What's new

*** Official PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: Dead Man's Chest Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Brenda M

Stunt Coordinator

I always sit through the credits and can't understand why everyone else doesn't (unless they need to visit the restroom). You can: listen to the music without all that dialoge and sound effects in the way, appreciate all the people that it takes to make a movie, wait till the crowd gets out of the theater and parking lot, and catch any extra thing that might be at the end (even Darth Vader breathing).

I just watched the first movie again and think it holds up well on repeated viewings. Dead Man's Chest is really just the first part of a movie. I hope that the next will come together and make the 2 & 3 together a great movie.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Highlights for me were:

Keira Knightley in that dress. :)

3-way sword fight and the fight on top of the runaway mill wheel.

Jack-ka-bob and Jack running with all of the food still on the stick.

The callback to the first movie with the prostitue slapping Will when he asked if she knew where Jack was.

Elizabeth turning the swords around and stabbing the guys behind her. I almost cheered out loud.

The CGI, especially Davy Jones.

The tall skinny dumb pirate that used all of the big words during the three way sword fight cracked me up.

Of course, seeing Barbosa at the end was cool.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Ah, but they didn't know that. They were operating on the lie Elizabeth told them that Jack "volunteered" to go down with the ship. In their eyes, he was a hero for scarificing himself for them.

MikeRS

Screenwriter
I haven't seen the film yet, but Davy Jones does look amazing in these stills.

Can't wait to see him fully animated.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
This is one movie were you didn't need the credits to hear the music because of how overpowering and loud it was during the film. Sorry for the little rant, I'm just tried of Zimmer's copy & paste approach to his scores these days. He really has lost his creative touch more so then Horner.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

You know, one thing I was pretty pleased with was that DMC did feel pretty satisfying as a standalone film. But I really wish they had resolved the whole Davy Jones situation. With Barborossa back and Jack exiled to whatever World's End is, it feels like there is plenty on the plate for Pirates 3 already. Davey Jones was neat and all, but I would prefer a new villain for Pirates 3.

James@R

Second Unit

I agree. I didn't mind the actual cliffhanger, but felt leaving the other plot threads open took away from the film's enjoyment a bit.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Loved it. I'm going again tonight, and I can't wait.

Thought the three-person swordfight was incredible, and well worth the ticket price by itself. I'm trying to think whether I have ever seen a swordfight like that before - three people, each fighting the other two as individuals - and I don't think I can. Great fight, and very funny as well.

The CGI on Davy Jones and the crew was astonishing. Really great work there. The only scene in the entire film that I can think of where I was offput by the effects was in the shot where the Kraken rose behind Jack - rather poor compositing there.

I thought the film developed the characters nicely. While Depp is obviously the star of the films, I really liked that each of the three leads were given their own plot line and opporunities to develop. I thought Chad's analysis of Elizabeth's development was bang-on - about how she used to romanticise pirates, but is now confronted with the reality and the selfishness of the lifestyle. It's really quite fascinating.

I'm surprised by the number of people that want the native scene cut. Yes, it was unnecessary to the actual story, but damn if it wasn't a great scene and a hell of a lot of fun.

It was a good cliffhanger ending, while still feeling like a satisfying film. I do wonder whether they should have ended the film before the trip to the voodoo shack - that scene was quite obviously setting up for the sequel. But end before that scene and it would work perfectly well as a film. (Of course, by not having that final scene, people may think Depp won't be in the third film, and may decide not to see it, so to that extent I guess it was necessary.)

I absolutely agree. Simply stunning. I loved the way is really highlighted the Disneyland Castle - a nice reminder that this isn't a Disney movie, but a Disneyland movie.

James@R

Second Unit

I noticed this as well, but actually kind've enjoyed it. (Probably because it looked a little 'old school'. :) )

Kevin Ley

Auditioning
Just got back from the movie. I'd have to say my feelings are mixed as well.

First the bad; I felt the movie had an overly-long "feel" to it. Films in the past have managed similar running times, and yet had that "aw it's over already" feel to it. This was not one of those films.

I agree with people's comments on the runtime. It seemed to go on far to long with unnecessary scenes. The callback moments were far to prevalent, there were too many reused jokes from the first film that were only funny for those who saw it. A sequel, like any film, should run on it's own steam.

Well, the second half WAS a lot of fun. The choreography and fight scenes were all exciting and once things got off the ground, I found myself interested in the plot. I was surprised by the cliffhanger ending.

One thing that some of my friends and I agree with is that Will and Elizabeth and their story should have ended in the first film. Everyone agrees that Jack Sparrow was by far the most popular character and the movies would not have succeeded without him. I can't say the same for the rest of the cast of characters. I guess I thought it would have been cool for the "pirates" films to be centered all about Jack Sparrow and his adventures; just like the Indiana Jones films had Jones as the only reoccurring character.

I liked Jack and Will's relationship in the first film. All of the characters had good chemistry; and yet, I only thought of everyone else as supporting cast and Jack being the lead. I would have been happy with DMC having some new, colorful supporting characters for Jack to annoy. DMC could have been easily done without the others, but not without Jack.

I'd like to know what the rest of you think of that.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

It was neat but would have worked better as an immediately after the credits action scene like the Indy films. One of the advantages of a sequel is that there should be far less need for introductions at the outset. We could have jumped right into some swashbuckling with our leads almost from the first frame. Instead we gets lots of time devoted to expostion showing us where are characters are now which is, quite frankly, not very interesting. Has Will given up being a blacksmith, is he going to take up privateering, or perhaps a captain of a ship now? Don't know- the film only bothers to tell us that he was about to marry Elizabeth which was obvious from the end of the first film. Hell, it felt like an hour before the chief villain of the piece even made an onscreen appearance.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I went to a 10am showing this morning and the theater was pretty full.

I was a little PO'ed at the cannibal scene that the dog got left behind. I'm glad I stayed till the end of the credits. :)

Chris Harvey

Second Unit
Interesting that many here are mixed on it, especially those that loved the first PIRATES.

I didn't much care for the original -- it was okay, but dragged and I thought the third act fell apart -- but I *loved* this one. Sure, you could tweak and trim a bit and probably shave 5-10 minutes, but I felt the script was far stronger structurally this time around, and the film and those involved felt more relaxed, looser, and off-the-cuff. It also helped that there was a great deal of ingenuity put into the set-pieces -- one of my quibbles from the first film is that there really weren't that many memorable and truly unique action scenes (the blacksmith shop fight and the Jack/Barbossa fight being the only ones above average). The action scenes in PIRATES 2 were like old-fashioned Tex Avery or Chuck Jones cartoons -- the lack of reality, IMHO, relieved them from hewing to the standard stuff you see in period action films and opened up a whole realm of wild and fun possibilities.

Tremendous work by ILM too -- I hope this finally garners them their first Oscar of the 21st century.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
FINALLY someone gives Industrial Light & Magic their props. Post after post of people going "the CGI was great" without mentioning who did the labor.

Thanks Chris Harvey for caring! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks