*** Official PAYCHECK Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Robert Crawford, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Paycheck" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Paycheck" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

So... anyone know why Michael's memories are in third person? [​IMG]

3. Bill MacAdoo

Bill MacAdoo Stunt Coordinator

They're memories of him watching the future... [​IMG]

The plothole that got me was that Michael should have had no problem remembering who Rachel was, since he met her long before the "marker" was implanted. The whole restaurant scene where she swoops in to save him shouldn't have been necessay, since he should have obviously seen that "Maya" was an imposter.

4. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

There is also the big plothole of how he figures out which items are necessary. You can only know what is needed through trial and error because his timeline originally stopped in the FBI offices. He couldn't have known that he would be involved in a BMW bike chase unless he had already sent the glasses and cigarettes. But they all came in one envelope, so he would have had to know exactly what was needed all at once even though he couldn't see the results.

Unless of course the machine could pick up his intentions to send things. Like, "I intend to send the glasses and cigarettes...okay, now I'm going to need to see Uma, better intend to leave a message...okay, chase scene, must intend to set up transporation...".

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Quote:
    The whole restaurant scene where she swoops in to save him shouldn't have been necessay, since he should have obviously seen that "Maya" was an imposter. Considering the relatively little time he'd spent with her, "Maya" was sufficiently resembled Rachel so as to fool him. When she blinked and the original eye color was revealed under the blue, he was on to her.
    Quote:
    There is also the big plothole of how he figures out which items are necessary. You can only know what is needed through trial and error because his timeline originally stopped in the FBI offices. He couldn't have known that he would be involved in a BMW bike chase unless he had already sent the glasses and cigarettes. But they all came in one envelope, so he would have had to know exactly what was needed all at once even though he couldn't see the results. I figured that it was Bill & Ted style. As soon he acquired the items and intended to use them, he saw the future that would result. Over the "all nighter at the office", he probably kept subsituting items until he predestined the desired result.

I quite liked it, sort of a dumbed down Minority Report, only instead of the protagonist deciphering his future he was deciphering his past and trusting that his past would guide him to the desired future.

6. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

As an engineering student I find the trailer for this movie highly amusing - especially the dramatically delivered line: "Michael Jennings is not a super agent - he is an ENGINEER!!!" [​IMG]
    Besides, the premise for the movie is highly ridiculous - I don't think this movie is meant for people who know how things get developed... [​IMG]

7. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I rather liked this one, it's not perfect, but I bought into it and had lots of fun. I am rather surprised at the beating this movie took.

Quote:
    I quite liked it, sort of a dumbed down Minority Report, only instead of the protagonist deciphering his future he was deciphering his past and trusting that his past would guide him to the desired future. I was stuck in Minority Report mode for a long time (i.e., inevitability of the future) and was completely thrown off when his vision of the shooting at the end didn't happen. I was swearing "Inconsistency! Cheating!" until the g/f made me realize what I highlighted above.

--
    H

8. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

The thing that bugged me about this movie is who uses liquid hydrogen for a coolant? Liquid nitrogen is every bit as cold and is cheaper and much safer.

9. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Not in the future Dan. Liquid nitrogen in the future is pretty scarce. And don't forget the stablizing agent they developed for the transport and storage of hydrogen.

[​IMG]

Woo's direction, the score, and Affleck's acting were all pretty dull and made the film a big blah for me. But I did find the idea of the ultimate NDA (by memory wipe) to be pretty interesting. Sometimes it really does feel like companies would love to be able to do that to you.

10. Chris Dias

Chris Dias Stunt Coordinator

Chris
    Quote:
    The thing that bugged me about this movie is who uses liquid hydrogen for a coolant? Liquid nitrogen is every bit as cold and is cheaper and much safer.

There are lots of applications in today's world that use Liquid Hydrogen becuase despite what you said, it is much colder that Nitrogen. Lots of Superconduction experiments and Quantum Interference Devices for example use Hydrogen.

Sure the movie had plot holes, but this certainly wasn't one of them.

Chris

11. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I was misremembering the freezing point of Nitrogen. It's 63.14K and Hydrogen is 14.025K, so you can get it about 4 times colder. I can see how this would be useful.