What's new

***Official Outlaw 950 Thread *** (1 Viewer)

J

John Morris

Matthew: Well said, and I agree entirely. Outlaw has communicated more information about their products sooner and to a much greater extent than any other electronics company that I've ever seen. If your questions or concerns weren't answered in their newsletters, they have been very accessable via their 800 phone number to answer those questions and concerns. I can only hope that most of this sharing of information and ideas between Outlaw and us can continue in light of some of the criticism they've received on the forums. I hope that Outlaw realizes that you just can't please everyone all of the time... although, if the 950 is as good as it sounds, they might just do that afterall. :D

Bill Bradstreet

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I just signed up for the waiting list. I didn't want to sign up earlier because I won't be ready for the unit for a bit. A March delivery sounds like a good schedule for my wallet. Now to go and try to figure out when I should order my norh LeAmps and my Diva 6.1s!! I can't wait to get into my family room!!

In a way, I see it as a shame that I won't be using this for my home theater. I guess I could always get a second unit later on right? ;-) The only surround setting I plan on using is a little of the virtual surround stuff for TV. I may end up getting a few in-wall or in-ceiling speakers to do the rears later on, but not at first.

Bill

J

John Morris

Their thin-skinned reaction to some of the online posting was a bit surprising.
How "thin skinned" would any of US be if folks started publicly calling us liers, when we knew we weren't. In spite of all the repeated suggestions that Outlaw was purposely misleading its' consumers for one reason or another, Outlaw kept silent, until this latest newsletter, when they addressed each accusation and speculation, as constructively as they could. IMO, I think they were quite "thick skinned" as during the past month they seemed to just place many of the negative accusative posts in the "no good deed goes unpunished" file.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone else notice the reference to a high end pre amp? I thought this was off the table since nearly everything was incl in the 950...wonder what/when it will be announced.

J

John Morris

Did anyone else notice the reference to a high end pre amp? I thought this was off the table since nearly everything was incl in the 950...wonder what/when it will be announced.
Hmmm, your guess is as good as mine. Based on what has happened with the feedback to the Outlaw estimates on the 950, I'd guess they'll let us know about the high end pre/pro when it is ready...?

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
... Based on what has happened with the feedback to the Outlaw estimates on the 950, I'd guess they'll let us know about the high end pre/pro when it is ready...?
More likely, after the events of the past couple of months, they'll tell us about it after the beta testers have their hands on it! :)

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Speaking of Beta testers.... when are the 950 beta testers going to be allowed to speak up about there experiences with the Beta units?

W

Will

PR is one way to counter actions which are perceived negatively. An alternative approach is to not commit actions (again and again) which are perceived negatively.

J

John Morris

There are a number of good standard practices for countering negative public perception, and they should think about getting someone skilled in those practices on the ole payroll.
I think companies like Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic, Lexicon and B&K all employ those PR types and their strategy has worked nicely for them... I believe their strategy is called total silence. As for me, I'd rather hear from someone who actually has a say and is involved with the day to day of a company. Sometimes though, those passionate, involved folks may become too enthusiastic in their conversations with us. Then again, others may prefer hearing the usual safe, generic, vague product descriptions and availability dates as determined by a hired PR hack. To each his own I guess?

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
There's a small Grocer here in Tucson called Trader Joes who come on the radio and tell you in direct plain English, no fanfare, no music, no insulting jingles, no hype just what their product is and how much they are selling it for. For me, their approach says they assume I'm a halfway intelligent human being. This direct no nonsense approach that the Outlaws have adopted works for me as well. I certainly appreciate it a lot more than a lot of canned self serving insulting PR bull you hear 99% of the time.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Wll said:
Russell,
I'm very familiar with TJ, both in Tucson (up on Tanque Verde), in LA and, of course right near me here in NY. In other words, Joe ain't small potatoes. However, yes, I do like their approach to the way they present their products and their pricing and I agree with your point.

W

Will

I guess we still don't know if Atlantic Tech's pre/pro will be identical to the 950 on the inside, or merely similar on the inside. From the pictures we've seen of both pre/pro's it looks like the hardware may be identical. Or maybe not? In the Outlaw's last newsletter they say "The Model 950's hardware and software platform was developed by and for the Outlaws. It is NOT an off-the-shelf or derivative design."
The same newsletter also says "Our arrangement with Eastech allows them to use aspects of the Model 950's design in OEM products that they may sell to other companies, but it is up to those other companies to determine how they will differentiate their products within guidelines we've established. We can't speak for any other company as to how their products may differ from the Model 950's design; you'll have to ask them about that."

J

John Morris

I guess we still don't know if Atlantic Tech's pre/pro will be identical to the 950 on the inside,...
Anyone who is interested in the Atlantic Technology unit may want to contract Atlantic Technology for more info on their new pre-pro. Has anyone tried doing that yet?

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Damn, I'm behind - just got to work and read the newsletter. To turn the coversation from "PR", I will venture to guess that the first upcoming new product announcement for "home theater" will be a remote. Care to start a pool?

Rob Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Will,

"The same newsletter also says "Our arrangement with Eastech allows them to use aspects of the Model 950's design in OEM products that they may sell to other companies, but it is up to those other companies to determine how they will differentiate their products within guidelines we've established. We can't speak for any other company as to how their products may differ from the Model 950's design; you'll have to ask them about that."

I think that means they have to change the green button and fisher price cowboy!!! :)

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I will venture to guess that the first upcoming new product announcement for "home theater" will be a remote. Care to start a pool?
I guess you're referring to the product that's supposed to ship by the time the first pitch is thrown. A remote is a juicy guess. Given my desire to get my hands on the MX-700 when it's out, assuming that will be possible, I'll take your guess a bit further and say that maybe the Outlaws will work with URC to direct market their own version of the MX-700. I would guess that URC will be OEMing this eventually to other companies for inclusion with their products (probably high end stuff, so that installers will still be in the loop). The only issue will be timing, since the MX-700 isn't even in installers hands yet (if I understand correctly).
In any case, if it's a remote, I would guess Outlaw with go the OEM route with few customizations, i.e., Outlaw won't have anywhere near the heavy-handed design and production involvement in this as they apparently have had with the 950. Here's hoping it's PC-programmable :emoji_thumbsup:
Doug

W

Will

I think that means they have to change the green button and fisher price cowboy
There are as you say, some minor exterior cosmetic differences. The Outlaws apparently won't tell us what *all* the differences are between the Outlaw pre/pro and Atlantic Tech pre/pro. But judging from the pictures at CES, the two units look mightily the same under the cover. And while the Outlaws told us in their newsletter that their pre/pro's hardware and software were developed for the Outlaws (even though "aspects" of the design may be used by other companies), based on the CES pictures you've still got to wonder what the differences are inside. Maybe different software? Or maybe they are in essence, identical inside. Maybe the design aspects that may be used by other companies means the complete internals of the design, lock stock and barrel, hardware and software, could be shared? Who knows at this point?

Rob Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
With all the trouble they have had with software (as far as I know it is not debugged yet) does anyone really think AT will change it?

They will be identical units IMO except for the obvious cosmetic differences.

Like everyone else I am just hoping it is great in 2 channel as I'm sure it will be great in HT formats.

Anyone want to bet the "remote" comes out before the 950?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks