***Official Outlaw 950 Manual now available Thread ***

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob_L, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
  2. Patrick R. Sklenar

Patrick R. Sklenar Second Unit

Damn it!! You beat me!! I just found it too!

3. Jason Pancake

Jason Pancake Stunt Coordinator

You guys rock!!! Thanks for the link. Only 2 more months for me!! Yeah, I got on the waitlist March 11. This is at least a temporary "fix" if nothing else.

JP

4. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Outlaw is about to announce Version 1.0 of the manual for the 950 pre/pro. I've been given permission to upload it to my website as an interim measure.

For those who can't wait, check out the 950 section of my web site.

Note: Adobe Acrobat pdf file. 1.7 megs. 48 pages.

Enjoy!

5. Patrick R. Sklenar

Robert,
    Sorry old chum, you're getting a bit slow. Bob L. beat both of us! [​IMG]

6. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Well, I had to upload it to my site and that took a bit of time. I wanted to offer an alternate site if the Outlaw one bogs down.

Whatever.

The manual looks very nice (unlike the prototype I had several weeks ago.)

7. Patrick R. Sklenar

8. Patrick R. Sklenar

{deleted dupe posting caused by merging of threads}

9. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

I suspect that the 950s will start showing up in the early adopters' homes very shortly. I'm currently on the road and at the mercy of dial up service and dataports. Hopefully, when I get back to my DSL line there will be lots of reviews by these people.

Ladies and Gentlemen, start your engines!

10. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

11. Will

Will Guest

According to the manual:

12. Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson Second Unit

Matthew Anderson
    [​IMG] Bob and Patrick,
    Thanks so much for the quick information and links. I did not think it would appear until later on in the day on Friday.

13. Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson Second Unit

Matthew Anderson
    Thanks Robert for the information. Drive safely.

14. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    Yes, I DID! I beat you BOTH!! Nyaaa, nyyaaaa, nyaaa.

However, I did give Robert credit for finding the site originally. I may skulk around dark Internet alleys in search of manuals but I do give credit where it's due.

[​IMG]

And, Robert, how could you go on the road at a time like THIS??!!!?? [​IMG]

Man, I am SO ready for this. The penultimate piece of my HT upgrade arrived today -- the Samson S1000.

So I have my new/used Aragon 8008x3, the SVS 20-39, Samson S1000 (yeah, it's too much for the 20-39 but I got a great price and it leaves me upgrade room), two more NHT 1.5's, and a very nice pair of stands for them. [I admit, it was HT blowout time in LA.)

When that Outlaw 950 arrives, you will see and hear very little of me for the next several days. Well ... you may HEAR something if you're within a 50 miles radius. YOWSER!!

15. MoG

MoG Stunt Coordinator

First 'typo' (maybe I should post this over at Outlaw?)
    Page 12, 1st paragraph, 2nd sentence...
    "available. You can choose from Dolby Pro Logic® II, Dolby Digital® 5.1, Dolby Digital EX®, DTS®, DTS-ES® Discrete, DTS-ES® Matrix, DTS NEO:6® and Cirrus Extra Surround® and
    Dolby Pro Logic II®."
    I know manuals have been printed, but at least the PDF can be updated easily.
    so far a great manual though...(well, as great as a manual can be [​IMG]

16. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

So is anyone up for questions on the remote? What I'm wondering is how you select the component function that the 950 itself controls. I don't mean the function buttons at the top of the remote to control the component itself, but there should be an input mode on the remote that for example allows you to control the DVD volume, and then switch to control the CD volume etc? If you select the "AUD" button, which controls the 950, and you want to turn the DVD player up or down, how is this accomplished? I hope this doesn't sound too confusing, it's just that the only non Pronto remote I've ever seen that does this is the Sony RM VL900.

17. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    Hey, MoG, they LIKE Dolby ProLogic II twice as much as the other modes.
    [​IMG]

18. Will

Will Guest

19. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

I would think that those of you who find copy errors should, if you wish, post your findings over on the Outlaw site. And, of course, in this brave new printing world manuals are no longer what they once were.

True, some people like the comfort of a professionally printed manual, but the reality is that pdf files are much more adaptable to correction and change.

I found this new manual so far superior to the "prototype" I saw a few weeks ago that it couldn't have been written by the same person. This manual gives one a feeling for the capabilities of the 950. However, it should also be noted that not everyone will find everything they need or want in this manual. And that's where supplementary "Tips and Techniques" will start appearing to address as many requests as practical. A basic manual should walk you through the set-up and basic use of a component as well as a bit of troubleshooting if necessary. In depth discussion is really something that belongs in supplementary materials since to try to cover every aspect would be overkill for lots of people.

On the other hand, those who wish to know more should be given resources to do this. I think that's in the Outlaw gameplan.

Yes, I'm going to be on the road, but as I stated, I hope to be in touch albeit via dial up service. I'll check my e-mail and, hopefully, surf a bit. But my time online will be limited. Instead I'm going to be spending time with the grandkids and the family.

Time for others to take center stage for a bit.

I'll be lurking and back in force in a while.

20. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

A couple of quick answers then I'm outta here for a bit.
    Will,
    I used 80Hz for my M&K speakers since that's the best fit for them. I would think that you set your crossover points for the speakers' capabilities.
    Russell,
    I know exactly what you are talking about as this is something I dealt with when Outlaw sent me the final remote a few weeks ago. When you select AUD the universal remote becomes the 950 remote (the default) but when you select any other button in the top area (CD, VCR, etc. etc.) then the remote becomes a remote for that component if you wish. However, these universal remotes have a "volume control punch through" (See page #39) which allows you to assign the volume and mute controls to the 950 (AUD) no matter which device you have selected.
    Works like a charm (just like the universal volume and mute on the Pronto.) The only thing about the remote that I found took me a little time to get used to was remembering that if I hit another button (like DVD) I have to remember to hit AUD (the 950 button) again to be able to use the many functions of the 950.
    I would think that a lot of this will eventually be covered in "Tips and Techniques" on the Outlaw website once it becomes clear what areas need further clarification.
    This is one of those "Stay tuned..." items.
    That's it for now.