems wrong with the concept is that the chest/curse would demand his blood as appeasement as well, and that the pirates would know this.

But who cares, they need his blood, I'll go with that.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Actually, one of the pirates stated that they didn't know needed Will's father's blood to lift the curse until after they killed him.

Crawdaddy

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Fellas, not to be a pedantic a-hole, but as someone who lives on its shores, let me mention that it's called the Caribbean (one r, and a double-b), not Carribean (double-r, one b)

Ok, I AM a pedantic a-hole :D

todd stone

Screenwriter
they pretty much hit the nail on the head with all Pirate cliche's except one:

they had:

parrot on a shoulder

wooden fake eye

walking the plank

rum

arrrrrrrr

scallywag term

they didn't have:

a pirate with a pegleg

pirate with a black patch over eye?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This film had one of the longest film credits I ever had to sit through just to watch the last sequence with the monkey. Anyhow, I was wondering if there is more to the sequence then just the monkey swimming inside to the treasure and picking up one of those coins and turning into the walking dead again?

Crawdaddy

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
Crawdaddy

The last tidbit leads to the possibility of :

Rush not being dead, merely wounded and being brought back by the monkey putting a coin in his hand, or something like that

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
So moonlight through water is strong enough to get the cursed pirates to go into skeleton crew mode?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Patrick,
They're always in the skeleton crew mode, just that people can't see them in that mode unless they're under the light from the moon.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
The curse was indeed the biggest plot hole of the movie. That led to my review comment of believing there was an expository backstory that was cut out due to time constraints. Something was missing.

Although ILM (and other farm-out facilities) did a pretty good job this time with the CGI elements (much, much better than their own work on the in-house Star Wars universe IMHO), it could have been a bit better. They only had two months to do post production work!! This film went right down to the wire to be finished by its street date, again giving me the inkling that there's more "flesh" to this movie than what we got at the theater.

I want a director's cut, Disney! :D

Dan

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Is it just me, the main actress looked very similar to "Natalie Portman" during her close up scenes?
Apparently quite a few people feel that way, considering Keira Knightley's role in The Phantom Menace. Reportedly, when both Natalie and Keira were in full make-up, their parents couldn't tell them apart.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
So if a human were underwater with the cursed pirates, the moonlight was strong enough to reveal their boney nature?

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Does anybody remember exactly Jack's closing words? I can't remember them, but I know I liked them, however contradictory that sounds.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Like some others, i came into the theater w/low expectations - the idea of a movie based on a theme park ride (even a classic theme park ride) seemed cheesy, and the trailers had 'bomb' written all over them (kind of like Kill Bill).

But like many others, i was pleasantly surprised. The action was fast-paced, the effects had the requisite 'wow' factor, and the performances were good all around, and in Depp's case excellent.

Not often that the *acting* carries a 150m bruckheimer action/effects bonanza, but it happened with "pirates"...

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
and the trailers had 'bomb' written all over them (kind of like Kill Bill)
I'm sorry, but the trailer for Kill Bill is excelent. Whether the movie is good or not is another story.

As for this film, I had some apprehention until I started seeing trailers and I started getting sold on it.

The movie itself is probably one of the best summer movies I've seen in years. This movie remembers one of the things most summer movies forget, fun. Most try to blow you away with spectacle. This film just goes out and be fun. On top of that is great acting, and an actually plot that more or less makes sense. Yeah, there are some holes here and there, but for the most part it works.

Jason

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
But Keira is a much better actress, and more ravishing to boot. But yes, they look alike ;)

A second viewing, and the film held up remarkably well. Some parts were even more charming. Many, many kudos to the writing team. Their efforts helped the whole movie to shine.

Take care,
Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks