What's new

*** Official "PANIC ROOM" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Scott,
That makes me very happy! I guess you deserve something nice for sitting through Rollerball and the upcoming Scorpion King for us;)
Take care,
Chuck

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Chuck - To be completely honest, I still haven't seen Rollerball yet. I have however seen Slackers, Snow Dogs, Dragonfly and a whole slew of others. I bet I like Rollerball compared to these ones! :D
Nick - As a massive devotee of both Se7en and Fight Club, I'll tell you this:
Panic Room is a straight thriller.
Please don't construe that last statement as a criticism. ;)
And it's not that I can't say anything...
It's that I won't. :)

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Oh god Scott, your killing me. :)
When will you be posting your review?
Judging by your comments we don't have another Alien3 on our hands either :)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Nick-
In almost all cases, I'm not allowed to post my review until the day before the movie comes out. Certain press critics (Peter Travers at Rolling Stone, for example), press junketeers, and most TV critics are allowed (since early "blurbs" are a big part of movie marketing), but the more "grass roots" critics are asked to wait. (You'll probably note that your local newspaper critics - as well as Roger Ebert himself - don't publicize their reviews until a movie's opening day.)
Since the studios and publicity firms are kind enough to invite a measly ol' "internet critic" to the screenings, I'll gladly honor their request!
I'm not trying to "tantalize" anyone, so let's not allow this thread to devolve into questions about the movie. I refuse to divulge absolutely anything that could be seen as a spoiler, and I know full well how delicious "movie anticipation" can be.
Suffice to say that I quite enjoyed it, and I hope you all will also. Nobody sees Fincher quite the same way, so it will be very interesting to see the various reactions to Panic Room.
Hey look at it this way: You can see Resident Evil in the meantime! :)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
An interesting twist on the adverts for the film, I saw a TV trailer that mentioned (only) "from the director of Fight Club".
How about that...with Jodie Foster and Se7en on the resume they go with FC! I took that to mean that the studio thinks they might have a target audience with that same group.
Funny because the trailers make me see it more like a straight thriller (which Scott confirms) which would seem to make both Se7en and The Game closer matches.
It's just funny that FC has climbed the ranks so well since theatrical release that it's used to push another film. Usually films that disappointed at the BO don't get that chance.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Seth,

I noticed the same thing on the poster's over here as well. I think Fight Club has definately found its audience at home, and these days it is getting hard to find people who haven't heard of it.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Sorry I haven't visited in a while:D I fully expected a straight thriller, Scott, so I am none-too-surprised. Believe it or not, that could be very helpful to DF. I am quite happy to see that they use FC for promotional purposes. It just shows that the end-all and be-all of a movie's success is not the Box-Office receipts. Interesting to listen to the "Stars" commentary on FC where they discuss the lackluster reaction to the film...they didn't know the DVD would kick in a lot of doors as well. Well, there is a lot to see this weekend, between Death To Smoochy, LOTR (TTT footage), and Panic Room. But PR is my Friday film, and I am very excited.
Take care,
Chuck

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Panic Room". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
All HTF member film reviews of "Panic Room" should be posted to this thread.
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Hi all! For those interested, my review is available here.
Or here's the short version:
Panic Room - 1/2 (out of five)
I'm seeing it again tonight. :)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Yeah, I must avoid all reviews as well until I see this film. I keep hearing good things, but that's expected;) I'll check out Scott's review as soon as I've seen it.
Talk to you soon:D
Chuck

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Pitt makes me want to run screaming through he** with a gasoline suit.:D Nuff said about that. Anyway, I've been sort of passive about this film. It doesn't look bad, but I just haven't goten really interested in it. Although, my trek to the movies has been an extremely slow one this year, having only seen 3 films. My local paper gave it a C-. So I might have to panss on this one. Not sure just yet.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Well, I don't give my paper much credence on deciding which films I see. I just threw that out there to give their rating. I'm might not see it because I've been sort of cold on this film. As for my paper, the Atlanta Journal & Constitution is pretty good with reviews, but some time they're off in my opinion.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I intend to see this film but I haven't read any glowing reviews yet(except of course our own Scott Weinberg's review:)) You wouldn't steer me wrong would ya Scott? :D
I don't let critics opinions sway me anyway. I'll be seeing it tommorow night.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The audience I saw this film was totally into the film. They laughed at the right spots, and gasped at the right times as well.
It's a very dark humor film (I was LOL in many places). True, the plot does have a "Home Along" quality to it, and the daughter does even look a little like Macauley Culkin. :)
It's not a great film, but fun to see high caliber actors in B-movie vehicles. They add a polish to the film that B-actors can't provide.
Finch's camera does go nuts in the 1st half of the film while going all over the house, up and down, all around through fancy zooms and pull backs. Some of the style got a little heavy, but still fun to watch and take in as a film-making exercise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks