What's new

*** Official Oscar Nominations and Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I don't have cable so I'm not familiar with Jon Stewart. Found him funny and likeable. I was even more tickled at the audience reaction or lack thereof. And then his reaction to the walleyes of the luminaries.

Ben Stiller's skit was mildly amusing for the first few seconds and turned to novocaine...no the drilling afterwards.

Has anyone talked about Tom Hanks? Walking toward the dais, he shouted out at Stewart what appeared to be 'douchebag' and 'fucking prick'.

Considering his normally even keeled public demeanor coupled with the setting & circumstances, I was surprised that this hasn't triggered any discussion.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I loved Jon Stewart's performance. He was funny and sarcastic. It's normal that the Hollywood people didn't laugh much because it was mostly pointed at them. I loved the joke where he talked about pirating and said look at the people you are pirating! :D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
:eek:
Maybe it hasn't triggered discussion because you're the only one who even thought whatever he mouthed was that? I watched it in HD, and admittedly I wasn't paying close attention to everything, but I didn't catch the moment you are talking about.

I can see someone being able to lipread the F-bomb (watching coaches in the NBA and NFL I can see it quite often). But I just tried to silently mouth the words you say Hanks said, and the lip movements aren't so unique that he couldn't have said something else (as opposed to just F@#k which really is about the only thing you can say with that mouth movement).

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

Whoops, screwed that one up, as it turns out...Saving Private Ryan, of course, had also won both the directors and producers guild awards, but lost the Oscar to Shakespeare in Love.

Brokeback did, I'm pretty sure, become the first movie to win Producers, Directors, and Writers Guild awards without winning the Oscar for best picture. However, including the Writers Guild there is mitigated by the fact that it wasn't directly competing against Crash, which did win the Writers Guild award for original screenplay, while Brokeback won for adapted (just like at the Oscars). Saving Private Ryan, on the other hand, did lose in direct competition to Shakespeare in Love at the Writers Guild (and at the Oscars) for best original screenplay.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Kinda repeating what others have said, but I gotta give my kudos for the actress attack ads - my favorite part. I thought the monologue was okay, but having just watched it again I have to say it fares better the second time. And that homosexuality in westerns montage was tame compared to what Conan did a couple nights earlier.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Also, I managed to predict the most number of awards at my gathering, but the one I was most proud of predicting was "It's Hard Out Here for A Pimp." When it got the award all my guests were staring at the TV with their mouths hanging open. Of course they didn't have the pleasure of hearing it in the context of the film, which I'm sure would have made them root for it too. After hearing the song featured on NPR at least three times since the film's release, I figured it had a good shot of winning.

And as far as the best dressed, I have to give that credit to Jessica Alba. She looked amazing.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Yeah, Helena was a definite "What was she thinking?" moment. What is up with the big ass dome hair trend this year?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Does anybody have any links to the "Gay Western Montage" from the beginning of the show.

I would love to see that again, and show it to a few friends, that love westerns also.

Thanks!

Jace_A

Second Unit

No, he wasn't. He looked mighty pissed. There's a time and place for language like that and it aint on primetime at the Oscars. I've heard a few things about Hanks' behaviour on the set of The DaVinci Code(glug, glug) and this performance is pretty consistent with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks