What's new

Official Oscar Nominations and Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Which would be very sad, considering there is already a "Lifetime Achievement Award" should the Academy desire to award it. The only reason Scorsese should win is if "The Departed" is truly the year's best directed film. The buzz would seem to indicate it's not.

I wish it were possible to wipe the memories of voters just prior to each year's Oscar voting so we don't get the pity votes from "well, they should have won for Film X, but they didn't so we'll vote for them this time even though it wasn't really the best of the year."

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member

I agree with you on these, and add...

Love for the brilliant Pan's Labyrinth! Yay!

The 3 Mexicans all getting something! Yay!

Marie Antoinette not shut out! Yay!

The Good German, The Good Shepherd, The Illusionist, The Prestige, Curse of the Golden Flower all getting some love! Yay!

Penelope, the Babel girls! Yay!

Leo for Blood Diamond!!! Yay!

No Shut Up and Sing...boo (but I don't know what I'd take out since the field seems so strong)

No Volver for Foreign Language...boo (but again, I don't know what I'd take out).

Peter O'Toole! Yay! (I saw Venus last night and he deserves that nom)

Not counting Documentary, Foreign Language or Shorts, I've seen everything except Half Nelson, United 93, Click(!) and Poseidon.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Honestly, I would have nominated Damon above Mark in Departed; Mark's role was barely there.. yes he was good, but we're not talking a lot of "support"

Out of this crowd, I'm pulling for Departed.
I find it humorous Beyonce got shut out of Best Actress. I think it was clear after a while that Hudson had a better potential campaign (and I think she will win)

Dissappointed a bit in CoM, but I blame that as much on the studio as anything else. I think years from now, when I look back at this year in films, CoM and the Departed will be the movies I pull out of the library. Just like when I think of '94 I think of Shawshank and Pulp.

Good to see LMS get some nods. Disappointed to see Sascha not get a nod, some of the nods I really disagree with.

I doubt I'll watch this year. Too easy to quickly get the stats on the internet while I'm doing better things.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I haven't been following the Oscars or the noms nearly as closely as I have in past years - the year just hasn't been that interesting to me - but the lack of Dreamgirls does surprise me after all the hype.

I'm wondering if Martin will get his Directing Oscar this year or if that slide in of "Iwo Jima" indicates yet another year where Eastwood gets in his way.

I haven't seen Babel, I'll need to I suppose, to judge it better.

I'll also restrain myself from making some snarky remark concerning the lack of a Dreamgirls BP nom and the fact that it's not only associated with the African American community, but it's also a gay community staple, and then relate it back to Brokeback Mountain last year - I think I restrained myself enough.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Some quick trivia notes from having just looked at the past nominees for best cinematography and best picture:

(1) Cinematography was split into separate black+white and color categories for many years. 1967 was the first awards year since the late '30s when there was only one cinematography category. So, for the purposes of comparing cinematography nominees in previous years to the current era, the directly comparable years don't really start until '67.

(2) There isn't always a lot of overlap between the nominees for cinematography and picture. Since '67, it looks like there usually 2 or 3 overlapping nominees in those two categories. Sometimes there was only one, plus a handful of times when there were four.

(3) But, since '67, this does appear to be the first year where there's no overlap between the nominees for cinematography and picture.

ted:r

Second Unit
From what I can tell, of the Big 6 categories, the only one that seem really open is Best Pic. It's hard to see Scorsese, Whittaker, Murphy, Hudson, and Mirren losing, given everything. As for Best Pic...maybe it will break down in the next couple of weeks, but I'd imagine that the winner will do no better than 30% of the vote were we able to see the vote totals.

Right now I'd say the order was Babel, Letters, Departed, Sunshine and Queen. But would it shock and stun me if The Queen took it? Not at all. There don't seem to be dark horses in this race, just imperceptible shades of grey.

Mark Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
Borat for best adapted screenplay?

I thought the movie was hilarious, but was there even a script?!!

Oh that's right, they give it Best Adapted because it was popular and they had to give it something, but they can't give it one of the "big" ones, no sir.

Further proof that the Acadamy is retarded.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
I'm very happy about the noms for Pan's Labyrinth, especially Original Score. :emoji_thumbsup: I'm also glad Children of Men and The Prestige got something (and with those three in, Cinematography becomes one of the more exciting categories for me).

I can't get too excited about the Best Picture race, though. I've only seen two out of the five (Babel and The Departed) and neither of them impressed me all that much.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
So Dreamgirls has the most total nominations, but it was shut out of best picture. Anyone know if that's ever happened before? If it has--it might not have--it's gotta be very rare.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S

Yes there was a very good script, almost every single situation in the film was carefully scripted and rehearsed, ones where Borat is interacting with actual people were improved, but Cohen had scripted moments he wanted to hit even then.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I don't know if it's happened before, but the only reason it happened this year is because the film scored THREE Best Song nods. I don't know if that's happened before either.

Second Unit
Another trivial Note: Anyone notice that the 5 nominated films contain only 1 nomination in the lead acting categories? By my counts, that's the lowest since 1932, which also had 1. (Wallace Beery, "The Champ")

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, 3 of those noms are all in "Best Song," so it's not like it swept every category except BP.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Not sure what are the criteria for Visual Effects, but I am a but surprised by Pan's absence.

--
H

Second Unit
"My Man Godfrey" did get six nominations (actor, actress, supporting actor, supporting actress, director and screenplay) and was not nominated for best pic in 1937, while "Libelled Lady" got one nomination, for best pic.

One does wonder what the Academy thought was lacking in Godfrey...

Edit: Lili was also nomindated for 6 in and missed out in Best Pic.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I wouldn't feel too bad for Pan's Labyrinth. With Volver out, and with its 6 nominations, surely it has to be the front-runner for best Foreign Language film.

Ray Suarez

Stunt Coordinator
Eddie Murphy ("I'm Gumby Dammit"), Marky Mark Wahlberg ("Good Vibrations") and Jackie Earle Haley (Kelly from Bad News Bears).....all with Oscar noms.....Let me check outside to see if the world has ended now.;)

But they earned it. Each of those performances were very, very good.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

That's true, although I think Dreamgirls is still the one this year that got nominated in the most categories, tied with Babel at 6 categories each.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks