What's new

Official Panasonic DMP-BD10 Blu-Ray player thread (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Yes, it differs. But I would never set a speaker to "large" if it couldn't go as deep as 30Hz (- 1dB) - and proven, not the manufacturer's indication. So in practice, given the fact that the sub can almost surely do it, "small" is the much better setting. Furthermore, sending the lower frequencies (< 80 Hz) to the sub, relieves the other speakers (and amplifiers) from the burden of a lot of power to produce.

Cees

GoldenRedux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony

That's true, but unfortunately the crossover on these players is so high, it makes no sense. This Panasonic has the crossover set at 100Hz. That's fine for satellites, but what if you have larger or full-range speakers? At this point in time, it makes no sense to me that they don't incorporate bass management in the players that allows you to specifically specify the crossover frequency. Why is that so difficult? Panasonic has you calculating delay time in milliseconds, but you can't set the crossover?

GoldenRedux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
Anyhow, this is way off topic. Sorry folks. Please, get back to the discussions of the Panny review. :)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I'll squeeze this in and then keep my lips zipped. :) Many Yamaha hi-res players have a non-changeable crossover set at 120Hz. :eek:

Anyway..............

GoldenRedux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
So, has anyone out there done an in depth review of the actual hardware inside the Panasonic? Like, the sort of analogue stage, and power supply, and so on?

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Hi Guys,

Got the Panny today... Very funny, I spun Ultra Violet... Looked great, but i am seeing these choppy banding lines in the middle of my screen? Ben have you seen these?? It's like a little flicker in the image. I dont get this on 8 Below.....

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Guys,
My first impressions are not very promising. Have spun a few movies. I am not seeing that top notch Video like HD DVD.....

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams

I haven't noticed that... can you give me a timestamp of when in the film you are seeing it? I'll check when I get home tonight.

What display are you using? Be sure to check out Brothers Grimm and Tears of the Sun as well... great transfers.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Ben,

Just noticed this from the start. Have you tinkered with the contrast settings yet?

I just played 50 First Dates. This I can tell looks fabulous. The video on this BD Disc looks as good or better than anything HD DVD has... I guess it's all software driven at this point.... I have lots to do with this Panasonic and will return with more findings...

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
To Add, I had the Samsung, and returned it to best buy... I paid basically the same price for this Panasonic with discount......

Originally I wasnt happy with Quality compaired to HD DVD. 50 First Dates looks jaw dropping guys, So I will have to test out a few more. Im sure I will be happy...

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams

I set the contrast to -2 and the brightness to +1. I'll be sure to check out Ultraviolet tonight to see if I get the same problem. Glad to hear you've found a good title!

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams
Thought you all might want to know that the free blu-ray discs that Panasonic is offering with this player arrived today. Gone in 60 Seconds and The Great Raid arrived a mere 12 days after I filled out the webform. Not too shabby!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy

I thought 50 First Dates was gonna have a permanent shelf spot after how it looked on my, early build, Samsung. It had some weird haze over it. Yesterday was my first day with the Panasonic and before I played any whole discs, I spot checked about 15 BD's, mostly really good ones and really bad ones first. 50 First Dates was the first disc I put in and I was pleasantly shocked. I watched abut 10 minutes of it and moved on but it went from unwatchable to I'll be rescreening it soon based on what I saw.

I put in The Punisher and hoped it would become very watchable too. It too lost a veil of noise but underneath it stille looked devoid of detail. All the discs that I thought showed some kind of really marked improvement over the Samsung's playback were MPEG2 Sony or Lionsgate, the early stuff. The differences between the Panasonic and Samsung are gonna be smallest on VC1 and MPEG4 stuff from what I saw last night. I watched all the way through: Eight Below.....shouldn't it have been called more like 80 Below (?).... Blazing Saddles, Click, and Haunted Mansion. It was definitely my best night of Blu viewing since, well, forever, and by no smallish margin, no! I was up late too......

I'm anxious to re-view a couple of other titles that were disappointing with the Samsung. I thought Lord Of War looked almost good them, hmnnnn, we'll see, now. It's gonna go next. I'm curious.

P.S. - Ben, in the picture of the Panny's front, that red stuff in the readout, is that a reflection from across the room? Nice review, it nudged me some to try out the Panasonic.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Wouldn't mind knowing how Gone in 60 Seconds looks. Is that the theatrical or director's cut?

And there are 8 dogs in 8 Below, right?;)

Funny, I remember when that came out my friend joked we should go see that. Now, I kind of want to see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks