What's new

*** Official OPEN RANGE Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Bob Drugan

Agent
I took my Dad to see this yesterday and we both thought it was excellent. Loved Charley's response when he asked the hired gun if he killed his friend - some of the audience clapped for that.

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
I'm guessing that scenes were cut from this film due to time. Butler's character seemed way underdeveloped. By the time he showed up (and left!), I almost forgot his arm was broken based on implication earlier in the film. I'm sure the audience's cheer later in the film would have been much more enthusiastic if his character was more played out (ya know what scene I'm talking about!).

A fan of Michael Kamen, I was a bit disappointed with the film score. The main theme is just a variation of his earlier work, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, specifically the Baron/Venus waltz.

Percy seemed so familiar to me (and funny too! What a way to get someone's attention!), his character kept tugging at me throughout the film. It wasn't until I saw the dedication to Michael Jeter that it "clicked". The cinematography sucked me in so much, I didn't catch his name in the opening credits!. I'm really gonna miss the guy...

very good western in my opinion with one of the best gunfights I've seen on film.
I agree. This is another film (Unforgiven being the other) where gunfighters are accurately shown; You either "have it" or you don't. Bravado will only take you so far.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
I really loved this film. Everything just clicked for me as a viewer. It just seemed more "real" to me than other modern Westerns (TOMBSTONE comes to mind).

The gunfight at the end just seemed so "realistic". I would guess that it's actually harder to hit someone with a gun than to miss, and the fight actually reflected that.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
the characters are set out in the beginning of the film, explained, and they never go anywhere
A bunch of 'em end up in a pine box :) For the rest, I would say that there is certainly some character advancement, in addition to the obvious superficial changes.

The movie's real purty too.

//Ken

david stark

Second Unit
Just been to see this and I'm a still a little unsure of it overall. In my opinion it was nowhere near as good as Unforgiven. As for comparing it to Tombstone I think this film is more ambitious. Tombstone was more of a blockbuster film than this with less emphasis on characters.

I did feel that at the end as the town starts to gang up on baxter was a bit odd. I can see that a lot of them wouldn't be happy with baxter, but also that baxter would have more friends. He had a lot of money so you would have thought that quite a few people in town depended on his money to survive.

Overall there could have been more screen time for baxter and his henchmen as they are hardly seen until the end.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I posted my review in the Review Thread, so if you read that you'll see that I was disappointed in some key aspects of the film. But it was mostly enjoyable, and I certainly won't discourage anyone from seeing it.

Let me know if anyone else experienced the following during their viewing:

Boss and Charley return to the camp and find Button shot and beaten. No reaction from the audience. They then find Mose lying dead with a bullet in his head. No reaction from the audience. Then there's a shot of Old Tig lying on the ground. Audible gasps and cries from the audience. :rolleyes:People! The dog was acting! I'm not trying to sound insensitive about their (manipulated) emotions, but I've seen audiences react this way before and it always strikes me as odd.

Also I have to elaborate on one complaint that I touched on in the review thread. I don't understand the point of the scene in the saloon following the shootout or Charley's false exit in the following scenes. Either bring Charley and Sue together immediately, or send him off into the sunset. Prolonging the resolution of the relationship for those few extra scenes after the primary conflict of the film was already resolved felt completely unnecessary to me.

Brad

david stark

Second Unit
Boss and Charley return to the camp and find Button shot and beaten. No reaction from the audience. They then find Mose lying dead with a bullet in his head. No reaction from the audience. Then there's a shot of Old Tig lying on the ground. Audible gasps and cries from the audience. People! The dog was acting! I'm not trying to sound insensitive about their (manipulated) emotions, but I've seen audiences react this way before and it always strikes me as odd.
It seemed to me that Charley was more concerned about his dog being shot than he was about Mose. Not sure if this was supposed to be something about Charley caring for the dog as the dog was innocent like a child wheras all adults are guilty like we find he views himself as guilty of many crimes.

and did anyone else notice Annette Bening wearing a wrist watch? It was very near the end when Charley returns and Sue is doing the gardening and she gets up and throws her arms around him. She is wearing leather gloves, but I thought I caught a glimpse of a wrist watch on her left (I think) wrist. I only saw it very briefly in one shot so I can't be sure if it was a watch or maybe something just reflecting and making a brief flash.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Really enjoyed "Open Range" best adult film to come along since "Chicago" and Hey, no rapid in-your-face style editing like most of todays action blockbusters. Just a quite moving story about real people and a real problem solved in a logical way.

The film has it's flaws, it could be shortened by about 15 minutes and the three endings could have been reduced/condensed into one. The few( and I do mean few) CGI effects were a little jarring.

Also, a few of the lines should have been either changed or removed - I could hardly believe my ears when Kevin Cosnter says "I'm gonna rustle me up some food" isn't that the most over used cliche phrase in the genre? There were a few others which did cause a few snickers, but on the whole the film is a must see.

Duvall, Benning and the supporting cast are outstanding and Conster is, well Conster - he does lack the srceen presence of Mel Gibson and Russel Crowe but he did a good job directing the film.

:emoji_thumbsup: Kevin

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Saw Open Range this evening and I'll add a brief post as I don't feel up to a review at this time of evening...

First, I humbly disagree with a lot of the criticism that I'm reading in this thread and in the Review thread. Especially the political allegory, which really feels like a stretch; and criticisms directed at character development and lack of remorse.

The film is not perfect, but it has a lot going for it and I believe it to be a fine Western. My chief complaints are a story that felt somewhat incomplete and the film's multiple denouements that felt choppy and mis-handled.

On the plus side the film was very well cast. Duvall continues to impress with a great, humanistic performance that served as an effective counterpoint to Costner's muted Charlie Waite. Annette Benning was just fine as well, and it was really nice to see a mature, and 'handsomest' woman in that type of role. Michael Jeeter gave an endearing performance that was one of the high points of the film.

The film used its scenic vistas to great effect with several memorable shots and reminded me of the visual power that inhabits those Westerns that wish to showcase themselves in that manner.

I particularly liked the interaction between Duvall and Costner and how their different philosophies and approaches to life defined the relationship between them. All in all a fine Western that I found to be very enjoyable. Recommended.

- Walter.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
This film came as a complete surprise to me. I hadn't even heard of it two weeks ago, and now it stands alongside Finding Nemo as my favorite film of the summer. In my book Costner is now 2.5 out of 3 as a director (I'm in the camp that found The Postman a noble failure). It seems to me he may be settling into a Clint Eastwood-type career as he gets into his post-leading man years, and if he continues to make films like this that's fine with me.

I have to say, I was shocked when I walked into the theater this morning (11:30 AM Sunday show) and found the large house completely packed. It looks like there's still a large audience out there for this type of film when it's done as well as this one is.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I have to say, I was shocked when I walked into the theater this morning (11:30 AM Sunday show) and found the large house completely packed. It looks like there's still a large audience out there for this type of film when it's done as well as this one is.
The place was pretty crowded when I saw it Sunday afternoon, and the audience gave it a strong ovation when the credits came up. It's the first movie I've seen an audience do that for since The Two Towers. I can see it getting good word of mouth because it avoids so much of what audiences have been getting sick of this summer.

I loved the details in the movie, like the wavy glass and how loud the gunshots were :)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Concerning the dog, I think it gets to people for the same reason it would a child. Its basically unable to defend itself.

I have mixed feelings about this film,and may have to see it again. I thought it was beautifully shot, it was just amazing to look at, and the gun fight IS one of the best Ive seen.Awesome:emoji_thumbsup:

"They don't show remorse for killing, they don't show concern for others"

I didnt see it this way at all.I was touched by their loyalty to their friend.

"Loved Charley's response when he asked the hired gun if he killed his friend - some of the audience clapped for that."

It was a full house at the viewing I went to, and alot of people clapped at that scene.

I was suprised about the amount of people in the theater too,but alot of people were off from work here in NY on Friday due to the blackout and went to the movies. The early showing was cancelled because they didnt have time to splice the film together in Thurs night. Quite a few people got turned away around noon and ended up getting tickets for later.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Especially the political allegory, which really feels like a stretch
Since (a) the novel on which the film is based was published in 1990, (b) given normal development time, the script undoubtedly predates 9/11, and (c) the script was written before Costner was involved, which is the crux of a lawsuit against the screenwriter by his former partner, I'd say the political "allegory" isn't so much a "stretch" as a contortion. ;)

M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Believe me, Walter, compared to my spontaneous reaction after seeing the film and then reading the political "analysis", that was diplomatic. ;)

M.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Is it just me, or was Costner going a bit overboard with the vistas? It seems like he needed one for every scene change, and it felt like it was a bit overkill.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Is it just me, or was Costner going a bit overboard with the vistas? It seems like he needed one for every scene change, and it felt like it was a bit overkill.
Having grown up in flat northern Indiana, I could watch those vistas all day, especially when they are as well framed and exposed as Costner's in OPEN RANGE.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Just my 2 cents on the film. Great movie. I enjoyed it very much and is almost as good as Unforgiven. I said almost. :) It does have one of the best gunfights I have ever seen in a film.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
It does have one of the best gunfights I have ever seen in a film.
Oh yes...that will get lots of spins in my DVD player! :emoji_thumbsup:

It just seemed so realistic, like I mentioned above. It wasn't cartoonish or too actionish. Just gritty and real.

One other thing about this movie was the suspense, particularly in the nighttime rainy scenes. I was on the edge of my seat, expecting one of our heroes to get jumped or shot.

MichaelW

Stunt Coordinator
Just a couple of thoughts.

Did anyone else find it somewhat ironic...

that boss goes to all that trouble to talk Charley out of killing that guy and then at the end of the movie the crowd runs around killing the last few bad guys remaining?

that boss plugs the baron with about 4 shots to the body, and yet we all think better of him for not shooting him in the head just prior to his dying?

that not only Charley, but the audience in the movie theater seems more upset at the death of Tig than of Mose? I think it's something about Westerns... the worst thing a person can possibly do is kill a dog... Silverado is another example.

Great gunfight. I'll have to give it tops for the most realistic gunfight in a western. (Although I've never been a gunfight so I'm not sure what my opinion means) (As an aside - most realistic swordfight in my opinion still goes to Rob Roy)

One of the best lines in the movie (not exact, perhaps someone can correct me): "A man's trust is a valuable thing in this world, it'd be shame to lose it over a hand of cards."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks