What's new

***Official ONCE UPON A TIME IN MEXICO Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
I loved Desperado when I first seen it in high school. I can not wait for this movie to come out. I still haven't seen el mariachi, I've heard that it was better than Desperado many times before.

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Re: Casting

Sure, Cheech's bartender was killed in Desperado, but has everyone forgotten that Trejo's Navajas was killed too? I really don't think Rodriguez is too concerned with continuity like that, especially when he recasts Banderas as El Mariachi and then sticks Carlos Gallardo in what basically amounts to a cameo as Campa. If you check out the listing for OUATIM on IMDB, you'll see that Cheech and Trejo are playing different roles this time around.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
Just like what Sergio Leone did with the DOLLARS trilogy. Same actors, different parts in the next film.

Felipe S

Stunt Coordinator
Yup. IMDB shows Cheech and Danny Trejo play different characters in Desperado and Once upon a time in mexico.

Ushabye

Projectionist
Real Name
Paul
Wasn't this shot about two years ago? He squeezed filiming in just before the threatened actors strike was suppose to happen, I cant remember when that was exactly, at least 2 years though. It's been on the shelf while he made the Spy Kids movies.

DanR

Supporting Actor
I'm there too. Looks like Desperado on Steriods.

BTW, how great is that opening scene with Steve Buscemi in Desperado?

Regards,
Dan

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
Just pulled out Desperado again last night. Watched it in 5.1 glory with the speakers cranked. I'll never get sick of this movie. The music alone draws you in.

You're right though Dan. The opening scene is awesome. "In walks the biggest Mexican I've ever seen.....It was if the lights dimmed, just for him.....The bartender never gets killed.":laugh:

And also- Best. Action. Scenes. Ever.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Got to see an early screening last night and I don't know what to make of it. I think I was let down a bit.

The plot was a bit confusing, involving the president of Mexico, a drug lord, a crooked general, an FBI agent, a CIA agent, and of course, El Mariachi. If reading that sentence gives you a headache, now you know how I felt last night.

Anyway, it was more of the same. Same style of action and gore as Desperado. I thought that some of the action scenes were actually lower quality than Desperado. Way overdone, like bad guys getting thrown in the air after getting shot once. It was cool the first 10 times it was done but it got tired afterwards.

I think Johnny Depp was the only thing enjoyable in this movie. He's got the best lines and you can always depend on him to give you a solid performance.

I'll let you guys be your own judge but in my opinion, I think I'm glad this is the final movie in the Mariachi Trilogy. Maybe Robert Rodriguez should stick to Spy Kids.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Thanks for the mini-review. I am merely going for JD (and Eva and Salma as candy), and some shoot-em-ups. I expect no more plausibility than a WB cartoon.

I appreciate the heads up!

Take care,
Chuck

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Just caught a screening last night.

Overall I was disappointed, but it wasn't a bad flick. I thought it had too much plot, too many characters, and the action wasn't very well done.

Johnny Depp actually had more screen time than Antonio Banderas! It's no surprise that Depp actually carries the film.

Overall I thought it was good entertainment, but it's no El Mariachi and it certainly isn't Desperado.

3/5

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I remember first hearing "Pistolero" by Juno Reactor and thinking "this would make a great theme for a Desperado-esque movie!" (honestly, I would fantasize I was the action-hero in a Desperado-esque type movie whenever I would listen to that song :b ).

And lo & behold, a few years later I'm seeing this trailer with "Pistolero" blaring! Awesome!

Rodriguez must be reading my brainwaves via satellite. Time for another layer of tin-foil.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Regarding Salma in this movie...

Those of you expecting eye candy from her will be disappointed. You'll see what I mean when you check out the movie.

BTW, Eva does look damn good in this movie! Is she the one playing Denzel's girl in TRAINING DAY? All I remember is this girl on all fours in bed while Denzel is counting his money.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

What a money shot! :D

AJ Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
AJ
I remember first hearing "Pistolero" by Juno Reactor and thinking "this would make a great theme for a Desperado-esque movie!" (honestly, I would fantasize I was the action-hero in a Desperado-esque type movie whenever I would listen to that song ). And lo & behold, a few years later I'm seeing this trailer with "Pistolero" blaring! Awesome! Rodriguez must be reading my brainwaves via satellite. Time for another layer of tin-foil.
I guess you'll be happy to know Juno Reactor's Pistolero is also used in OUTIM.

This is the track listing for the soundtrack....

ONCE UPON A TIME IN MEXICO
01 Malagueña by Brian Setzer
02 Traeme Paz by Patricia Vonne
03 Eye Patch
04 Yo Te Quiero by Marcos Loya
05 Guitar Town
06 Church Shootout
07 Pistolero by Juno Reactor
08 Me Gustas Tu by Manu Chao
09 Sands Theme by Tonto?s Giant Nuts
10 Dias de Los Angeles by Del Castillo
11 The Man With No Eyes
12 Mariachi vs. Marquez
13 Flor De Mal by Tito Larriva and Steven Hufsteter
14 Chicle Boy
15 Coup De Etat
16 El Mariachi
17 Siente Mi Amor by Salma Hayek
18 Cuka Rocka (bonus track) by Chingón

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks