What's new

Official Panasonic DMP-BD10 Blu-Ray player thread (1 Viewer)

mfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michel Fabien

There are no DTS-HD music disc at the present time. But the Panasonic has a DTS decoder and it can certainly play a DTS music disc just like your HD-A1.

Where did you hear that Adcom 7.1 with HDMI switching would come out with DD TrueHD and DTS-HD decoders? I just look at the specs:

http://ca.shop.com/amos/cc/main/prod...4616/ccsyn/261

GoldenRedux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony

This is why I went with the Panasonic - the features are too much to pass up. Once they issue the firmware upgrade, really the only thing it won't do is BD-Live, and I'm not so sure that's a must have technology for me anyhow. I plan on using the Panasonic for DVD-A playback as well and ditching my Denon DVD-2200, unless the Panasonic sounds like complete rubbish in comparison, which I highly doubt. For SACD, I have a Sony XA9000ES SACD/CD player, so I'm not concerned about the Panasonic not being a universal in the audio sense of it.

One thing that does bother me is the Panasonic won't do PAl->NTSC conversion for DVDs. The Denon, as you know, does this (though very poorly, IMO) and I have also applied a region-free firmware hack to mine, so it plays absolutely everything. However, like SACD playback, I have another option for PAL and non-region 1 coded discs and that is my Mac Pro. That is what I usually use to play PAL discs anyway, as I get a much better picture playing them back from my Mac using either VLC or MPlayer (for anything other than Region 1 or Region 0) into my Samsung HD DLP via DVI. If they are Region 0, I might use Apple's DVD Player software, or else I'll rip them and strip the region coding and use DVD Player, because I prefer its interface to MPlayer and VLC.

The Panasonic will also allow me to get rid of my Samsung DVD-HD931 upscaling DVD player w/DVI. So I will be down to two players (XA9000ES and Panasonic) from three. :)

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams

So, from where did you end up geting your Panasonic? When are you expecting it! Of course, you know, we are expecting a full report when it does arrive ;)

GoldenRedux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony

I ordered one from Abt. Unfortunately, they are out of stock, so I am waiting fro the next batch. They are showing '7 to 14 days', but we know that could be wildly inaccurate considering the low quantity of these units being produced. I'm also wondering now if the second batch of players will also have the coupon and the copy of Eight Below, or if we late comers will get stiffed. :frowning:

Rest assured, I will give a report. ;)

GoldenRedux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony

Hey yo! Ray-ray.
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Stargate's one title I'll hold off on on Blu-Ray (until the inevitable 50 GB deluxe version). I prefer the Thetrical Cut of the film. Many complained the added scenes in the Director's Cut didn't look good on DVD (looked like video instead of film). So I wouldn't be surprised if those are the ones that still look bad.

Maybe we'll eventually get another new transfer (but I won't hold my breath). They got rid of most of the EE with the Ultimate Edition, but not quite all of it.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I emailed Adcom and there reply mentioned that they where working on a reciever for the end of 07 that would have HDMI 1.3 and lossless decoding. To my knowledge there is nothing on there web site that mentions that, at least not yet.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy

The movie is never gonna look remarkably better than this. It has so many weak shots. Well, maybe someday they'll digitally enhance some of it? Who knows? The well-shot parts look very good now. I like the theatrical cut too. It has the bloody sub's! There is one particularly clunky edit point in this knitted and weaved "Extended Cut" but the addd footage looks better here than on the DVD....once I inserted the disc into the Panny.

A 50 gig release can't help.....I don't see how.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Artisan released that film 3 times on DVD. I'm sure another release will come. The 50 GB will likely include both versions, like the 2-disc DVD and include all the special features, maybe more. I'm sure I could live with the quality of the presentation of the current disc (I really like the movie), but I need the theatrical cut. The Director's Cut spoils it by giving too much away in advance. The only thing I liked was the sandstorm scene (they're always cut), especially as it explained why Daniel seemingly had drool on his face.

I see the HD-DVD crowd is talking about the 2nd gen Toshiba not having any 5.1 analog outs (I take it the first gen only has 5.1, not 7.1 like the Panny Blu-Ray?). I hope removing the analogs doesn't become a trend like I feared it would from the start. I don't want to have my hand forced. Seeing as how neither format is the near-sure thing that DVD was when I was an early adopter. And with the shortages of these units, it seems like by the time you realize the next-gen won't have what you want, the last one could be hard to track down, much less at a bargain!

Calm..........calm................

GoldenRedux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony

Yep; even the ridiculously overpriced Pioneer only has 5.1 analogue outs; all why the Panny is the one for me - if it only did BD-Live, it would be completely flawless. :)

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
I just bought the URC MX3000 Touch Screen remote.... With IR and RF it controls it just fine now... Only thing is with the fold down Display I have to be carefull with the RF Eye....

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I just hope they keep up the tradition.

I wonder if they'll keep having new flagship entries or they'll be like Sony and hold on to one flagship for years and years, keeping it a premium price all the while. At least with firmware upgrades, some improvement can be made.

The load time on this is around 20 seconds isn't it? The 2nd gen Toshiba is now down to a blazing 26 sec.!

It's hardly a major issue for me, but I thought it was funny people were getting excited about that. Slow menus and chapter changes are a much bigger deal to me. It probably takes me more than 20 seconds to get settled in to watch.

Remember when you used to pop in a WB disc, run to the kitchen, and come back only to see the movie had started without you?:)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I've been thinking about only the Panasonic offering the 7.1 inputs, others only 5.1.

How are the advanced codecs handling 6.1 material? Is the surround back channel truly discrete and not "piggybacked" on the surround left and right channels? As 6.1 has been around for a while, you'd think the players would at least offer 6.1 outputs. Or is the SB channel going to continute to be encoded as it has been? Guessing the advanced codecs (be them lossless or otherwise) will have them truly discrete and the vanilla DD and DTS will be old-school encoding.

Obviously, if you get an SPCM 6.1 track, you need 6.1 or 7.1 outputs if you're not doing it over HDMI.

Funny how the new codecs are more backwards-compatible than a lot of the hardware. I guess the manufacturers want you to run out and buy one of their new receivers too.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Uh oh. :frowning:

The receiver manufacturers better get their graphics people working on a logo so people will know if a particular receiver has DACs for HDMI's LPCM audio stream.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks