What's new

*** Official Outlaw 950 pre-release discussion thread *** (please read first post) (1 Viewer)

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
Beta-testers: Have any of you cracked open the 950 yet?

Is the green power button easily accessable?

Does it look like a standard button?

Bob Crum

Auditioning
Robert...thanks for the reply about the Zone 2 operation. Just to clarify...do you need the remote to accomplish source/volume for Zone 2, or can it also be done from the front panel?
For all of you who are interested in just who this East Tech company is, a few minutes sleuthing on the net came up with their website at:
Link Removed
Of particular interest is their January 2002 newsletter at:
Link Removed
...which contains in it information and photos of the 950 and the AT amplifier. It also contains information about the Outlaw 1050, which they also manufacture.
For you spec geeks, this newsletter also releases some of the specs for what I would take to be the Outlaw 950:
"The audio specifications of the 950 are six channels pre-output (0.03% THD @ 1kHz, 1 VRMS 47 ohms) and one subwoofer pre-output (0.03% THD @ 100Hz, 1 VRMS 47 ohms). Its cyclic sources include DVD; Video 1; Video 2; Video 3; Video 4; Tuner; CD; Tape; AUX 1; and AUX 2. Various types of input such as analog, optical, coaxial and direct 5.1- channel can be selected from the cyclic source. The size of
the unit is at 435(W) X 117(H) X 372.4(D) mm."
Also of particular interest is a background paragraph explaining part of their business model. I quote:
"As a contract manufacturer, EASTECH services both OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) and ODM (Original Design Manufacturer) customers. OEM customers provide us with the specifications and appearance design of products and we produce their products for them according to these requirements. But for ODM manufacturing, the Group plans, develops and creates the appearance design of its own products and offers them to all its customers. Since ODM product designs are generally shared, EASTECH pays for and owns the tooling. ODM products, once accepted by a customer, will be manufactured and sold under the customer's brand name."
It would appear that Outlaw's relationship with Easttech might be somewhere between OEM and ODM, since Outlaw has been very specific in saying that the 950 was built to their specifications, and yet it is obviously being offered to other companies.
Also interesting is that Easttech is part owner of Arrio communicaitons, the company that was a partner with Outlaw in the development of the Outlaw IR-1000 Internet Radio tuner.
Hmmmm....if we look at the list of things that EastTech has in development, can we find a future Outlaw product????

J

John Morris

Are any of the beta testers using the "Triple Xover" function of 950's bass management?
Yup, I'm trying it right now with my front L/R set for 40Hz, front Center for 80Hz and Surrounds set for 60Hz. It works perfectly but I am thinking that for some movies and for DVD concert videos I am hearing too much bass. I think I may push my front L/R channels back up to 60Hz and see if I like that better. I'm gonna wait to run Spectra+ till after I have my final 950 unit and am also using my ICBM. At that time, I'll be able to figure out exactly where to set my crossovers. BTW, my front L/R speakers are rated to 32Hz, my center channel to 45Hz, my surround sides to 40Hz and my surround backs to only 80Hz. My subwoofer gets high, flat output down to 20Hz or so.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
John- Do you know if the 80 Hz crossover available for the 5.1 analog input is also available for the stereo inputs operated in "bypass" mode?

Thanks!

BruceD

Screenwriter
John,

Thanks for the info on the xovers. My mains also go down to 32Hz (Dynaudio Contour) but center and surrounds are different. This at least lets me optimize my center and surrounds, as I already have an electronic xover on the mains.

W

Will

the 950 has no power outlets, but then I realized it was not a problem. I have a Monster 3500 power center ....

Is anybody else surprised the 950 has no power outlets? I didn't expect a power outlet bulky enough to power an amp, but it might have been nice if they had a power outlet that could be used to power accessories on and off.

Those of us without a power center (see above quote) may have to find a way to switch their accessories (like their DVD player) on and off automatically concurrently with their pre/pro.

W

Will

My mains also go down to 32Hz (Dynaudio Contour)

I believe Dynaudio rates their Contour speaker lines with a frequency reponse of +/- 3 dB. I understand that if a speaker is down 3 dB at, say, 32 Hz, it's probably advisable to set the crossover at least an octive higher, in this case that would be 64 Hz (double the frequency), if you wish to avoid the 3 dB drop-off in the frequency response.

By the way, which model Dynaudio Contour are you using?

JimP

Auditioning
Jim Prillaman, Robert...

I think I may have confused you guys. My monoblocks are plugged into the AMP portion of my Panamax. The Panamax is plugged into the wall outlet for power. The Panamax I have (1000?) also has a plug that is used as a sense line. So, I plug the Panamax sense plug into the switched AC outlet of the Preamp. That Panamax uses that to sense when it's turned on, then turns on the AMP section after a delay...

I'm definitely NOT pulling power from the preamp to power the amps... Yikes... That powercord from the Panamax to the preamp is just a sense line...

What type of connection is the "trigger" output on the 950? I'll have to check the Panamax I have (it's pretty old) to see if there is a similar type of trigger input (right now the "trigger" input is based on an AC style plug).

Otherwise, I guess I'll have to see if the trigger output of the 950 is compatible with the inputs to my amps...

Basically, what I want to do is have the 950 be able to power on/off the amps. If I can't have that, then at least put the amps into standby mode...

Thanks,

...Jim

J

John Morris

Jim: I tried getting some MA-500 amp info from Marantz yesterday but was unsuccessful. They have also removed ALL info about that amp from their web site. I also use a pair of Panamax 1000s but not for my amps. I know exactly what you are talking about when you talk about the Panamax delay turn on plug. I'd recommend that you plug that plug back into one of the two "always on" outlets on the 1000, and then use the miniplug cable amp turn on to the MA-500s if they support it.

There may be a way or some type of adapter which will allow you to use the mini-plug amp trigger of the 950 to connect to the 3 prong plug of the Pana 1000 but I don't know what it is or if you can do it.

I'd suggest you try to get ahold of Panamax(that is easy as they have very good customer service) and Marantz(not as easy).

PS - One other way for you to do this is to get an X-10 remote outlet turn on switch and then plug the Pana 1000's turn on plug into that and use a macro as part of your system turn on to also sequence the turn on of the amps.

BruceD

Screenwriter
Will,

I have a 5 speaker Dynaudio Contour setup and an M&K sub.

Yes, I do xover my Dynaudio Contour 2.8 towers @60Hz (-3dB @32Hz) with a -24dB slope 4th order L-R symmetrical (low-pass and high-pass) electronic crossover. In this current configuration all re-directed bass and LFE bass is routed to the main L&R channels.

Even though I'm not a fan of THX -12dB slope high-pass filters, I will give these a try in the 950 because I can accomodate a different xover frequency for my center and surrounds. The Contour Center has a -3dB of 75Hz and the Contour 1.1 Surrounds a -3dB of 47Hz.

So, as you can see, I may benefit from any system that gives me the option of setting the bass management at different frequencies for mains, center, and surrounds.

On another note:

Is anybody else surprised the 950 has no power outlets?

Not me!! I wouldn't expect a high quality product (read non-mass market product) to have such a thing.

JimP

Auditioning
John,

What kind of MA500 info are you looking for? I *think* I still have the original owners manuals for mine. I could look them up and try to scan them or fax them to you.

...Jim

Is anybody else surprised the 950 has no power outlets? I didn't expect a power outlet bulky enough to power an amp, but it might have been nice if they had a power outlet that could be used to power accessories on and off.
Will - I believe power outlets on system components are a convenience feature held over from the versatility provided by A/V receiver manufacturers.

One of the advantages of a separates system is a much lower noise floor, when compared to receivers. One of the most common sources of noise can be from the power supply.

Proper design of a good pre/pro must take into account not only noise from its own power supply, but must incorporate measures to isolate noise generated by all the digital processing going on and keeping that noise isolated from the analog output stages. When you consider all this, adding a power outlet only adds opportunity to inject more noise.

Though I'm not really into heavy tweaking, I do believe in eliminating opportunity to inject noise. A year ago I had everything plugged into two power strips which were daisy chained and plugged into one outlet on a 15 amp circuit shared by three rooms.

In my system now, the 950 is not only isolated (not plugged into the same power strip/outlet) from the power amps, it is on its own separate dedicated circuit. The RPTV is on the second, the amps on the third, and other digital components (DVD, CD, DSS/HDTV decoder etc., are on the fourth. All are separate dedicated circuits on the same phase. Power cables are arranged and separated from interconnects, and speaker wire.

I use a combination of the 12v triggers and separate power supply/line conditioner products by Monster and PS Audio, both to power the equipment and sequence the startup/shut down.

Did all this make a huge difference in system performance? Not really. But it did make a noticeable difference in the noise floor. The system is now extremely clean and quiet. The dynamics and detail are much improved. The improvement in the video off the RPTV was noticeable.

Some report huge improvements in both video and audio by incorporating these measures. I think a lot of that has to do with the quality of the power available in your room to begin with.

I don't think one thing I did made all the difference, but rather the sum of all the small things keeps the system sounding as clean and quiet as it can.

As you have heard, the 950 is exceptionally clean and quiet. If it did have an additional power outlet, I would certainly not use it.

Regards - Gene

J

John Morris

What kind of MA500 info are you looking for?
Jim P: I am looking for some info on the Marantz MA-500 monoblock amp to see if they accept or use a 12v trigger for auto-on. Can you look at the page in the manual, or at the back of the amp itself to see if there is a small mini-plug sized input? Or in the manual to see if the amps accept a 12v trigger signal for auto on?

Thanks!

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Merc,

The MA500 does not have a DC trigger...I had a couple. They do have some marantz "link" for remote control compatiability with marantz gear.

J

John Morris

Ricky T: thanks for that info. I used to use a MA-500 for my Thunderseat gaming chair, but I always just left the amp on and never turned it off.

Jim: Looks like the X-10 solution might be your only solution for auto onning your amps.

Brandon B

Second Unit
I think I have figured out the problem.
Outlaw keeps seeing complaints that there is not enough delay in the 950, so they keep adding more.
Maybe if we are all very quiet, it will ship.
BB:laugh: :laugh:

W

Will

Proper design of a good pre/pro must take into account not only noise from its own power supply, but must incorporate measures to isolate noise generated by all the digital processing going on and keeping that noise isolated from the analog output stages. When you consider all this, adding a power outlet only adds opportunity to inject more noise.

---

If it did have an additional power outlet, I would certainly not use it.

Good point! Guess I'll have to get used to the 12v trigger approach to turning other components on and off, rather than using a switched line, so it is a whole new way for me, but I agree that the 12v trigger approach does seem to be the better way from a performance POV if not a set-up POV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks