What's new

*** Official PETER PAN Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
This movie will be considered a bomb and it's not fair. How can such a good movie bomb so badly while CITH has made so much? It's not fair at all.
Because everywhere you turned you saw CITH merchandising, yet you hardly see anything for PP.

Chris

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I'm sure it has. I read numerous reviews that used the words "sensuous," "sensual," or "sexual" to describe some of the themes of the film. Most parents will avoid subjecting their young children to sexual subject matter if they have advance knowledge of such (like with these reviews). Then again, others will take their 7-year-old sons to Hooters so who knows?

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I caught this movie yesterday...not a bad movie at all! It's decent enough. However, I don't think it has good rewatch value, unlike movies like Labyrinth or Finding Nemo (which are like crack for kids!).

I managed to enjoy it despite an idiot couple sitting at the front row practically YELLING at the screen, heckling the movie. I feel very sorry for the little girl who is probably their daughter. Even she got mad enough to tell them to shush.

Luckily for the rest of the audience, I was there to tell them to shut the **** up a few times (and the "man" turned around and yelled obscenities at me...good show sport!). They left the theater on each of those occasions, probably to go visit the nearby arcade, leaving us in peace.

I still find it amazing that, while people around me are grumbling and moaning about the couple up front, they did absolutely nothing about it.

Oh yeah, the projection was out of focus too. I told the staff, and they did their best to make it less fuzzy than usual.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Can somebody help me identify a piece of music used in the film's trailer? I'd really like to know the source of the music when Pan and the children are first flying out of the bedroom. I'm pretty sure it's not music from the movie itself.

For those of you who haven't seen or don't remember the full trailer, it is available here in Quicktime and WMP versions:
http://www.peterpanmovie.net/

Thanks in Advance!
-Lyle J.P.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I have just been to see Peter Pan, and I loved it. It's been years since I read the books, so I couldn't really comment on their accuracy, but it just felt right. I loved the characters. The children were incredible, there was not a single moment when I was taken out of the film by a piece of bad child acting, which was good. I think the film showed a real love for the story, which was good.

I liked the fact that the film felt like there was real danger, it wasn't just fun. The mermaids in particular come to mind.

The criticisms of the film are frankly absurd. It's not sexual, or anything close to it. It's just kids, about to go through puberty, developing an non-sexual but strange interest in someone of the opposite sex. It was normal, and natural, and right for the film. As Roger Ebert said, it's in the story, it's just that everyone else tries to pretend it's not. Wendy asking if she can give Peter a kiss, Tinkerbell's jealousy, what do people think this was about? To be honest, people who try to take these elements out of the story are guilty of trying to stop children from growing up, the very thing that the story is against.

Anyway, it was a really good film. I adored the film's design, thought it was incredibbly beautiful. I was so glad they didn't try to include any modern elements in the story (shudders as he thinks of the skateboarding Lost Boys in Hook). Effects work was pretty good, on the whole, although some of the flying was a bit off. I didn't really care too much for the Aunt - I couldn't see that she actually added anything to the story, and indeed she took away from the father. Tinkerbell bothered me, as she bothered a lot of people apparently. She didn't seem right sopmehow, overplayed I think (though how you could underplay a role like that, I don't know.) Flying Hook was a bit silly (I don't remember it being in the book), but it wasn't an offensive change, and it was fun hearing Hook's happy thoughts.

I really enjoyed it, and would recommend it to others.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I agree completely with Matt. This film was wonderful.

People crying foul over sensuality/sexuality should take their overdetermining pens and shove them towards a body part dealing with those issues. The romance in peter pan is touching and magical. It's not about sex, it's about romance, and there's a massive difference (though considering every show/movie today seems to think that every couple should have at least one bedroom scene, it's no wonder).

The things in this film are about a children's perception of the way things SHOULD be before we're educated and enlightened to the 'truth'. This is a film about what children believe to be true. Clouds are for laying and bouncing on. a kiss from a girl turns you bright red and lends you immense strength. in Pan's case, a kiss can turn defeat and death into victory and survival.

Come on folks, this is Princess Bride stuff, Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles... [okay so substitute the monsters for mermaids, but it's close!]

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
Lyle, I believe you are referring to a song by the band Coldplay called "Clocks" off of their latest CD called "A Rush of Blood to the Head". It starts off with tinkling piano and then gradually grows more dynamic, right? A great song, and a great disc.

Just saw this over the weekend, and I really liked it a lot. Jason Isaacs is by far the best Captain Hook ever put on celluloid, as I thought he would be when I first heard about this film. Someone mentioned the visuals looked like something from Disney, but I liked how they stylized everything in Neverland, making all the objects just ooze atmosphere. The castle was dark and forboding, the clouds were puffy and pink, and I liked how the weather conformed to Pan's moods since he is really the "creator" of Neverland.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I thought the film was pretty good, but I think that there were some things that could've been developed better. As a result of underdevelopment, I didn't care for the characters as much as I would've had I gotten to know them better somehow. Perhaps if I read the book, it may give me a better idea of what the movie was all about. Yes, I've read all the posts in here to see that a lot of the story is about what kids believe and putting it in there, but I think I'm just missing something that I might see after I read the book. I'm really shocked that this didn't do better at the box office. If it takes merchandise to sell a movie...:rolleyes:Shouldn't the movie sell the merchandise?

Great glavin in a Glad bag, Olivia Williams looked stunning as Mrs. Darling.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Great glavin in a Glad bag, Olivia Williams looked stunning as Mrs. Darling.
Olivia Williams always looks stunning, in any film.

The other great thing - the Indians seemed like the stereotypical Indians. I was worried that they might be made more PC, but when Tiger Lily appeared, all fears of this went. Which was good, because these were not Native Americans, these were Neverland Indians.

I also loved the repair of the teddy bear. In a world created by a child, it seems right that a tribe of Indians should treat the repair of a teddy bear with such reverence and ceremony.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks