*** Official ONG-BAK: THE THAI WARRIOR Review Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Patrick Sun, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I saw this film today. I thought it was shot a little too dank and dark for my tastes, but the action is pretty jaw-droppingly amazing. Tony Jaa's eye-foot coordination is crazy insane. After awhile, though, I think I suffered fatigue from all the martial arts action as it got to be a little too repetitive and cartoony at times, plus the multiple angle replays seemed to throw off the momentum of the action sequences.

There are quite a few good laughs that develop from the action sequences, and chase scenes. Sometimes, the action felt like videogame martial arts action in its intensity and brutality (as in "They'll definitely leave a mark" variety of blows and kicks).

The forces at play are a little too stark in good and bad, but as a vehicle to show off Tony Jaa's skills, it's not bad.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Ong Bak: The Thai Warrior". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Liked the film, plenty of action and humor. The multi-angle replays became too much for me at times. Otherwise, I enjoyed my theater experience.

Crawdaddy

4. Dave Hackman

Dave Hackman Stunt Coordinator

This type of effort isn’t going to be good enough anymore.

A young country moron is sent from a village of idiots to the nearby city in quest of a statue that has been recently stolen. This statue is what will determine whether their village will live long and prosperous or suffer the wrath of the inept guardian of the holy head.

Tree boy (Tony Jaa) knee chops and flying elbows his foes at will until his Joint-Ritis wears thin. There are some tournaments fights and some street fights that become more ridiculous as time passes. I call these nerf fights because each participant absorbs about 8 million blows before retiring for a nap. There is an Olympic hurdling moment that is milked through replays and feels a little gimmicky to say the least.

What you have here is martial arts dancing in its most primal state. Get in your cave and bang your bone to this garbage.

This blows

D-