What's new

*** Official "PANIC ROOM" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Al_S

Second Unit
I saw this movie last weekend and thought they made a major mistake in the first half of the movie by killing the best character in the movie. The second half wasn't nearly as good as the first half. I was also confused because I thought it was going to be a thriller and actually found it kind of funny. I think this movie could have been a much better movie with better writing.

RogerB

Second Unit
I don't have the medical knowledge to know if this would work, but after the daughter was given her shot and recovered somewhat, she pulled the insulin package over to her. I expected her to load up the syringes and inject the criminals with a big dose of insulin. Would this have had any sort of "insulin shock" effect on them?
The "package" did not likely contain insulin. It was a Glucogon Kit (like this) used to treat severe hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).
But if she DID have a syringe of insulin handy she could have killed them (remember Reversal of Fortune/Claus von Bulow?).

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Maybe Meg was giving her daughter a treat b/c of their new house and situation.

Would David Fincher really be that blind with regards to this situation? He could very easily had used something else.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Of course diabetics can eat sweets..but they shouldn't make a habit of it accoding to every doctor I have ever talked to.
Sorry, but to suggest that Diabetics, especially Type 1 diabetics "have absolutely no reason to avoid regular Coke or any other sugar filled drink or food as long as they adjust their insulin doses" is wrong.
By that logic, a person that is diagnosed with diabetes should just go on eating sweet foods as though they weren't diabetic and just give themselves a little extra insulin to compensate.:confused:
I'm surprised that you would make such a statement Roger since you obviously know more than most people do about Diabetes.
I think I'll follow the advice of my doctors and endocrinologists and avoid sugar filled drinks and foods, which do indeed raise your glucose levels higher and faster, as much as possible to avoid long term complications such as blindness, kidney failure, amputation, heart disesase and more.
I suggest all Diabetics reading this should do the same.

RogerB

Second Unit
By that logic, a person that is diagnosed with diabetes should just go on eating sweet foods as though they weren't diabetic and just give themselves a little extra insulin to compensate.
That's YOUR logic, not mine.

Of course it's easier to manage your blood sugar if you eat a properly balanced meal of carbs, protein and fat but there is no reason for a responsible diabetic to avoid sugar. A responsible diabetic knows how much a serving of Coke will raise his or her blood sugar and they also know how much insulin will be required to cover it. It's all about management and control.

If a doctor has a patient that does not frequently test their blood sugar and does not know how to count carbs and dose their insulin accordingly, I'm sure his advice would be to avoid sugar. But Jodie Foster's character and her daughter were obviously very conscientious and knowledgeable in regard to diabetes care. I'll bet there are a lot of Type I diabetics who don't even own a Glucagon Emergency Kit.

Anyway, the point is: showing a diabetic drinking a Coke in the movie was no plot hole.

As good as it was, it sure isn't sticking with me like Donnie Darko!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I never said it was a plot hole. I just thought it was strange and have since accepted the explanations given here.
And I guess we'll have to disagree Roger. You say there is no reason for a diabetic to avoid sugar, I say there are plenty! Being a diabetic myself, I try to avoid concentrated sweets as much as possible on the advice of my doctors. I check my sugars three times a day and luckily have good control.
Considering how much harder it is for type 1 diabetics to control their sugars, the wise thing for them to do would be just to avoid them as much as possible.
And you're right about one thing. Donnie Darko is a much better film.:)

Eric Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
I saw this movie last weekend and thought they made a major mistake in the first half of the movie by killing the best character in the movie. The second half wasn't nearly as good as the first half
I actually had the exact opposite reaction than you did. I felt that the second half was much better than the first. I did not enjoy the character played by Jared and was happy to hear he was leaving and didn't mind at all that he was shot. I tired of him rather quickly and felt the movie could have worked better without some of the stupid comedy in it. I thought at first (for the first half an hour) I would be dissapointed with the film but then in the end it proved me wrong and I greatly enjoyed it and can't wait to own it someday.

-Eric

Mark Hobbs

Stunt Coordinator
The Coke was a one-time treat. That's why at first Jodie said "no more", then a little later she let her have the rest of the can. She was obviously letting her daughter enjoy an unusual treat due to the stressful adjustment they were going through. I didn't think it was irresponsible filmmaking or a plot hole.

I don't understand why Burnham had the bonds in his hands anyway after the cops caught him. They were clearly inside his jacket just as they found him, why would he have pulled them out?
He was trying to stash them somewhere so he could come back and get them later. He knew that the police would confiscate them, so he was trying to hide them. He looked around but didn't see anywhere to put them, and by then the cops were screaming at him to raise his hands and show his palms.

I agree with RogerB on this movie. It wasn't filled with "plot holes" as some would suggest. But it wasn't the best movie I've seen this year either. I'd give it a 7/10.

Actually, now that I think about it, it is the best movie I have seen from 2002. It edges out We Were Soldiers for this _temporary_ honor, but there hasn't been much competition yet. I expect Spider Man to take it's place in two weeks. Then AOTC...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
This is HANDS DOWN the best movie I've seen in theaters in 2002.
Of course, it's also the ONLY movie I've seen in theaters in 2002. :D

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just to be clear on this COKE issue, I never said it was a plot hole nor irresponsible filmaking. I just thought it was strange until valid reasons were given here for that scene. As I said, it was a minor quibble. I think I even said it was a treat previously.

Again, I like Panic Room, but it is hardly, IMO, deserving of all this criticism or praise.

IMO, It's a "popcorn" thriller and nothing more. Entertaining but immediately forgettable, and that's just fine. Can anyone name a similar thriller that doesn't have plot holes, inconsistencies, or mistakes?

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone name a similar thriller that doesn't have plot holes, inconsistencies, or mistakes?

Just because other thrillers have them too doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss the ones in "Panic room".

I have a simple rule of thumb: if a plot hole/inconsistency is big enough to bother me while I'm watching the movie, it's big enough that I should criticize the movie for it. If it's something that comes up afterwards when I think of the movie, that means that the filmmakers at least did enough of a job to cover it up, so I'll let it pass.

/Mike

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Here's what I don't understand:

What I never could figure out is after she grabbed the cell phone and locked herself back up...and saw the intruders were all downstairs...why didnt she open the panic room door...make the phone call to 911....then would not have even known for a bit.

I'm talking after she ran back into the room when she knocked over the lamp. After a while, it seems she could have opened the door for a few seconds when they were downstairs and she could have called quickly.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Dave, that occurred to me to as I was watching (finally getting around to this movie at this late date). Since you know where they are through the monitors, wait till they're downstairs, open the door, stick your arm into the bedroom and dial 911. You don't even have to say anything since 911 almost always has Caller ID attached to it (though I suppose with a new house it might take them a while to connect the cell phone number with the right place). But you could certainly get the information out before they got back. I thought that the film did a nice job of setting up the thieves initially meaning to keep a guard there, but not being able to trust each other that all went up in smoke. I think the comparison earlier on with Treasure of the Sierra Madre is spot on.
Another problem: Jared Leto is burned pretty badly by the propane but doesn't go into shock or even seem to notice that anything has happened. Mmm, sorry, no. Spend time on a burn ward and you'll know that if this had really happened to him, he'd either be a) unconscious or b) shrieking in pain until the others killed him to shut him up.
I usually dislike flashy camera work, but I have to say that I really enjoyed the bit where the camera went through the handle of the coffee pot. Now that's bravura camera movement. And it nicely set up the camera moving through walls and floors later in the film, so I don't begrudge it.
Homages: The scene of Yoakam pulling himself on the sledge hammer was a clear homage to the climax of Wait Until Dark, where the guy is pulling himself on the knife. The image of the the heist money being blown away by the wind is swiped from something else too, but it's driving me nuts as to where exactly that comes from. Any assistance?
Anyway, I thought it was a fun picture, and the um, ample bosomage was much appreciated. :b Keep bending over, Jodie. Oh, yeah. :D I'm looking forward to the DVD very much if it's the usual Fincher extravaganza of extras.

Luc D

Second Unit
Mark, I do believe Stanley Kubrick's the Killing was the "first" film to end with a shot of money blowing in the wind.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I believe our very own David Prior is doing the DVD. Looking forward to it myself. One of my favorites of the year so far.
Fun stuff...and yes, Jodie looked great!
Take care,
Chuck ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks