What's new

***Official Outlaw 950 Manual now available Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Brandon B

Second Unit
I've got 192 Mb of RAM in the mac. It would appear that my memory settings on Acrobat 4 and 5 were on the low side though. It appears to be better now. I thought I had them bumped way up for looking at the large schedules they like to put out at work here.

Thanks

BB

ErichH

Screenwriter
How easy is this manual !! Great job and it's killin' me . Another Needfull Thing !

Just sitting here dreaming about a nice Outlaw Stack - 770/ICBM/950

Audio Heaven for 3K

I love it !!!

E

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
To bad they're using that aweful remote the B&K, Rotel, and probably most of the other pre/pro's are using..
it's the same remote that came with my ACT-3 pre/pro a few years ago. you're right, it's awful. i promptly tossed it and bought a pronto. the Acurus dealer said the remote was the biggest complaint about the product.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
I printed out the whole thing with no problem using an HP Officejet 710.

What exactly is the problem with the remote? It looks like it does everything I want it to do especially if you are not a fan of touchscreens or LCD readouts.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Reading material for weekend, cool! :)
1) I think it was SGHT that did a review of the B&K 307 (?) receiver maybe within the past 6 months. They spent a fair amount of time on the remote, and that they thought the reason why a lot of people hated it, was because B&K's documentation of its capabilities wasn't that great. When the B&K people explained to SGHT about all that the remote was capable of, they kind of really liked it.
2) Crossover settings: in general, you want to set it at least 1 full octave above the low freq extension of your speakers. For example, a 60 Hz crossover would be a good setting if your mains are flat to 30 Hz. So, because most mains are *not* flat to 20 Hz (in spite of any company's marketing propaganda), it is rare that 40 Hz should ever be chosen. But your ears have to be the judge.
3) Dang, the 2 channel direct analog bypass cannot use that fixed 80 Hz analog crossover that the 5.1 analog inputs have access too. And, seems a lot like the Rotel in that they say that the digital crossover to the subwoofer is *still* available even for the 2 channel direct bypass analog mode.
Got to read some more now...

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
I thought you could use CES in dts mode but the way the manual reads you can not, as it says DD-ces music and cinema modes but for dts it doesn't list CES, am I incorrect ? Also I take it that CES has no tweakable settings as none are listed ?

One other question the manual states different s/n ratios for different outputs but all s/n numbers hover around 100 db, Isnt this a fairly good amount of noise ? versues other units..

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
John C.: Yes. Sub is gone in 2 channel stereo bypass mode.
But on pg 13: "Stereo: This mode provides conventional 2 channel signals to the left and right front speakers only." Hopefully this is wrong. The mains are supposed to crossover to the sub if it is *not* in analog bypass mode, right?
John T.: Yeah, I don't see "DTS CR-C" or "DTS CR-M" modes either. :frowning:
Could it be that DTS NEO:6 Cinema and DTS NEO:6 Music does the same thing? :)
On pg 28: "NOTE: There is no delay function for the subwoofer." (Just like the Rotel.) Why not? My 3 year old Sony TA-E9000ES has a setting for the distance to the sub. I guess you have to set the phase on the sub for maximum output with the mains to get the sub's "distance" in relationship to the mains right, correct? The only problem with this is: what if you adjust it to 360 degrees out of phase? Time alignment is gone, but you're fooled into thinking that it's correct. Am I missing something here?
The selection of the source does seem kind of funky. You select the source 1st (CD, DVD, TV, etc: top of the remote) but then you might also have to cycle the digital inputs attached to that source (the "digital" button, lower left), but then the Aux input sources are in an even different place on the remote: mid right side! :thumbsdown:

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
John C.: NO. The sub is NOT GONE in two-channel stereo bypass mode. Page 6: "However, the subwoofer DSP crossover remains active and bass frequencies are available at the subwoofer output should you wish to augment your front LR speaker's low frequency performance."

There sure are a lot of glass-half-empty folks around here.

W

Will

I will use the sub in most cases. How difficult is it to play some music in a 2 channel direct bypass mode and to also, at the same time, disengage the crossover to the sub? Do I just turn the sub off, or must I do more?

Will

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Bob:
There sure are a lot of glass-half-empty folks around here.
My glass has Full Sail in it, how about yours? :)
(Did a taste test of my 2 favorite Bitters last night: Red Hook ESB and Full Sail Amber. They are both really good, but for different reasons. Sorry...)
Well, what I think *should* happen when you switch to 2 channel analog bypass mode, is that the mains should go full range and sub should turn off, otherwise like Will spotted, you either have to turn down the level of the sub manually, or somehow turn off the crossover (by setting the mains to large?) to get the sub to turn off. Just that it's more than 1 simple step.
Otherwise you get "double bass."
But you are correct sir! :)
So, my fear of "stereo" mode only feeding the mains and not the sub as the manual would have us believe, is unfounded?
But this glass is all the way empty: no delay/distance setting for the sub. ('Course, the Rotel don't got that either for some reason.)

W

Will

My inexpensive two year old Sony receiver's stereo bypass mode turns off the bypass to the subwoofer. No double bass (using Kevin Brown's great definition). Maybe there are times when I might want double bass, but in general, I would want to be able to not have double bass. Or at least have a choice in whether to have it there, or not. :)

John Cain

Second Unit
"However, the subwoofer DSP crossover remains active and bass frequencies are available at the subwoofer output should you wish to augment your front LR speaker's low frequency performance."

Thanks Bob. So in other words, the by-pass mode provides the full range of frequencies to two channels L and R, AND it also provides bass below 80Hz to the Sub output as well??

Cool...

-- John

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Actually the Sony is very easy to use. One button gives you 2 channel music W/O the sub and the push of another button gives you 2 channel with sub. It's very convenient.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
If you want to defeat the possibility of all sub activity while using STERO BYPASS button.

You would seem to need to set Speakers to “large” and turn off the Sub, thru:

Main menu/Speaker Config/Sub/off or on.

No, ‘One or the other’ button choice as was mentioned in the Sony.

I am still wrestling with “cross-over” knowledge myself, (newbie) so perhaps there is a backdoor method of accomplishing the same effect if desired?

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Mary:

Until I actually have the Outlaw 950 here to try out, I don't know for sure. However, if you're using analog bypass, there is no bass management to your mains, so I'm guessing you don't need to change the speaker setting to "Large." It is already sending the unmodified signal to the mains.

I don't recall from browsing the manual what needs to be done to turn off the sub. In my case, if it isn't easily done from the remote, I can just turn off the sub's amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks