What's new

Official Panasonic DMP-BD10 Blu-Ray player thread (1 Viewer)

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
How does the unit handle 4:3 DVD material? I believe it should be pillarboxing any on the BD side but does it stretch/zoom the DVD?

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit

Ah, beautiful. I think this wasn't finalized in the prototype models and comments made about them and I know it's an issue with the Samsung for those that don't like the stretching.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Ben

Thanks for the review.

How does the audio on this machine sound on this machine when comparing the processor/DACs on the Panasonic's analogue outs in comparison to your Rotel's processor/DACs? Have you tried this comparison?

Mike

GoldenRedux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony

I'm interested in this as well, as the high-res audio capabilities of Blu-ray are one of the biggest draws for me, and using the new lossless audio codecs will be limited to the capabilities of the machines decoding them, at least for the next 6 to 12 months before we start to see HDMI 1.3 and A/VRs that can decode the new codecs as well.

If the Panasonic has a good analogue stage, it could sound killer.

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams

Hey Michael!

I did, actually... I'm not sure what's inside the Panny, but it must have some pretty nice DACs. I noticed that there was very little descernable difference between the Rotel and the Panny. I also compared DVD-A performance between the Panny and the Denon DVD-2910 with its Burr-Brown chipset. It was also a wash. Whatever they packed into the Panny is of very nice quality. I just wish it would play SACD, so I could eliminate the DVD-2910.

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams

I didn't try out that feature as my TV does a nice zoom. I'll check it out tonight and report back.

EDIT: The Panny does have a zoom feature!

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams

I've found no available settings for 1080p/24. I think it is safe to say that this one doesn't support it.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Awesome review Ben, thanks!

Soon after Christmas I'm hoping some of the big box stores will get some BR player returns so I can pick one up on the cheap.

GoldenRedux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony

I'm waiting on some sort of holdiay season sale pricing or refurbs myself. :emoji_thumbsup: :cool:

This MSRP pricing just isn't cutting it for me.

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams

I bought mine with a 10% off coupon from a major retailer. So, If you just can't wait any longer for HD on disc, it is absolutely possible to buy this unit for less than the $1300 MSRP today.

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams

Unfortunately, it doesn't have an option to disable the video circuit for audio playback. I always really liked that feature on my DVD-1600... very thoughtful design on Denon's part.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks