What's new

*** Official *** Outlaw 950 questions thread (1 Viewer)

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Robert, with all the questions being asked in the review thread I thought it would be better to start a new thread that you could move all of those question and comments over to. That way the review thread will just have reviews of the 950. Sound like a plan?
Administrator's Comment: I've cleaned the questions out of the review thread located here and have asked that all questions regarding the 950 experience be brought up in this thread instead. Thanks for the suggestion.
RAF

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Good idea.

I'll start.

I've heard the 950 can't remember settings for specific inputs. That it has global memory only. Is this true?

Can you have the auto-detect feature set "on" for one input and "off" for another? Can you have speaker settings for each input or is this the global aspect I've heard about?

One follow-up question: are there direct buttons to access the various surround formats or do you have to scroll through them?

I lied...here's a second follow-up question: Do any of you 950 owners have experience with Logic 7? How does the Cirrus Extra surround processing compare? Can it really be compared at all? After getting used to Logic 7 I'd like a viable alternative.

Thanks!

Dzung Pham

Second Unit
Well, this will depend on your personal preferences. Me? I would have to give the edge to Logic 7. But that is because I like my music loud and my surrounds active. I did not really notice any sonic advantages in Logic 7. The sound was still crisp and clear with Outlaw's offering but with Logic 7 the surrounds took a little more life. I would really have to explain it by saying "Logic 7 is DPL-II on steroids." Yes I did enjoy listening in Logic 7 better but if someone were to ask me if I could live without it I would reply with a resounding "YES."

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Camp,

Yes, global memory only (I think I answered this question posed by you in another thread also).

I believe that the auto detect is global also. So far I have connections to the TV (analog), VCR (analog) and DVD/CD player (optical) and it "detects" everytime I change inputs. Someone else can confirm if I'm off.

The remote as all of the formats at the bottom of the remote. I like this feature as I can punch in directly from the remote to compare formats very quickly.

Sorry, I don't have any experience with Logic 7.

Bob

Michael Yung

Stunt Coordinator
One follow-up question: are there direct buttons to access the various surround formats or do you have to scroll through them?
You get one button for DD and another one for DTS. If let's say the DVD you're watching has DD, by pushing the DD button on the remote, it cycles throught DD, DPLII-C, DPLII-M and ProLogic.

Hope this answers your questions.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Steve Simon had an MC-1 and now has a 950. He should be able to answer your Logic-7 questions. Also, Gene Lockaby, one of the beta testers, owns an MC-12 and he made some comments regarding Logic 7 vs. the 950 in the old thread on this.

Maybe they'll chime in with there comments or direct you to their exact remarks.

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
A couple questions (maybe more later):

1. Does it save different channel level settings for each input? For instance, if I want to run my sub a couple dBs hot for DVD but not for CD will it be able to do so?

2. How are the discrete codes? I have a Marantz RC5000 remote (Pronto, basically) and want to be able to discrete code as much as possible: discrete on and off, discrete sound modes (stereo, DPL, etc.), and so on.

Michael Yung

Stunt Coordinator
Yohan,

1. No different level settings for different devices.

2. 950 has discrete code to turn off. It turns on by you selecting one of the inputs; DVD, Aux1, VCR, etc. I also have a Pronto and it works perfectly. No discrete sound modes as far as I know.

MY

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
1. No different level settings for different devices.
How about different level settings for different sound modes? This would work almost as well, and I'd be content with it.

The lack of discrete codes for sound modes is disappointing but not nearly as crucial.

Jim Prillaman

Stunt Coordinator
Camp

The auto-detect / lock setting is stored discretely for each input, I believe. I have my CD player's input locked, and the DVD input seems to still stay on auto-detect.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
The auto-detect / lock setting is stored discretely for each input, I believe.
My experience confirms that. Autodetect can be disabled/enabled for each input device. (And I'm only violating my own moratorium on Outlaw 950 thread participation in order to provide some helpful info.) :)

Sean D

Stunt Coordinator
Is anyone getting a chirping/distorted/no bass sound/ sounds only coming from mainly the center channel with DPL II cinema and music? I am finding this with my Bell ExpressVu 5100 reciever in both digital and analog mode as well as with regular cable tv in analog.It's not so chirpy with cable tv but there is hardly any sounds at all coming from the mains. I've also tried switching digital inputs on the 950.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
OK...that's two people who say the auto-detect/lock setting is global and two who say it's by input. Anyone care to break the tie? ;)
Bob, I thank you for tossing aside your reservations about posting in a 950 thread. :)

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Ok, just checked while watching Sharks/Avs game. Go Sharks, 0-0 after 1st period.

I think I know why I think I was confused. If you use the digital inputs and if the auto detect is on (by default), the effect appears to be global for all digital inputs. It would appear that if you change the sound format and the auto detect is off, it keeps the sound format in memory based on individual input. So I change my vote to per input.

For the analog inputs, there is no auto detect so it stays in the last mode it was placed in per input. So if video 1 is set for stereo and video 2 was last set for 5 stereo, they stay in those sound modes.

Bob

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
Serge,

Thanks for posting your 950 review. I enjoyed reading your impressions for this component and I see that you have an ATI 1502 also. How do you like it? Also, what do your think of the 6.1 performance of the 950, particularly with Dolby EX? Thanks again.

Matt

W

Will

I am a new 950 user. I find the FM satisfactory. (But not great.) But I'm having a real problem with AM. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. All stations on the AM band have this terrible static. It's practically unlistenable. I know AM isn't high fidelity. But I like to listen to AM occassionally. My previous receiver, a cheap Sony receiver, got AM without the static. I used the little AM antenna that is supplied with the 950. Could that be the problem? Somehow I doubt it. With the 950, when I connect either the AM antenna from my previous receiver, or the AM antenna supplied with the 950, AM stations have terrible static on the 950.

Am I the only one who has this problem with AM on the 950? Am I doing something wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks