What's new

*** Official PARANORMAL ACTIVITY Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone seen this movie yet? People are saying its one of the scariest movies of all time. It was made for 11k and shot similar to "Blair Witch Project".

Here is the trailer.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
There's a big hype around it but when it comes to horror and hype, there will eventually be a major backlash against it. I'm curious to see it even though I read a story a couple nights ago where the filmmakers are claiming fifty people left a screening in NYC because they were so scared. I'm not buying the publicity but I do look forward to seeing it.

You mentioned THE BLAIR WITCH but that's the perfect example and we can all see how horror fans treat that film today.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott

There's a big hype around it but when it comes to horror and hype, there will eventually be a major backlash against it.
Yep. There's always a vocal minority in horror fans (a group that I proudly count myself among) that are really bitchy and hate everything that's popular or has some internet hype behind it.

I really don't know anything about this movie and I kind of tune out the hype so I'm looking forward to seeing it when/if it gets a wider release.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I too consider BLAIR WITCH a masterpiece but more often than not I'm left disappointed with all the hyped films. I don't pay attention to the hype and quite often I'm not even aware of the hype but for some reason, after seeing the film, I leave being disappointed. I hope this opens somewhere around me but the marketing ploy is going to cause a big backlash no matter how great it is, which is a downside of the fan base and why so many are overlooked.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I know what you mean. I try to ignore hype because the films usually don't live up to it but occasionally one will come along and excite me. That has more to do with the plot sounding right up my alley though as opposed to listening to the hype. Self-hype, if you will. Things like Inside, The Descent and Shaun of the Dead were hyped to the moon, but I found hardly anything to like in any of them. As for this film's marketing ploy, I'm not particularly fond of it myself, especially in regards to the release strategy.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott

There's a big hype around it but when it comes to horror and hype, there will eventually be a major backlash against it. I'm curious to see it even though I read a story a couple nights ago where the filmmakers are claiming fifty people left a screening in NYC because they were so scared. I'm not buying the publicity but I do look forward to seeing it.

You mentioned THE BLAIR WITCH but that's the perfect example and we can all see how horror fans treat that film today.
It looks exactly like Blair Witch, just indoors. And while Blair Witch was masterfully promoted the film it self was terrible. This looks to be just like that.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
So, I was doing my weekly look through nearby theater schedules, and this is being released in Arlington this weekend on an all day rotation. That's much closer than Dallas and without the headache of a midnight showing. Go figure, but at least it appears to finally be expanding.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I thought Blair Witch was one of the worst, most overhyped films I've ever seen, so if this is in the same vein (as it looks to be), I'd have zero interest in it.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Todd, in the second ending

after killing Micah, Katie sits and rocks back and forth by the bed for several days. Her friend is eventually heard coming in to look for her. Katie goes down, kills her, comes back by the bed for a few more days and is finally shot by investigating police when she approaches them with the knife.

The original ending has
Katie come back into the room after killing Micah and shortly slitting her own throat afterwards.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Bumping this up as the spoilers are showing through on the main page. I guess the hidden factor doesn't hide them from the main page.

It appears the thing is playing all around me. So much for the "we must get 1,000,000" votes scheme.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
only in 159 theaters nationwide this weekend and manages to make more than 2 million on friday alone!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Paranormal Activity". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Paranormal Activity" should be posted to the
[COLOR= #44708c]Official Review Thread[/COLOR].

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
There must be more than 2 endings as what we saw tonight was different from either of the ones Justin mentioned.

Katie kills Micah and then looks into the camera. As she approaches it her face becomes demonic and the camera cuts off. There is a blurb after that saying police found Micah's body the next day but that Katie's whereabouts are still unknown.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
There are indeed three endings. The two that I posted are the alternates, including the film's superior original ending. In the one we got, I didn't care for the face morphing and attacking the camera. Everything up to that point worked for me.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
saw it fri. night and loved it. Packed house, 42nd st. audience was totally into it and screaming quite a bit. Lots of fun. What you don't see is 100X scarier than what you do imho...

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Saw it last night with my wife and two friends. Our theatre was packed with a full house and everyone was getting into it, and I have to say that I got freaked out and felt fear and dread several times during this movie - and I'm someone who never really gets "scared" when watching horror films, and I personally do not even believe in the existence of ghosts or demons. There isn't anything in the way of story or plot here, but that's not the point ... the goal is to scare you, and the film certainly made good on that goal.

I think it's much to this movie's credit that the simplest means of scare tactics are the very best, and this low, low-budgeted film - with no blow-away makeup or CGI effects, no dazzling camera work (the scariest parts come with the camcorder completely still in one frame at night), and only a cast of two or three people, can be more effective than the most action-packed multi-million dollar blockbusters. You have to know HOW to make a subtle scary film where less is more, and this certainly accomplished that. It is a complete slap in the face to bloated Hollywood that an amateur project like this can trump all "traditional" horror movies of the last couple of decades when it comes to producing scares.

I thought I was getting tired of the "shot on home video" genre after THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT and CLOVERFIELD (both good films, I thought) but I'm wondering if the success of PARANORMAL ACTIVITY will keep revitalizing this approach. The technique is very strong in capturing the "reality" feel of a horrific situation.

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
I saw PA this past weekend. I really like it we had a packed house with everyone screaming and having a good time. I have just a couple of comments.

1. All the previews give away too much. If you want a truely terrifyling experience go into the theater completely unaware what the movie is about.

2. I think this is the type of movie that is most effective at a theater during Halloween with a pack house of people that also havent seen it.

3. After reading about the original ending I wish they would have stuck with it. The orignal would have been much more effective. The one used in the movie is good, but to me it was the only time that i felt like I was watching a Hollywood movie. It spoiled the climax just a little.

Dennis Castro

Second Unit
Everything was well done. I found it more funny than anything else. I didn't find one thing scary at all. There were a couple of scenes that were a bit creepy but that's about it. Basically I've been more creeped out watching a episode of Ghost Hunters.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Mark Leiter

1. All the previews give away too much. If you want a truly terrifying experience go into the theater completely unaware what the movie is about.
Really? Most of the previews I've seen mostly show only night-vision shots of theater audiences jumping in their seats.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks