What's new

Official Panasonic DMP-BD10 Blu-Ray player thread (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy

Life's muy bueno, I got one of both now. For my purposes, the 30 is now the preffered deck. Now I'm a true master of 1.3rd degree. My head unit was from '99, it was time to try somethin' else. My 10 is going to my little system. It's my second favourite player.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Is there a way to find out which version of firmware this player is running?

I'll be darned if I haven't looked through the menus exhaustively...but can't seem to figure out where to find it.

Thanks.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dana: Thanks a bunch! No wonder I couldn't find it.

I knew I should have gone and seen that National Treasure sequel. That might have helped me! Secret codes and all...

I just went ahead and updated the firmware myself on a disc provided with the player (Version 2.4). I was a little apprehensive at first but figured, "well, they supplied the disc for a reason." Then I got real scared when it took so long (several minutes) with odd messages flashing on the front of the machine...but it looked like it went all right.

I guess now I'll never know which version it had before I upgraded it. Oh well. Onward and upward. :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Rachael:

Thanks! I'm trying to keep up with the hardware discussions! :) Not necessarily doing a good job...but I'm trying.

The main draw for 2.0 is internet connectivity, right? The big diff between 1.0 and 1.1 is that 1.0 players will not be handle P-i-P discs when they come out. Is that all? And, do I have that mostly right?

Since I have a BD-10, do you think I should have any concerns about becoming obsolete as the pendulum swings towards Blu-ray (in the format wars)? I'm not all that concerned about P-i-P features on discs.

drbonbi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dana Baggett

I know you asked Rachel. But I have a little anecdote to share. A computer tech friend of mine pointed out years ago that the only way to be poised at the cutting edge of technology is -- to not buy anything. As soon as we early adopters bought the BD10, we were locked into 2006 albeit with some firmware updates that helped keep us current for a while.

It is inevitable. I think you answered your own question. Unless and until the latest and greatest is worth making a change, enjoy what we have. Especially since I think we made the right choice in the format war.

Now what we need are more and better titles in BD.

Dana

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Mike, the only reason I got a BD30 was for the audio connectivity with the Onkyo 805 reciever I'd aqquired. I don't much care about PIP or internet connectivity. If I hadn't upgraded my head unit, I'd stille be using an A10.....well, I am stille using my A10 in another system. The A10 is such a stable platform, why upgrade unless you really embrace somethin' about the new features. The audio is all I'm on about.

ErichH

Screenwriter

Agree - For people who don't want to turn over their audio system just yet, this is a fine choice.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
On second thought, maybe that's just because Panasonic isn't issuing further upgrades for this player?

Also, has anyone with the BD10 or 10A experienced any playback issues with 3:10 To Yuma? Just curious; although I haven't bought or rented it yet (saw it theatrically and loved it), as of this writing it is the 1.1 title of greatest interest for me and I wanna know in advance if I should expect any problems with just movie and 'traditional' supplements playback.

Winman42

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Winston
Hey Friends, not sure if i should start a separate thread for my BD10A problem, or it could be addressed here. Got this player free last year as one of the EMA attendeees. Havent had any issues until last week. It seems that most films i pop in give me a "NO DISC" error. Even some titles that i have successfully played in the past. It started with "SUNSHINE", then i noticed it with "INITIAL D", and "INVISIBLE TARGET", both Hong Kong releases. Also noticed 'THE GREAT RAID" wont load, nor will "FINAL FANTASY" which has played in the past.

I upgraded the firmware today from 2.0 to 2.4, and still the problem persists.

Anyone having the same issues with any titles, or have any suggestions?

thanks,

Winston

drbonbi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dana Baggett
Winston,

I have an OPPO 981 upconverting DVD player. Every once in a while someone will post a similar comment on a thread dealing with that player and the response when all else fails is, pull the plug literally for overnight or longer.

Hope it works.

Dana

Winman42

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Winston
Dana, thanks for the response. I did try the reset option listed in the manual, which is to hold the power button down for 10 seconds. Didnt work. i also unplugged it, but only for 30 seconds or so. Guess i'll try overnite when i hit the sack tonite. Fingers crossed.

Win

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Hey guys,

Hope this is the right thread for my question, if not maybe I should post my own new thread? I'm sorry to say I'm having some major problems with this player all of a sudden. :frowning:

This story has some odd details so gotta include them all incase they are part of the problem.

Last night me and my wife were watching O Brother Where Art Thou On DVD (Rented frim Netflix) on this player, 40 minutes in the disc started messing up so I take it out to clean it. The disc is kinda dirty and I clean it. Put it back in and the player wont read the disc again. Try a few times but it still wont read it. Eventually give up and goto bed.

This morning while doing some work I decided to put the Eagles Hell Freezes Over dts DVD in to have something on while I work. It plays fine. Later this morning my wife wants to watch the Back to the Future Trilogy. I try to put disc 1 in but it will not read the disc, no matter what I do. I try part 2, still nothing.

So something is wrong with my player. The BttF discs are new looking, so I know it's not the discs.

I can't get any BluRay to play. CDs work, and SOME DVDs.

Here is the weird part. The only DVDs I can get to work, are ones that incluce dts tracks! Oh Brother Where Art Thou was in dts too, till it messed up. I've tried 3 DVD movies that have dts tracks and they all load. Any movie I try without dts tracks, do not.

I restored the player to factory default, didn't help.

I was going to reinstall the 2.4 firmware but it wont read THAT disc either. I've only had the player 5 months so I guess I'm still covered for a repair/replacement huh? Should I contact Panasonic?

Also I wanted to mention my player is VERY quiet. I never hear the fan and I wonder if I should? Do BD player fans always run, or is that only as needed like a PC Fan?

My Sony 52XBR4's fans also don't always run and I was told the TV can be kind of "Loud." I've never noticed. I hope I dont got a bunch of electronics with faulty fans!

Winman42

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Winston
Sounds like you need to contact PANNY. The unit should have a 1 year warranty, like mine. Mine plays DVd fine, but wont load any BLU-RAY discs. Reset didnt work either. Waiting for some paperwork from PANNY, so i can send it back, as i dont have a receipt. The player was free.

Just kinda weird that we didnt get any strange symptoms, just stopped working from one minute to the next.

Win

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks