What's new

*** Official OPEN WATER Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Is it safe to assume they fed a real shark that camera just so they could later gut him onscreen and have it fall out? I'm sure the meat was put to good use, but seems a little unfair...

WillG

Senior HTF Member
quote:Is it safe to assume they fed a real shark that camera just so they could later gut him onscreen and have it fall out? I'm sure the meat was put to good use, but seems a little unfair...

Probably not, there are all sorts of activists that love to put the smackdown on anyone harming a living creature. Even films that use insects must adhere to this. Feeding a camera to a live shark only to gut it later would cause problems, I would imagine. The long shot of the shark's belly being cut open may have been real. The close up, where we see the camera could have been fake.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
I thought it was a very sad and disturbing film.

quote:the movie isn't over until the credits end

And not until the blue rating card comes on screen.

Jesse Blough

Second Unit
"I don't know why, but for some reason the scene at the end when she pushed him away to get eaten, REALLY bothered me bigtime. If I were going down, I would hold on to the one I loved as long as possible."

She had to push him away or else she would have been eaten alive by the sharks who would be attracted to the dead body.

Then she realized that she wasn't going to survive either so she drowned herself so she wouldn't be eaten alive.

I liked the ending, chilling.
thumbsup.gif

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
An idea about the camera in the shark ~ perhaps it was all real footage that they acquired before shooting the film and then found a similar camera to shoot the rest of the film with? Seems plausable, plus after watched the ending three times I see no editing at all.

Anyways, just picked up the DVD today and I gotta say I was disappointed. It didn't scare me or leave me in suspense. They needed more of the nighttime scenes, and the set up in the beginning was boring and unnecessary. However the thunderstorm rocked my system and house! Thanks for a great DVD Lion Gate, please do the same with Saw!!

Mike

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

Which brings me to the biggest piece of non-reality nonsense in the movie. No crew ... anywhere ...count or no count ... is ever, ever, ever going to forget and leave behind a woman that is that fine. Never going to happen!

Eric Bass

Second Unit
Just rented this DVD. I thought it was fantastic. A little rocky at the start as you get used to the low budget feel, but you get used to it. Personally I found most of the things people complain about as strengths. But I tend to be a minimalist when it comes to movies. A lot of people think the unspectacular characters and dialogue make the movie boring. I thought the absence of the Hollywood engineered feel made it much scarier and much more depressing. Nothing takes me out of a movie faster than obviously scripted dialogue and unecessary camera work. It should be boring, with brief periods of terror, which is I imagine how being stuck in the ocean for hours on end would be. The end scene works perfectly. You get to the point, like her, where you're waiting with each second for the attack to come. I don't know how long I could deal with that before I took the road she did...not long probably.

Having said that...I went in with almost zero knowledge about the film. I'm thinking the more you know ahead of time about this movie the less enjoyable it would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks